Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unisex Bathrooms

Loves Joni Mitchell RumpleTumbler's Avatar

Unisex Bathrooms

So there I was at a book festival this weekend with *other writers* and was inside a government building. Their was a ladies bathroom and a unisex bathroom. I chose to abstain. I really don't like the whole unisex bathroom idea. I mean, c'mon. What say you?
    “So lay down the sword
    And put away the doctrine
    Love a little more, love a little more
    ‘Cause everybody’s broken”

Nichole Nordeman

I still have never encountered one of those. In theory, I don't really mind. I don't see where there is anything to mind. But if there was a ladies' room next to a 'unisex' bathroom, I know I'd go into the ladies'. Unless there was a long line. Then I wouldn't care.

No men's bathroom? Confused. I know they sometimes have one stall for a "Family bathroom," which would be if someone needs someone of the opposite sex to help them in. Never seen a true unisex one before though.

Although I have to say I wouldn't really be bothered by a unisex bathroom as long as everything was closed stalls. Except that guys pee everywhere. So maybe not.
    Goodreads - Twitter - Website - Facebook

Courting Greta has been released into the wide world!
    I have also entered the world of self-pubbing with a short story, Christmas in the Californios, 1833.

And thus we begin the edits melaniehoo's Avatar
    This is becoming more common in big cities, especially in restaurants. I think it's because more women than men use the restrooms, but since they can't take away the mens' room, they allow the women to use both. A lot of women do this anyway, so I guess it just takes away the naughtiness.
    New website & blog! Melaniehoo. My dog has a blog, too. Super Owen
    Tweet. I've lost my mind --> Hooku: Hoo Can Haiku

I've never seen one, but I'm not against them. I can't say I'd walk into one if there was a Ladies room right next to it, though. Unless there was a wait in the Ladies. I've used the Men's before, when there was no line in there.

I was at a festival this weekend. Two women saw the line to the ladies' room and said, "I'm not waiting -- I could just burst right now." So they went into the men's room and waited for the only stall -- some guy was using it for #2. So these women just waited while the men went and used the urinal. It was very uncomfortable. They didn't even avert their eyes. They just stared at the guys whipping their thingies out and doing their business. I think it was kind of rude. So why is it okay for girls to invade into the men's room but not the other way around?
    Last edited by maestrowork; 09-05-2007 at 10:28 PM.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
    -- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between • A Bunch of Stories
    (2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews

One of my favorite restaurants has a couple unisex bathrooms, one of which has both a toilet and urinal. My husband and I have gone in together when there was a long line - very convenient!

Possibly because women think it's ridiculous that there should be exactly four women's stalls and four men's stalls when men take 1/4 the time to go to the bathroom. Personally I would not go in while men where in the men's bathroom, but it really ticks me off to go somewhere and there's a giant line out the women's bathroom and no line at all for the men's. It's absurd.
    Goodreads - Twitter - Website - Facebook

Courting Greta has been released into the wide world!
    I have also entered the world of self-pubbing with a short story, Christmas in the Californios, 1833.

Quote Originally Posted by maestrowork View Post
    -- It was very comfortable. They didn't even avert their eyes. They just stared at the guys whipping their thingies out and doing their business. I think it was kind of rude. So why is it okay for girls to invade into the men's room but not the other way around?
    Yikes ! No, what I should have said was "I've used the men's room when it was empty". I think it's rude for women to go in there if there are men using it. I've had times when the women's was waiting room only, and the men's room was completely unused.

I was at a festival this weekend. Two women saw the line to the ladies' room and said, "I'm not waiting -- I could just burst right now." So they went into the men's room and waited for the only stall -- some guy was using it for #2. So these women just waited while the men went and used the urinal. It was very comfortable. They didn't even avert their eyes. They just stared at the guys whipping their thingies out and doing their business. I think it was kind of rude. So why is it okay for girls to invade into the men's room but not the other way around?
    I've wondered that too. I would never do that - I think it's beyond rude. Imagine those same women if a man waltzed in like he owned the place... I've seen women ask a man to guard the door so no men come in while they're in there. Still rude, but at least it's not as offensive.

I was at a festival this weekend. Two women saw the line to the ladies' room and said, "I'm not waiting -- I could just burst right now." So they went into the men's room and waited for the only stall -- some guy was using it for #2. So these women just waited while the men went and used the urinal. It was very comfortable. They didn't even avert their eyes. They just stared at the guys whipping their thingies out and doing their business. I think it was kind of rude. So why is it okay for girls to invade into the men's room but not the other way around?
    That's when you have to take control of the situation and say "Gentlemen, start your helicopters", then everone spins in a circle while peeing. That usually helps the gals get the point that they're not welcome in the Men's room.
    My narcissistic website with books, music, and junk:

Oh, I use the guys bog when the queue at the ladies is too long and I've had one ..um, yeah, ONE too many Bloody Marys.

One of the clubs I used to go to had unisex bogs. But with the goffs, who can tell anyway?

i decided im going to install a urinal in my bathroom someday.

that's my contribution to this thread and im sticking w it.
    RIP

Too Adorkable for Words pconsidine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoNightshade View Post
    It really ticks me off to go somewhere and there's a giant line out the women's bathroom and no line at all for the men's. It's absurd.
    You been to an Indigo Girls concert lately?
    "Just remember this: You don't get hurt passing out, you get hurt falling down." – My Dad

Feel free to buy my book:
    An Expatriate Goes to the Museum – A Photo Essay

Quote Originally Posted by pconsidine View Post
    You been to an Indigo Girls concert lately?
    I love the Indigo Girls and I have a penis.
    “So lay down the sword

Nichole Nordeman

On the flip side, I was in a gay bar and had to fight to get the women's room to myself. The guys were so used to using it as a second men's room they didn't want to clear out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    i decided im going to install a urinal in my bathroom someday.
    You already have one. It's called a sink.
    My narcissistic website with books, music, and junk:

Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    You already have one. It's called a sink.
    Or the shower stall.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
    -- Agatha Christie

(2006 IPPY Award)

Or the shower stall.
    Ugh, please don't promote that. I know you guys think it's great, but unless you're the one CLEANING the shower, please don't. I'm still trying to break my hubbie of this. gross.

The bathrooms in my house are unisex. I couldn't care less about who whizzes in which potty, as long as the whizzer is neat.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by C.bronco View Post
    The bathrooms in my house are unisex. I couldn't care less about who whizzes in which potty, as long as the whizzer is neat.
    Hardly comparable.

Just trying out my the new smiley aunty gave me.
    “So lay down the sword

Nichole Nordeman

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere Kate Thornton's Avatar
    When I was in Italy, all the toilets in the coffee bars were unisex. This was usually because there was only one, right off the kitchen, the size of a phone booth with just a tiny sink & toilet & sliding door which you had to sit down to close. The ladies room at the Vatican was vast - just like the McDonald's - and free. The ladies at the Colliseum was staffed and it cost $$ to go.

I don't mind unisex bathrooms, especially if the urinals are behind a partition. III, there are good hygeinic reasons for not peeing in the sink, not to mention the ick factor.

I have often thought that in households where there are boys, a urinal in the main bathroom would be a wonderful convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by melaniehoo View Post
    Ugh, please don't promote that. I know you guys think it's great, but unless you're the one CLEANING the shower, please don't. I'm still trying to break my hubbie of this. gross.
    I don't get it... what's there to clean? You pee into the drainhole, while the shower is on... down the drain it goes while washing it at the same time. Now, doing something else in the shower stall would be really messy...

-- Agatha Christie

(2006 IPPY Award)

Since you're bathing you can even pee on yourself if you want which is more inconvenient outside of the shower.
    “So lay down the sword

Nichole Nordeman

There's one restaurant/bar in Soho, Manhattan that has only unisex bathrooms, but all stalls, no urinals. The stalls are enclosed but clear. But the neat thing is once you go in and lock the door and turn on the light, the glass fogs up and becomes opaque. It's completely private. It's so cool that people go to the bathroom just to see the stall works.

-- Agatha Christie

(2006 IPPY Award)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast