Where are you? (in your novel)

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Lily has just learned why the old nurse who died was protecting her--and, incidentally, left her a fortune--but now Lily's got to justify, consider, mull, cogitate...all that internal stuff that could very well make for boring reading.

The only thing your old friend TellMeAStory's got going for her is that Lily's sure to realize she's in danger. Hopefully that won't be boring.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
About half-way or two thirds through my WIP, a series of short stories that fit together with recurring characters to make a whole (I hope). Planning the plot of the next short story; wondering which sub-plots I can extend to individual short stories.

But enjoying myself and writing, which is the main thing!

stewstunes

Registered
Reaction score
Mary is just sitting down to dinner with her parents and new boy friend. She has not met with her parents in three years.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Toward the end of chapter 4. A self-aware AI who named herself Lucy, wants to speak with the sister of her creator.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I am on my fifth of 12 planned revisions. It's 98K words, down from 110K in the first draft. I have ideas to add, if it falls below 80K.

The villain is too icky, I need to humanize him. I'm reworking some elements based on feedback here.

I'm looking for beta readers, but don't know how 'good' it should be before soliciting that. If I am still finding problems, should I avoid looking for betas? Or, is it truer that i will always find problems and should look for betas if it is simply readable?

My WIP is a novel set on another world, in full swing of industrialization. The central conflict is between science and greed, and I am trying to make both as human as possible. So science manifests as unusual abilities in people and greed is already fairly human but I am trying to make it .... you know, like nonjudgmental or something (and failing miserably).

Last edited:

Lielac

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually written a few longhand pages! I'm in the first chapter, wherein the princess vanishes to another world and her bodyguard tries very hard not to take out her panic on the nearest wizard, who's just as confused as everybody else anyway.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Tellmeastory - Hurray! Love sharing wavelengths.

Writeminded - I tend to compartmentalize a bit. :) It's SF/F, and YMMV. I think most actual authors (i.e. not me) are more organic. I made a list of things I didn't want to overlook and ended up with 12 things. The list grows and shrinks though. One item was 'make sure character voice is consistent throughout.' The current focus is to make sure each character is described briefly when they are first introduced. (I plan to have a pass where I do that with each new 'place' too.) But I tweak and tighten in each revision as well.

Still, at this point I know character voice is consistent throughout, and that I have introduced each character with a brief physical description when they appear. So, that's good, right?

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Still, at this point I know character voice is consistent throughout, and that I have introduced each character with a brief physical description when they appear. So, that's good, right?
Definitely! Character voice in particular is really important, so it's good that you're paying attention to that.

PS: Don't put yourself down. You're a real author. You're willing the put in the hard work, the long hours and everything. You've proven it already.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Yo, thanks Raindrop.

I totally want to read the trilogy of your typos.

PixelOwl

Registered
Reaction score
Approximately 15% through my first draft! It may not seem like much, but given that I've only been working on it for a week, I feel like I'm making good progress? Means it should only be about 5 weeks until I'm done.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
That moment, after hours of aimless research, your brain untangles a minor plot hole from five weeks ago that went previously unaddressed, and the solution provides enough fodder for two more books.

Ah, the cup of coffee that pays dividends.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my WIP that I've been working on since October (YAY!) and am currently going back and doing revisions on the WIP I had previous to that....and not getting anywhere >.< Ugh, stupid writing ruts.

ManInBlack

Registered
Reaction score
Website
williamsilvia.net
In the time since I last posted in this thread, I re-wrote one of the POVs in chapter one as part of a class assignment. In the process I reworked a troubling aspect of a character, though it actually worked better with what I had originally written than I expected; apparently there are ways for poor kids to get middle class friends other than those I had originally thought of.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
Lily, who's been involved in some slightly shady dealings, has come to realize that her days in Philadelphia are numbered--if only she knew what that number might be.

She's got to go; she's making hasty preparations to go, but now, soon as I write it, she's going to receive a proposal of marriage. It will be a nice proposal from a man she could very well be happy with.

Only problem? Marriage to him would mean staying in Philadelphia.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at a suspense point in the novel. There's a villain and he's made his play. It looks like the main character is cornered. There will be an encounter.

I'm excited!

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net
Patiently waiting to hear back from my second round of beta readers for my novel, Rasere's War. The eBook cover is complete. All that's left is to make my last edits, write a synopsis, and put it on preorder.

Icarus_Burned

Registered
Reaction score
MC has just turned his back on his entire reason for existing (quite literally) and had an argument with his sister about no longer killing any living thing and the problems that might arise from it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Waiting on pins and needles for my agent to get back to me on the latest read through. I made all the changes she suggested at our last meeting and I'm hoping I hit it home, finally. (-:

Also...editing the manuscript that's coming out in February.

Also...final read-through of a manuscript I am preparing to submit.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting to hear back about queries and full requests for Finished Novel. When those rejections roll in sometime in the New Year, I’ll be moving on to the final agents on my list.

I’m stalled on my WiP but hope to regain momentum when I finish the f/t short-term contract job I’m working right now. I think getting rejections on Finished Novel is messing with my motivation to work on WiP. Sigh. Also I just hit the 40% mark and am experiencing the expected mid-book slump. Boo. Hiss.

KTC: Good job. Keep it up!

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Since my "day job" is retail, I was super stressed during "Black Friday" and for weeks after as we creep closer to Christmas and my brain had stalled with regards to actual composing (still got ideas for scenes and plot points so I drafted those down) and after getting a shiny new computer (because my old one finally crapped out), I am back to writing! Woo!

Right now despite my brain wanting to plow ahead and get back into composition I am forcing it to SIT DOWN and narrow down how many books this damn thing is going to be. So technically I am still early on in the book where my protag wakes up after a really long fever dream.

Last edited:

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
I am happily prepping! I think I know how the novel opens, but I still don't know how three of the five characters appear on the scene. Also, I need to think about how it ends. A moving target is always more difficult to hit.