• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Parenting Press

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Parenting Press. I can't find it in Editors and Preditors or in the Jeff Herman book I have. I recognize two of their books because I have them both, but they aren't huge sellers.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dave.
I did purchase them in the bookstore, so I am glad that is a good sign. I just worried that they may be a self publishing place since I can't find them listed on sites that list publishers.

Their website says "Parenting Press pays a royalty on net receipts from most sources of sales. Modest royalty advances are also possible. When appropriate, Parenting Press actively seeks special sales and foreign translation rights sales for the books, and authors receive income from these sales, too." It doesn't sound like they are a vanity publisher.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
An important question to ask them is how they distribute their books. I can't figure out how they sell into bookstores, since they don't mention it on their site. You can buy books from them directly, but it's very important for a publisher to have some kind of national distribution in place.

klow

Registered
Reaction score
Nomad,
Thanks so much! I will look into the distribution issue.

Linda Carlson

Parenting Press is a real publisher

Yes, Parenting Press is a REAL publisher. Since 1979 it has published about 100 children's and child guidance books, most of which are still in print. Some have hundreds of thousands of copies printed. It also publishes a monthly online newsletter for families and teachers (ParentingPress.com/ezine), which is staff-written, and a quarterly for professionals (ParentingPress.com/peptalk.html), which accepts contributions but compensates writers only with publicity. We publish a limited number of books each year, and all are heavily edited after field-testing with appropriate audiences. Most books are in production at least two years. Authors are expected to be very involved in promoting books, including making speeches, visiting bookstores and doing media interviews. If you are considering submitting to the Press, read the author submission guidelines on the web site VERY carefully; most of the submissions we receive do not fall within our mission statement. As for distribution, yes, most of our books are distributed through the usual national wholesalers, Ingram, Baker & Taylor and Partners. So they are readily available in bookstores and through online retailers as well as from the Press itself.