The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Doyen Literary Services (Barbara Doyen)

Kyrah Malan

Doyen Literary Services (Barbara Doyen)

I received a query response asking for a proposal; BJ Doyen is a published writer, but has anyone ever worked with her? Any info is helpful. Thanks!

vstrauss

Re: Doyen Literary Services

Writer Beware has gotten a number of questions about this agent (no complaints), but I haven't been able to find out much about her, or to discover whether she has a real track record. Websearches turn up a number of clients, but most don't appear to have any books published.

- Victoria

Kyrah Malan

Re: Doyen Literary Services

Thanks, I'll let you know if anything *should* be known.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar

Doyen Literary Services

Still no sales listed on Publishers' Marketplace, FWIW.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Has a website now: http://www.barbaradoyen.com/index.html

The only books I see listed are her own.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Still no mention of sales.
    ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Blueridge's Avatar
    I'm thinking about querying her. Does anyone have any recent experience? Client list seems slim.

Thanks.

According to Publisher's Marketplace, only one sale listed, and it is from 2002:

Cliff Isaacson's BIRTH ORDER EFFECT FOR LOVERS, applying the Birth Order theory to relationships, showing how an understanding of birth order personalities can improve relationships, to Paula Munier at Fair Winds Press, by Doyen Literary Services (world).

Hope that helps.
    The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting - Available May 1, 2012. Amazon | B&N |Goodreads

www.jessica-sims.com
    www.jillmyles.com
    http://jessica-clare.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Blueridge's Avatar
    Thanks, Irysangel. Hmmm. Perhaps I'll save the postage on this one.

Keep on keepin' on ameliawrites's Avatar

Smile My experience with Barb Doyen

I wanted to give my experience with Barb. I found out about here back in November of 08. I sent her an email introduction and let her know what I was working on.
    She emailed me back and said that she was interested in working with someone in my genre'(back to earth, organic, etc.)and set up a phone interview.
    The interview lasted about an hour, we liked each other and she offered me a contract.
    I have just finished my first book that she got for me-a Dummies Guide to Canning and Preserving. It comes out Sept. 8th of this year.
    She has been very fast in responding to my emails, keeping abreast of how I was working with Wiley Publishing, and as soon as I was finished, started brainstorming with new ideas to keep me working.

I highly recommend Barb. She was my first experience with having an agent and it has been a very clear, clean relationship, with no secrets or tricks.

HTH,

Amy

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Thumbs up Legit.

Thanks for your post, Amy. She's also legit according to Jeff Herman's Guide.

Updating link: http://www.barbaradoyen.com/

Still no client or sales listed, and only two confirmed sales in six years; both to publishers which don't require agents.
    ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I can't say whether Barb Doyen does or does not get books to print. She says she does, but I can't vouch for that.

Do be aware that she works with a guy (perhaps she helped him get a book to print of is working on that) who is a counselor on birth order. Yes. You are first born and you have these traits and second born and so on.

If the project is not going so well, she says that this guy is the magic bullet. So, you call him and pay him to talk on the phone though I think he has been sick and may not be able to do that now or maybe he passed. Who knows? In any case, you can go in the hole with a bad book deal and then paying by credit card to get on track with this phone counselor that she swears will cure all.

Income on deal = zero. Credit card payments to the Wizard of Oz to make magic so that book gets done = $200. Hum. That math did not work out so well.

Keep on keepin' on ameliawrites's Avatar
    Wait, What? That is a very unique experience that you had with Barb. I cant imagine anyone talking me into parting with 200$ and most certainly not the Barb I have been working with.

I am not doubting your experience, Bam Bam, but I am now on my third book with Barb, all of which she brought to me, and she always seems very down to earth and businesslike with me.

Barb has always been very forthcoming with offers for me. She tells me how much money and it is up to me to decide if it is worth my time. She has fielded emails for me, where the publisher wants me to work for peanuts, and it is so much nicer to just forward that garbage on to her. I am in my second year with Barb Doyen, and feel that she is honest and brings me work that I would not be getting on my own.

I even approached her with my book TOC on a topic that she doesnt work with, and she found two other publishers who would be interested in it. I feel that she goes out of her way to help me any time I ask her.

She answers my emails promptly(within 24 hours, usually only a couple of hours)and gives me thorough answers.

I urge anyone who is approached by or has interest in Barb Doyen (Doyen Literary Services, INC) to get multiple reviews from people who have been published by her.

Anyone can ask me anything about my experiences at any time.

Warmly,

Amy J
    Last edited by ameliawrites; 12-28-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: me, me, me, me...sorry about that, I am feeding two babies and checking the boards at the same time.

Just an update in case anyone's wondering about turn-around time for queries. I've been ghostwriting a memoir for an author who queried Barbara on 12/30/10 and received a one-line form rejection that same day in the evening. The email said: "Sorry, your project is not right for us at this time--best wishes!"