NaNoWriMo 2007 - what are you doing?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Have you decided yet if you're going to join in the insanity? Do you know what you're going to write yet? Have you already started planning? Or do you leave everything to the last minute, toss the die, and hope for the best?

Me, I'm a planner, and I'm planning - at this stage, although there's still plenty of time left to change my mind several times ;) - on writing a fantasy story (my first fantasy - I'm usually into science fiction) that popped into my head a few months ago but haven't done much with. I've started planning, and I've got a few broad brushstrokes, but not the detail that my brain seems to require. By the time NaNo rolls around, I'll hopefully have a full plot outline.

And yes, I know I'm a tad early. So what? :D

ETA: Obligatory NaNoWriMo link.

Last edited:

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
What are the ground rules? Does this need to be a spankin' new project or can you be 1/10th of the way in already? ;) I need a push!

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
The rules say it has to be brand new. But the rules also say that it's on the honesty system and no one is going to check. So... Uh...

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
The novel I've been editing the hell out of was my NaNo 2006...

I have two projects I've been outlining and planning and I think I'll be writing the sequel to last year's novel.

True North

Chief Servant of Queen Lilo!
Registered
Reaction score
I did not do it last year, but this year I might try again. I've failed every year. Maybe I can come up with a no-doubt one and actually write more than 10,000 words.

I have to refresh my rules, but can you do fan fiction? haha maybe if my characters are already created I can do it.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Yeah, True North, fan fiction is always allowable. Some people on the forum get all bent out of shape over it, but TPTB say it's fine.

So, no one's gotten mad at me - yet - for posting about NaNoWriMo this early. Huh. I was half expecting a wallupin'. :p

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I've tried and failed for more years than I care to admit to. I'm doing it this year, and I'm going to finish if it kills me.

I'm working on outlines for two novels. One is an urban fantasy/vampire hunter story and the other is post-cyberpunk.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I did NaNo 6 years in a row. It pains me to say this, but this might be the first year that I don't officially do the challenge. I'm so buried in my current WIP that I don't want to put it aside and do 50,000 words on a new project. There's no way I'll be at a stopping point on my WIP by November.

I would miss my Atlanta NaNo group if I didn't join up, though, so I'll probably re-activate my username, post on the forums, and go to some of the write-ins and meetings, but I'll be working on my 3rd draft instead of a first draft. I'm the veteran among the Atlanta NaNo people, so they can't argue with me. ;)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in, but I'm not sure what I'll be working on yet. Hopefully I'll finish the rough draft I'm working on by mid-October so I'll be free to play in November.

Good luck to everyone!

:Sun:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do it last year. I'm currently in second draft of my MS, and will want to be writing something new by NOvember, so I think I'll be game.
I have no idea what i'll write about. Usually I don't know what I'm writing until the second chapter, don't have any idea where it's going until about the 10th chapter and don't know how it ends until, well, as suspected - the end.

should be fun.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I'm totally doing this for the first time this year. My husband actually told me not to get a job until December so I could do it. Ha! Score one for being a laptop potato!

As for what I'm going to write... oooh, I'm just so excited right now to be writing and querying (for the first time), that I'm kinda jumpy about the whole writing a book in a month thing.

I have a few options: 1) a psycho-thriller I have outlined that my husband went nuts over and 2) The 1st person backstory novel about the antagonist from my fantasy series.

I thought since hubby was footing all the real life bills, I'd let him choose. He wanted the antagonist story! I was pretty shocked. Not sure if I'm gonna listen to him or not. We'll see. ;)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in.

:scared:

I want to try to plan ahead of time, see if that works out better for me, but we'll see how that goes.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I'm in this year, too! I think I even have a kernel of an idea for my story... will let it simmer for the next 2 months and see what I've got!

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing it! I'm all excited and whatnot, considering it's my first pseudo-serious novel.

My premise:

Sven is an atheist who didn't believe in eternal souls until about 30 seconds after he died. Now he's stuck In Between, or in Limbo, and extremely confused. While in Limbo, he meets Andrea, who fills him in on all the juicy details about eternal damnation/salvation, and the Threshers. Huge, corrupted souls that feed on the PC (Purity Content) of other souls in Limbo so they can remain In Between instead of being sent into Hell.

Toss in some crazy ideas about the afterlife, a conversation about gay priests, and the original sin, and that's Nanowrimo 2007, Esopha style.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
All right, the scary thing is I had nothing this morning, but this afternoon the kernel of a story idea popped into my head. It's set in the same fantasy universe I've been writing in and will feature my same core characters, but it's a little darker and on a larger scale than the stories I've done before. Tentative title is "Foresight".

Now to let it percolate and see what happens....

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yup - happening here too.

I already had my idea (a twist on the sleeping hero story, a la Arthur/Merlin or...somebody else I forget), but three guesses why I'm up now when I have a meeting first thing in the morning...thought of a new way to structure the story and a different twist on the 'moral of the story'. Let the percolating begin.

(and hopefully it'll produce wakefulness at the appropriate time tomorrow, else I'm in trouble!)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't do it last year. I'm currently in second draft of my MS, and will want to be writing something new by NOvember, so I think I'll be game.
I have no idea what i'll write about. Usually I don't know what I'm writing until the second chapter, don't have any idea where it's going until about the 10th chapter and don't know how it ends until, well, as suspected - the end.

should be fun.
Go for it. Lots of people do it this way, so you'll be in good company.

Me? I'm doing the sequel to 2005's, which was the sequel to 2004's (2006's was completely unrelated to these), thereby completing a trilogy. Not sure how much preplanning I'm doing but considering it's helped immensely in the past, I'll probably have a go.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm doing it this year. I heard about it too late last year, but this year I'm catching it. I'll either finish my current WIPs by then (totally not likely) or put them on hold. It would be a good exercise for me, and I could still write on my other WIPs off the clock (I won't be able to leave my MASA <3). Now, all that's left is to decide what I want to write and plan. I'm normally a go-with-the-flow type, but the flow isn't very punctual. ;) So, I need something of a plot.

As for what...I have three options.

1. A story about a beauty academy of sorts called "Dollhouse". It takes people in, "trains" them, beautifies them, then advertises and sells them as living dolls. It's a cute enough business, but behind the scenes it's rather shady. Their methods break the souls of the students, or "dolls". Two roommates at this academy--Michael and Keanu--are very close. When they're bought, they're separated, and have to find each other, themselves, and the hearts of their buyers.

2. A story about an outcasted hermaphrodite named Bavol who's very confused. He (well, "he" for the first part of the story) struggles with his reluctant love/hate relationship/friendship with two of his neighbors--one a man, Rhoswen, and the other a woman, Evelyn, who both desire him on some level--and his true love for the man in love with his sister. But the only friend he truly feels he can confide in can die any day. Rhoswen's desire and...psychological issues drive him a bit too far, and Bavol finds himself--no, herself--pregnant. She insists that despite gender issues, despite what the doctors say, her body's just fine and she can be normal. It's hard, but she has a daughter. And loses her only friend. She has to realize she's not alone, get her priorities straight, and pull her life together

And 3. A little unnamed diddy that goes something like...this hard-working businesswoman is having visions of her death, or so she believes. She confides in her friend about it, and he suggests that she visits a psychiatrist. She goes, and he's a very down-to-earth, religious man. Nice enough, but doesn't believe her. He suggests she take a vacation. Well, she's not about to turn that down. She goes to a nice spa place. While sight seeing in an old church, she gets chills and looks down, finding that where she stands is where she foresees her death. Her visions get random and she tries to piece together the mystery and prevent her death with the help of her two most trusted right-hand-men, her friend and psychiatrist. But they end up bringing about exactly what they meant to prevent...

It'll be a hard decision, but I'm going back and forth between the first two. They're more planned and the 3rd. It'll be fun to hang out with everyone here during it, though, especially as it's my first time. :tongue See you then~!

Last edited:

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
I was thinking about it. Don't know if I'll have the discipline to finish, but eh, who needs discipline anyway?

I might do a spinoff of my current WIP. Kate and Fark, post picking-a-mate drama, learning the joys of having a litter of triplet werewolf pups... and telling her parents, who don't even know she's a wolf yet. <evil grin>

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You have nothing to lose by trying it & failing.

Except possibly your social life. ;)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I had thought about not doing NaNo this year, but I'm going to. The one I have in mind is a mainstream. Possibly a romance, possibly not. I don't know yet. It's tentatively titled "Navajo Rose" and I've been making notes on it since I went to Calfornia earlier this summer. :)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
It's so nice to see so many other people already planning on doing it. :D Yay!

For any of you who are on the fence...

Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!! Do it!!!!

ETA: I'm such an enabler.