• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Rolling Seas Promotions (Pamela Faye)

Kristina Cook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristinacook.com
The agency is based in Australia--their web site says they are 'author publicity and promotion' but I have a friend who just signed with them--says Pamela is agenting, too. I have to say...I'm worried, and can't find anything about them on P&E, Writer Beware, or anywhere, for that matter.

Anyone ever heard *anything* about them??

Kristina Cook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristinacook.com
Just to clarify my concerns--I don't think this agent is a scammer; not at all. I'm just concerned about agenting experience (in the NY publishing industry), connections, and legitimate sales.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the link.

I don't see anywhere on their site where they list agenting as a service. Everything on the site is geared towards being publicists.

Kristina Cook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristinacook.com
Yep, and yet she's definitely submitting a manuscript to publishers on my friend's behalf, though I question her practices in doing so. Just seems very fishy to me. I don't even know how she found this "agent" in the first place.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Red flags:

- Amateurish, badly written text on website--purple prose (see especially the About Us page), excess commas, inappropriate capitalization.

- Lots of words in Pamela Faye's bio. Almost no concrete information--including any info on what she has written and where she has worked. A Google search turns up a book by her, Chetan, published by Mundania Press. But there's nothing whatever to indicate that the agency's staff are qualified to provide publicity or representation services for either screenplays or books.

- It's pretty clear from their Screenplay page that they represent screenplays. A few are optioned by something called Profeta Pictures--a company to which I can find no online references other than the agency's own materials and press releases. The rest are unsold.

- They also offer a novel-to-script adaptation service. One of their clients, Daniel Guardino, will adapt your book into a screenplay for you. According to this agreement on the website, the cost is $1,000. The Screenplay page indicates that Mr. Guardino has performed this service for three of the agency's represented screenplays (perhaps not coincidentally, these are the three supposedly optioned by Profeta Pictures). Selling paid services to your clients is a conflict of interest.

All in all, I'd say there is deep reason for caution.

- Victoria

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
They also charge a high fee to host a web page. $50 a year is almost as much as GoDaddy charges for hosting -- and with GoDaddy you can host an entire website (or several) for that fee, not just one page. Not to mention their website is horribly designed and looks like it is straight out of 1994 when people still thought it was nifty to put marqee text on their page.

(But, to give them some slack, there are a lot of horrible agent and publisher pages. Heck, Blu'Phier just redesigned their site and it is still horribly designed. I'm about as artistic as a foot and I can do better than that.)

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Some quick notes:

* Some of Pamela Faye's publicity for her clients is here:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/9/prweb161880.htm

* The client (smith@profetapictures.com) is the same one that she is optioning the screenplays to.

* The production company (Profeta Pictures) seems to be basically Smith Glover & Chris Shea.

* Smith Glover's production credits seems to be the short film that he produced and wrote: Krush

* According to his Bio at WritersCafe :

I work mostly as a documentary editor, which is a lot more like writing than I ever thought. In fact, it has taught me a great deal about constructing and telling a story. Mostly I have written personal stories, fiction and non fiction, about a trip I took around the world.

* The Author's Den page for Pamela Faye (who is the publicist you'll be hiring) is here:
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/author.asp?AuthorID=11202

She is an author with a POD book. (I'm not saying that's bad at all - just that it's a datapoint)
Interestingly, she mentions that she flew half way around the world from Australia to release her POD book at the New York BookExpo, in May of 2002

* The story of how 'Glasshouse' is progressing as a movie is here: http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/theovertons/glasshousestory.html
It has the curious line "We signed a contract with SlamDunk Film Festivals to package the script into a full project"
The author seems to have been told that " 'names' such as Peter Jackson and George Lucas [are] showing interest ".
I'm curious if the publicist is the one who has told them that. (I assume that the project is being run by Max Overton - Adriana Overton died in 2003)

* The author seems to have also been told that the screenplay writer has had films produced.
However, the same publist forgets to mention the screenplay writer's produced credits - the highlight of his career is optioning the trilogy to Profeta Pictures. (Along with one other option)

Either the publicist keeps forgetting to mention the screenwriter's produced movies (and neglected to put them on IMDB) ... or the author of the 'Glasshouse' books is misled about the screenwriter's credits.

Good luck,

Mac

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I love how the "reviews" are free with purchase of a web page. Ugh.