Where are you? (in your novel)

Thekherham

The Alien Writer
Registered
Reaction score
5657 Brežendra Rd., Treskebhar, Te’hănys, Alharhan
Working on the first draft of Act Naturally about an Ed Wood-like director (does anyone remember a really bad movie called Plan 9 from Outer Space?) who is in Northern Ontario to film his (ha ha) epic which involves aliens, dragons, second rate actors.

Right now, director, actors, and aliens are wandering through the forest heading to only the director knows where. (He keeps changing the script every so often.)

LilyJade

Registered
Reaction score
Stuck on dialog. You see, Elena is currently acting in her role of representing the group she belongs to. So she is having to be more formal then she normally would be. Which means changing the voice and trying to find a balance where I still keep some of her in there...

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Finished the rough draft of chapter 8 yesterday... BUT had a dream about it last night and decided I needed to add one more scene at the end.

Who else dreams about their WIP?

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
I dream up stories -- literally. I have for many years; it's the main reason I finally started writing a couple of years ago. I wake up, and, if lucky, can capture the story in outline form before I lose it. Not all of them make sense, though. My current novel was based on a dream.

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
I am jumping back into it TODAY. Even though I haven't heard back from my editor yet, goshdarnit, it's been a month. I'm going to Story Grid it and see what it looks like.

Oh hey, indianroads, I didn't dream about mine that I know of, but I did wake up hard in the middle of the night one time going "That's it! That's IT! She hands him the knife and he refuses it!"... and then I couldn't get back to sleep.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to dig into the first draft of Chapter 11. My outline has 22 chapters. That means when I get through Chapter 11 - expect it to be 5000 words or so - I'll be halfway through my first draft. That said, I have some open questions about how things are going to play out in the next few chapters, so it might be pretty slow going as I try things, scrap them, and try them again.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Starting first draft of chapter 9... which will describe a Karate black belt test the way it was back in the early 1970's. Describing Sanchin Kata such that novices would realize how incredibly difficult it is to accomplish without passing out, is going to be a bitch.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Worried my MC turned into a jerk in the last two scenes. Can I save his reputation without overdoing the baby kissing and kitten rescuing? :p

MadAlice

We're all mad down here
Registered
Reaction score
Adding scenes for a character who I decided has to die in the last third. Poor lady--she's a nice person.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote 2600 words of chapter 11 this weekend - not a bad total for me, actually. I don't think it's very good yet, but I'm sticking to my pledge to keep moving forward for now. Where am I? Well, Brewster has been getting a little handsy with Eddie, but she was a clumsy in the way she went about keeping him at bay, and has hurt his feelings. She feels awful about that, and is pretty sure it will have repercussions, but she doesn't care much right now - she just wants to get away from him and go see Ruby.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
The inciting incident and its immediate effects are over with, leaving me with a general sense of 'oh no, I have to plot stuff'. I'm going to try the notecard thing where you write down major events and shuffle them around.

Thekherham

The Alien Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I am reading Life Through My Eyes out loud... very carefully, and boy did I find a humdinger (is that a word?) of a mistake. *smacks his head* I had one of my characters open a cabin door and run out. Next paragraph she runs outside again. How could I have missed that the first time????

Let's see what other stupidity I can find.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Everything in Lily's future depends on what Mr. Goldbloom decides to do next, but Lily knows almost nothing about the man.

Because she's nothing if not logical and practical, she needs find some way to explain his actions to herself. The temptation is to let her go overboard. I will not let her go overboard, no I will not.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Still in chapter nine. This is a challenging chapter because it deals with a lot of martial art exercises and concepts... notably Sanchin and Chi, which I want to bring out in immediate scenes rather than narrative. I think I have Sanchin handled, and now I'm working on Chi, energy flow, and the Kiai.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Taking a step backward. Adult Lily knows too much about fashion based on what I wrote about child Lily. Plug-in scene time, sneaky-peeky child Lily finding a way to view what I'm almost sure were called "showings" at Philadelphia's grandest department stores.

Research first, then forging onward with the plug-in.

Thekherham

The Alien Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing what you find when you read your 'masterpiecer' out loud? This time I found a lot of So's in my work. Every other sentence seems to be (I exaggerate) So what are you going to do? or So when are you leaving? or So that's what you mean. Ugh. I realized I could take out a chunk of So's without destroying the sentence.

Anyway, right now Bad Alharhanians are going to take Thekherham from the village.