The Beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsriem

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of writing, but I'm having trouble starting the beginning. It's like I can never find the right words to start it off. And if I do, and i reread it, it's not good enough and I end up back at phase 1. I was wondering is it common and how did you start your beginning?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard sometimes, but just write something. Then don't reread it & keep going. Even if you spent weeks on it, by the time you end the book, you might realize it's not the right beginning anyway, so just keep going.

(Sage should listen to her advice sometimes)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It is always hard in my opinion.

I started really slowly with a man watching the picture of his country's greatest hero while he waits to be attended by a chancellor, we only see him as a geeky, nervous man before discovering he is actually the president of that country

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I'm in the process of writing, but I'm having trouble starting the beginning. It's like I can never find the right words to start it off. And if I do, and i reread it, it's not good enough and I end up back at phase 1. I was wondering is it common and how did you start your beginning?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I always hate the beginnings when I first write them. Chances are you'll change it so much in the end that it won't matter at all. I just wrote my perfect beginning last night, on a book I've been working on for years. It's days away from being polished enough for betas... 'bout time I was happy with the opener. ;)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I hate beginnings. Of the five novels I'm actively working on, only two have decent beginnings and two have no beginnings at all (yet). I was 80,000 words into my main WIP before I finally wrote the first chapter (I outline, so I knew what needed to happen, I just didn't want to write it, LOL). Since beginnings are so hard and so tempting to just toss out all together when they don't turn out perfectly, I never write the beginning until I'm past the 'point of no return' (50,000 words or so), where I've put so much time and effort into the story that I have no choice but to finish it. That way I have to keep at the beginning no matter how frustrated I get. So I guess my advice would be to start with chapter two, and forget the beginning for now.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
It's finishing the beginning I always have trouble with.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have rewritten the opening to my first novel several times. I will probably rewrite the newest one & possibly the one I'm actually working on, but there are at least two novels I've finished where I started instantly with the first line, loved it, & will probably never change it.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
The problem is,
when you write the beginning you are doing something very, very hard.
You're introducing the characters and the central conflict and the situation and you also have to be intense and gripping and intriguing.
This is technically difficult.

You're doing this very hard bit of work at a time when you barely know your characters and the conflict is a little mushy and everything's going to change before you get 2/3 through the story anyway.

Recognize how hard this is -- what you're doing in this first chapter.
Be gentle with yourself.
Sketch the scene and move on to a future scene you can really visualize.
Trust yourself to come back later and do a better job.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Actually I think it's a relief, later, to already have the opinion that your beginning is crap. If you work for two weeks on the beginning of your story, and then you write the whole book and someone says "You need to change your beginning," you're going to be too attached to it to want to alter ANYTHING. But if you start out with the notion that it'll eventually have to be rewritten (which it likely will no matter what), you won't be too dismayed when it comes time.

Sunny7L

Registered
Reaction score
Website
s7L.com
You're just getting started so just start writing. You can "perfect" the beginning, the middle and the end, later. :) Taking that first step gets you one step closer to the end.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score

Even in articles and essays, the first paragraphs the writer types are seldom the true beginning. Just write. When you're done, you'll recognize a section near the start that's your real first line. The rest can come later, or be deleted.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I write it and don't look back until I'm done with the first draft.
The current MS I'm working on started with the first line (in Draft #1) as "The message light blinked."
In draft two re-write (from hard copy all typed back into a blank document and revised as I go) started "Mediocre becomes a mantra when you've lived it long enough."

Huge difference.
But I never would have come up with that line for second draft if I hadn't written through to the end of the story in first draft.

don't fix it until you know what you're fixing.

Write anything that will set you on the path and then write it again better later.

Status
Not open for further replies.