• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

BeWrite Books / Limitrophe Publishing

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
PS: I hope when the subject of BeWrite Books is exhausted (soon?), I'll be able to pop into some other threads here just to shoot the breeze without mention of my own place. Although there was a hint here that things might get heated, I've really enjoyed the exchange. OK, I've been close at times to tearing out what little hair I have left, but the company at the Water Cooler is the kind I like to keep. Thanks, chaps. Neil

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I know that you, with good cause, will not be one to be impressed by a bunch with their hearts in the right place. But that's who we are.
You do me a disservice, Neil. I'm always impressed with people whose hearts are in the right place and they're honest. I have no doubt that your authors are happy, and that you're doing all you possibly can for them. My only desire is that authors are fully aware of the various flavors of publishing so they are in the best position to make educated decisions. I wish you and your authors all the very best.

I echo Victoria's sentiments that you stayed cool through some tough questioning, and I do hope you come back. If it makes you feel any better, my feet touched the flames years ago, and deservedly so. It's to be expected with any new company. It's not done for the purpose of being a PITA, but to ensure author education.

Last edited:

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again. I hope the discussion's been as helpful to some others as it has been to me. I'll snatch some time over the weekend to take a look at some of the other threads. The Water Cooler's a busy place. Cheers. Neil

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, James. You could well be dead right.

I've done a lot of soul searching over the weekend and realise I'm going to have to put some serious thought into how to be even more sure that a prospective author knows every possible pitfall before even making a first submission, never mind at the stage where a full ms might be invited for consideration.

Please bear with me for a few days and I'll come back to explain how I feel I might be able to go about this. And if anyone could spare the time to respond, any further advice would be invaluable.

I really do appreciate what I've heard from everyone who's contributed to this thread and can assure you -- even though it may influence only one tiny house -- that the questions, responses and what I've learned from them will be well used to the benefit of everyone we can reach.

Best wishes. Neil

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I know it can be hard to mix realism with postive branding--but it is something we need a whole lot more of. Be sure to let us know how it is going :)

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Will do Veinglory.

I take your point above, but we're not trying to sell anything to authors, so concentrating heavily on the negatives might be a great help to them, and really wouldn't be any skin off our noses.

In fact, it would probably be a positive practical move. I've spent more time than I'd like to estimate over the years on the tedious job of line editing on the fly as I read a full ms for the first time, the thought and effort that goes into my notes and reports, only to find if I say, 'OK, let's go ahead', that an author has has had a change of mind because s/he's, in the meantime, read and fully digested my current 'look out for the pitfalls' letters.

Probably happens two or three times a year. And -- with the best will in the world -- I'd rather spend that three or four weeks' working time on someone who's already pretty sure that we're for him/her, no matter what the obvious limitations we've fully splled out.

Saving our own time isn't my main consideration here, Veinglory, but that side effect would certainly be welcome.

It might also reduce submissions at the synopsis and early chapters stage. OK, these usually take only an hour or two (often much less) to suggest whether we should ask to see a full ms. But even a tiny place like ours isn't short of subs, and we do study each one, so time-saving there would be another bonus.

Cheers for now. Neil

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Triceretops. Sorry our messages crossed in the post. It's really not too difficult to keep the old head screwed on straight here once you come to realise the good intent of the group. I've found the input tremendously helpful and expressed with sincerity and civility .. even if it has been a little ucomfortable at times. Very best. Neil

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Just so those who so generously took part in this discussion don't feel that their time was entirely wasted, I've completely re-drafted our current 'About BeWrite Books' section of the BeWrite site and guidelines taking into account all points raised and the suggestions made.

At this point it's only in draft and will be sent for the approval of my (like-minded) partners and posted only when I'm sure I've covered all bases fully and fairly.

I sent the draft to a highly respected, expert and old established member here last week to cast an eye and will carefully consider all her further suggestions.

It would be rude of me to impose such a long piece (1,500 wds) on the forum, but if anyone would like to take a look and make suggestions, I'd be happy to send along the draft as an email attachment and would very much appreciate (as will future prospective BB authors) your insight and suggestions.

This forum is largely in place to point out the pot holes in the road and fill them wherever possible. I assure you that our intentions are no different. I firmly believe that we cannot progress as a tiny house without an author pool that's entirely content. Everything starts with the author.

Many thanks again for such constructive advice.

This is some place.

Best wishes. Neil

ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course)

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
That's good to hear, Triceretops. It'll be a few days before the new piece is posted on site, though. I'm just waiting for some expected feedback so that I can adjust accordingly. Meantime, I've passed the piece by the three other full-timers on our wee team and they're all happy that we should go with it and make as sure as possible that folks know exactly what's what before making any move at all. Cheers for now. Neil

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Woops -- I've just been into our site and realised that I hadn't posted the link here to the promised update for prospective authors we've had running since this Water Cooler discussion.

http://www.bewrite.net/bookshop/submission_requirements.htm

Many thanks to those who offered such sound advice in the above posts and in PMs and emails. I hope I've done it justice and that the new pre-submission note will mean that -- before submission -- authors will have their eyes wide open to what we can and can't offer.

Please don't hesitate to holler if you think we've still not covered things properly.

Thanks again. Neil

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I guess you lost interest, folks. Fair enough. BeWrite Books is, after all, pretty small beer and doesn't matter very much, if at all. Our authors ain't small beer, though, and I got the impression they did matter to the community here from this three-page thread I've sweated through and acted upon. They certainly matter to me, which is why I'm still bustin' a gut to do them proud. Best wishes. Neil

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Neil, sorry I missed your post first time around. I've taken a look at your revamped submission requirements, and I think they're straightforward and fair, and offer good disclosure about your business model. It's great that you provide this info for your authors.

- Victoria

Reactions: GythaOgden

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I have a friend - Jay Mandle - who has published several books (and successfully too!) with BeWrite.

If anyone is interested in talking to him, let me know.

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks, Victoria, Gothic and Priceless.

Your input and that of others (both in the forums and more privately in PMs and emails) has been invaluable. I hope we did it justice.

Those who pointed out that our earlier 'mission statement' might be misleading were quite right, of course, as were those who saw my earlier 'defence' in his thread as old hat. Sorry it took me so long to see the wood for trees.

My partners -- Cait and Alex -- and two other full-time editors -- Hugh and Sam -- are equally enthusiastic about the way we now spell things out, warts 'n' all.

I think you realise that our original words were placed with the best of honest intent ... but, of course, so were the cobblestones on the proverbial road to hell. That you were able to set things to rights only goes to show just how effective this board and its concerned members can be.

We're still soldiering on in our small way -- release schedules filled until the second half of '09 with some outstanding titles (we believe) -- and I hope you'll continue to hear from no-one but satisfied authors and some happy readers.

In the mean time, if any other small indies confined to PoD production and limited to internet sales should come across this exchange, we'd be glad to hear from them and share your insight and its result.

Very best wishes -- and here's to a wonderful Christmas and New Year for you all. Neil

1POV

Neil, just for the record, I couldn't be happier with BeWrite Books and our long-term working relationship. Anyone who questions the quality of BeWrite Books should buy and read a few. Anyone who questions readers' and reviewers' reactions are more than welcome to visit my site at www.martastephens-author.com. Click on the book covers for the links to each book's reviews.

Better yet, go at it on real time. I'm in the middle of a virtual book tour. All the links are available on my website (above) and on my blog http://mstephens-musings.blogspot.com.

All the best,
Marta

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
Since the last post in regards to BeWrite Books was way back in December '08, I thought that I'd jump in here with a bit of recent experience with them. I'll begin with the disclaimer that I have absolutely no affiliation with the publisher other than submitting my manuscript to them within the past couple of weeks. I have no idea whether they will accept my work or not, but I've been highly impressed with the prompt and professional response from Neil Marr.

After reading my query and sample chapters, Mr. Marr responded with a request for the full manuscript in a lengthy and detailed e-mail outlining what BeWrite Books was all about and what they could and would do for their authors and exactly what they couldn't and wouldn't. He details many of the same points on BeWrite Books' submission page (which he mentions here back in 2008), so that every potential author's eyes are wide open to the pros and cons of doing business with them. His e-mails to me have been chock full of wit and wisdom (especially wit), and since BeWrite Books is still alive and kicking in 2010, they must be doing something right.

I know that they've had editorial staff changes and that the company bears Canadian registration now, but they appear to stand on solid ground. I've contacted several BeWrite Authors and have yet to read a negative response. I've read books by two of the authors and just hope that Neil Marr finds my manuscript worthy to stand alongside the quality of the work of these two fine story tellers. I know it seems that I'm gushing, but no, I'm just impressed with my initial contact with BeWrite Books. I'm not writing this to impress Neil Marr either. He's quite firm that the only books they'll print must represents a tale well told. I'll appreciate the man regardless of the future status of my manuscript.

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks, Daddyo. You were a delight to work along with, and I trust we'll stay in touch with each other. As you know, your subject matter is close to my heart, too. I hope our advice was of some use to you. Very best of luck with the book.

By the way, the BeWrite Books website (http://www.bewrite.net) has been completely revamped under the direction of new technical and design director, Tony Szmuk in Canada. (The editorial team remains as was.) The new submissions guidelines, which spell things out in even greater stark detail than before, can be found here: http://www.bewrite.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=AUTH

And you might be interested to hear exactly how paying serious attention to the advice of WC forum members has worked out:

*Since applying your ideas, submissions have not dropped off, as expected, but have increased.

*Submissions seem to be of a higher standard than previously, well laid out and more accurately targeted.

*Since posting new guidelines, on full ms assessment not ONE author has declined an offer to work toward BB publication. (The valuable time previously wasted on the work of 'second-thoughts authors' is now invested in handling the submissions increase and avoiding the development of a slushpile.)

So far, our release output has not increased beyond our previous dozen new titles a year, but that has now become a distinct possibility.

In other words, people, you have proved your point ... clarity is the best policy.

Many thanks again for our invaluable input. Very best wishes. Happy summer. Neil

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Good to see you back on the cooler, Neil. :) Thank you for the update, and also your thanks to the cooler authors that have made submissions clearer for your authors.

It's always good to see a publisher replying to queries here, but even better to see that they benefit from listening too.

Best wishes for you and your company.

neilmarr

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Mille Mercis, Fallen. I strongly suspect that you merit your avatar. Best. Neil