Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Display site] Slush Pile Reader

practical experience, FTW SDBmania's Avatar

[Display site] Slush Pile Reader

I just came across this site thanks to myspace and I was curious about what you guys and gals think about it. It sounds like a neat idea.

Basically, readers read 50 pages of a submitted novel to the site. Then the readers vote on their favorites. The manuscripts that get the most votes are then published by slushpile and marketed as well.

A number of questions come up. It sounds good, but it is a new organization. Which makes me wonder how much marketing power they have? It seems like a legitimate site and it's not quite ready yet. But, once its finished, I think it would be interesting to see what happens. I don't think there is much risk in submitting, they claim you keep you copyright to your work(they won't register it) and will want exclusive printing rights I assume. There will probably be some kind of contract once your manuscript is chosen, if it is.

Anyway, here is a link: http://www.slushpilereader.com/default.asp
    Take a look and tell me what you think. I've actually just finished my second manuscript and am editing it while we speak. I'm not sure I'm going to participate in this, but I just may since it does sound interesting.

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    sounds pretty assinine to me. But that's just an opinion.

ETA: Some crackpot without talent could get 100 friends to vote on his. You know what...even that scenario aside...it is, in my opinion quite stupid and I wouldn't give it the time of day.
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page if you're at all interested.

Thanks for your thoughts. It could either work well or fall flat. Still, it would require a lot of people reading the stories and voting. Let's say only a handful of people vote. It wouldn't give me a lot of confidence.

Still, any positive feedback is nice to have, even if the site doesn't work out.

I'm still going to look for a legit literary agent for sure. Editing will take a while anyway.

I don't think it sounds so assinine. The site itself seems well made and honest. It isn't full of advertising garbage. There aren't any fees, and nothing is promised.

Seems that it may be for real.

Maybe a place for that trunk novel eh? Better than in the trunk. Who knows...
    . . . but what he loved was her loving it, her slightly spurious way of loving things which seemed lovable. (-Walker Percy)

That was my first impression, Ziljon.

I'll probably, like I may have already said, still query my manuscript to literary agents once I finish editing it.

But, I am kind of anxious to see what becomes of this slushpile site.

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    And, if it all works out, you get published by SlushPile? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    sounds pretty assinine to me. But that's just an opinion.

ETA: Some crackpot without talent could get 100 friends to vote on his. You know what...even that scenario aside...it is, in my opinion quite stupid and I wouldn't give it the time of day.
    Oh, that's pretty harsh, asinine?

Absurd, half-baked, daft, demented, ridiculous, silly maybe. But asinine? Hardly.
    Twitter | Pinterest | WordPress | Tumblr

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION

It's about deciding if the risk is worth it.

My main concern about their Marketing still stands. I think that even if you do get picked as the most popular story, I don't know if they have the marketing power.

The site could either do well or flop, as I have said before, I wanted to make sure some of us were watching the site to see what develops. I know I will be.

Still, the concept seems cool, having your worked judged by average people before that of a publisher or agent. Still, it's no guarentee.
    ((Sorry, dont have spellcheck on this PC)).

I write novels
    Quote Originally Posted by SDBmania View Post
    My main concern about their Marketing still stands.
    That's a pretty big concern.

Unless you want to throw away your novel for the sake of some instant feedback, you shouldn't bother with them.

Sounds sort of like First Chapters, but without a big name publisher behind it. I'd be wary to enter without seeing the terms of the contract. They claim it will be based on the Author's Guild model contract, but that still makes me a little nervous. "Based on" doesn't mean "good for the writer" in the end.

Also, the web site is run out of Norway, FWIW.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    If your book is good enough to get published it's good enough to get published by an established press with bookstore distribution.

This one sounds like YADS. I wouldn't bother.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Barely five months later, all that remains is the forum: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/mb/slushpilereader
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

The site is still going - they seem to have revamped a bit. Has anyone here used it? Is there any point, do you think?

http://www.slushpilereader.com/

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I don't see the point of getting published by them, unless they have significant distribution beyond the readers of the site. It completely blows any prospect of getting an agent or publisher for that work.

Hmm, it looks like they reorganized in Oct '09 and just went "live" again. It'll be interesting to see what gets published and how.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
    And, if it all works out, you get published by SlushPile? No thanks.
    ^ What she said. I'll stick to the majors

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    http://www.slushpilereader.com/index...=14&id=425#425

The second comment....uh yeah, no. Anyone who knows anything about slushpiles knows they're 95-98% crap. I'm not interested in wasting my time reading tons of crap in hoping to find something readable, and I don't think there are many out there who would either. Especially for free. Those who do read the slushpiles should be getting paid more for reading it! lol

I don't remember who basically said this, but I believe it's true: If display sites actually worked, there wouldn't be so many trying to fill a market (especially one that doesn't exist).
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Thanks for the comments. It does seem a bit pointless.

And its gone again.
    ICAO
    ---------

I wouldn't have the time or the patience to read through a slush pile.
    https://geeksruleothersdrool.wordpress.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Kim-Kouski-...?ref=bookmarks

"Richard, would psychoanalysis help?"

"Can't risk it. I once knew a writer who tried that route. Cured him of writing all right. But did not cure him of the need to write. The last I saw of him he was crouching in a corner, trembling. That was his good phase. But the mere sight of a wordprocessor would throw him into a fit."

THE CAT WHO WALKED THROUGH WALLS

My first Novel Hidden Secrets: On Amazon.com
    https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Secret...eywords=kouski