Chertoff on Security: Come on Americans, cooperate. . . .

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chertoff: Security requires sacrifice

clear.gif
Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said Wednesday one of his "biggest obligations" in his remaining 16 months in office is to eliminate the "not-in-my-backyard attitude" when it comes to relatively small costs and inconveniences.

By Mimi Hall, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff says public opposition to a host of new border security programs stalls government efforts to tighten security. . . .

Chertoff says he is frustrated by the growing number of "people who say, 'Yes, protect us, but not if it inconveniences me. . . . "

Among the programs that have faced opposition:

•Real ID, a federal law that requires states to adopt stricter policies for giving out driver's licenses.
States produce hundreds of different types of licenses, making it difficult for border agents to determine whether one is a fake. The 9/11 Commission investigating the terror attacks in 2001 recommended more secure licenses after revealing that the Sept. 11 hijackers got 34 licenses and government ID cards.
In 2005, Congress passed a law requiring people to present documentation in person to show they are in the country legally before they can get a license.
At least a half-dozen states have balked at complying with the law, citing the cost of putting new standards in place.
Organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union oppose Real ID over concerns that it could be used and abused by the government to track people.
•New rules requiring the Social Security Administration to send letters to employers with Homeland Security warnings that they will face criminal penalties if they knowingly hire illegal immigrants.
Tuesday, a federal judge in San Francisco temporarily halted the program. The judge stopped the government from sending letters that warn employers about problems with workers' documents, in response to a lawsuit from the AFL-CIO. The union claimed the letters would violate workers' rights.
"Even if we prevail, as I believe we will, that will slow us up 30 days, 60 days," Chertoff said. "And each of those delays is costly."
•A plan to build roughly 300 miles of fence — with concrete and steel walls — along the Texas-Mexico border. Ranch owners and environmentalists have opposed the plan.
•A requirement that U.S. citizens show passports to come back into the country from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
The rule is in effect for air travel and set to take effect Sept. 30 for land and sea crossings.
Opponents succeeded last winter in getting the rule relaxed for children 15 or younger who have parental permission and a birth certificate. . . . http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-09-05-homeland_N.htm

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I wish they would get the stuff for flight instructors right. I just got a notice that I'm to take some "training" on it (again). It's ludicrous.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For openers: streamlining state issued I.D.'s would be my first objection. I don't want federal I.D.'s; it's bad enough that social security numbers are used that way.

The fence between the U.S. and Mexico is pretty obnoxious, but tolerable if the environmental concerns are addressed and Canada gets something comparable.

I think to send letters to employers warning them against hiring illegals is not only a waste of money and time, but has that Big Brother feel to it. It should not be assumed that American employers are criminals, which a letter could tacitly imply. Personally, I'd resent it.