Not open for further replies.

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
horror

You might want to try "Noctem Aeternus." It's a new ezine and the first issue debuts in 1-2008. The first issue will also have a short story by Ramsey Campbell. They pay .10 a word. It's a free epublication (.pdf) and runs off advertising revenue. They do emphasize they want quality horror, but you can read about that on their site. Good luck!

The address is:
www.michaelknost.com.

Hope this helps!

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
duotrope is an excellent site for market searches, and also includes a decent little submission tracker.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Hey, they beat me to the punch. Both of those sites offer a slough of publications that pay, and many others that will get your work out there. If you're trying to make a decent buck from the short story market, be prepared to wait for the big check. I think there's more short-story writers submitting pieces then novelists, so each publication gets swamped with work, making them very picky about what they want to print. Often times it's not a matter of how well you write but if the story strips their trigger.

Good luck.

Pike

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad this is bumped. I've subscribed too and been anxiously waiting.

Ben III

Registered
Reaction score
I also subscribed. Then I spent 3 hours getting my horror story story into the form they desired. Next I submitted it...15 seconds later I got an email saying they are no longer accepting manuscripts, for a while, at least.

My question...couldn't they SAY THAT on the page with the submissions link? I'll guarantee you, it wouldn't take them THREE hours. RATZZZZZ!!!!!

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
horror

I'm sorry you went through that, Ben. I know I tried to get on the staff a month after the initial letter and they were already filled up there.

I'd say they have been so overwhelmed with submissions they are backlogged beyond their capabilites.

There's a great many writers trying to get genre-specific credits.

Ben III

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Laura. Now that I do (hopefully) have it in the proper form, any ideas what I might do with it? At least someplace to put it for feedback? It's about 1800 words.

Laurawrites

Super Morbid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.laurawrites.net
writing

Hey, Ben!

Well, that depends on what you want to do. If it's something you're particularly proud of, you might want to save it and just resubmit at another time at the same place.

Or, if you don't feel like waiting, you could visit Ralen, like Pike said. I'd say you could also research horror ezines through the search engine.

Good luck!

Ben III

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Pike. I'm a total novice at this.

Hi, Laura. I guess I mentioned the feedback thing because I have no clue about what I wrote, as in would anybody make it past the first paragraph. I have absolutely no training (oops, William Hung just popped into my head...and I'm afraid my "work" might be as horrific as his singing, but hmmmmm...that may not be a bad thing for a HORROR short story, huh? :) )

Seriously, I'm sure I broke every rule in the book. Heck, I don't even read horror stories, so the odds on what I've written being worth a flip are even longer than the ones people that DO have a clue face (and I understand them bees some loooooooong odds! ;)

Thanks, ya'll.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Ben. :welcome:

The best place for a critique of your story is in the Share Your Work (SYW) forum. Post it in the "horror" section. The super-secret password is VISTA.:D

If you do decide to post it there, remember to be patient for responses. Holiday weekend and all that

Ben III

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Haggis.Thanks man...or madam...or glowing, red-eyed, junkie dog. :tongue

I'll give that forum a try, and believe me, I won't be disappointed at extremely tardy responses...like mid Spring! With this thing, I'll take the "no news is good news" approach. :D

Ben

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Haggis encouraged me to post there some time ago and it was a valuable experience. Learned a lot through some solid critiques, but be ready for honest opinions. They might feel harsh but you'll appreciate them afterwards. Trust me. I did.

Pike

Status
Not open for further replies.