• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Sterling Lord Literistic

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Seth Fishman responds to all queries, or if he's a "no response means no" agent?

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
Mia - I think he responds to all queries, but I'm not positive about that.

I just saw a comment on QueryTracker that today's Publisher Lunch said that Fishman is moving to the Gernert Company.

I sent a query package to him 8/16 -- do you think he'll take it with him? Or should I requery him at his new location once the websites are updated? Does anyone know what to do in this situation? It's never happened to me before.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com

I just saw a comment on QueryTracker that today's Publisher Lunch said that Fishman is moving to the Gernert Company.

I sent a query package to him 8/16 -- do you think he'll take it with him? Or should I requery him at his new location once the websites are updated? Does anyone know what to do in this situation? It's never happened to me before.

I saw the same announcement on PM today. I've had a couple of agents move on me and they took the submission with them, i.e. I heard back from their new agency. I queried Seth a couple months ago and haven't heard anything... so I can't tell if he's a no-response agent or not.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

Mt. Dew Addict and Erin, the safest thing to do in Mr. Fishman's case would be to re-query him at his new agency, The Gernert Company. Also, while he does take e-mail queries now, he still prefers hard-copy.

Good luck with your queries!

DeeJ

DeeJ
Registered
Reaction score
I met Mr. Guinsler at a conference last year, where I paid $50 for a ten-minute pitch session with him. He was enthusiastic about my pitch and asked me to submit the first 50 pages of my novel, but after the next pitch session, where I sat with another agent at the table next to his, he overheard that agent’s interest in my work and then pulled me over on the way out and asked for an extra 100 pages. I sent him 150 pages that afternoon. The next day he wrote to me to say, and I quote: “I’m loving this. Do you have the full available for email?” I told him I did, made sure he wanted it, then sent it off to him...and that was the last I heard from him. A nudge a month later (a week longer than he instructed me to wait), and then three months after that, and it’s now more than a year since he disappeared without another word to me about my novel.

I guess $50 doesn’t buy as much as it used to, especially when it comes to simple courtesy. It's too bad, too, because he seemed like a nice guy and capable agent.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I would keep sending him very polite status queries about once a month until you hear back from him.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
If he hasn't responded to a full mms in a year, then something's wrong. He's had more than enough time to field the mms to his contacts, and come up with an answer for you.

He may have lost the mms. If you really want to give him a chance, nudging once or twice more might help. If there's no response to that, you may have to call him. I know, it's considered the kiss-o-death, but that may be the only way to reach a living person.

Filigree

DeeJ

DeeJ
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice

Thanks, Waylander and Filigree. I’ve actually just finished a new revision of the novel and am re-starting my query process. Perhaps I’ll nudge again soon, though I’m not sure I want the representation of someone who doesn’t value communication in the way I’d be seeking it.

I doubt he lost the manuscript, incidentally, as I sent it by email. Even if he did, he had my card and knew how to get in touch with me.

So it goes! I just wanted to share my experiences with him. I wouldn’t have minded it so much, either, if I hadn’t paid for the pitch session.

Again, thanks for the advice! :D

po1s

Registered
Reaction score
I just terminated my contract with Robert Guinsler, and I have to say, I was not impressed. As far as I know, in the two years he had my proposal, he shopped it to all of two publishing houses. Maybe he did more work than that, but he is such a horrible communicator that I'll never know.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Anything new happening with this agency? I noticed quiet a few agents leaving for new agencies and that made me wonder. But they seem to still have quiet a few listed on their site and have some sales listed on PM this year so that's good too.

Just wondering. Haven't heard much about them in a while.

saintnepal

Registered
Reaction score
po1s, he actually kept representing it for two years? I have to say, that seems rare. I think most agents would send a polite "We tried, it didn't go," after 6-7 months. I'm no agent, but doesn't seem like most would even hold and try one that long. It's hard to sell, even for agents.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to raise this great beast from the ashes of absolute write by querying them in a few days. It's been almost two years since a comment (querytracker has a couple of people here and there who have commented about queries). I'll tell you how it goes.

oshun55

Registered
Reaction score
Robert Guinsler

I have a meeting set up with him through a conference where he'll read like 20 pages and give me feedback. BTW the folks who put on the conference, Grub Street, say the $ goes to them not the agents. From what I've seen in this thread regarding RG it seems he's not a good agent. Does anyone have recent experience to share?

Director C

needy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to raise this great beast from the ashes of absolute write by querying them in a few days. It's been almost two years since a comment (querytracker has a couple of people here and there who have commented about queries). I'll tell you how it goes.

Any news? Whom did you query?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Snail-queried Madeleine Clark 10/17, including query, synopsis, 3 chapters, and SASE.
Polite form R 11/18, sent by email because it's faster and greener.

*sigh*

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sterling Lord Literistic -- Agency

This is a huge agency with two agents combining efforts in 1987. The agents themselves started work back in the 1950s and 1970s. And, man! Very prestigious list of writers and agents to their names. (A couple of first clients are Jack Kerouac and Ken Kesey.)

http://www.sll.com/default.aspx

Sooo, what am I missing? I can't imagine they aren't on here somewhere, so does anyone know what they used to be called? Because I'm thinking that's the only reason I can't check out the agents easily here.

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
It looks like there's a thread for them here: <snipped>

Last edited by a moderator:

Vivairi

Imposter Syndrome and Black Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bittybooknook.blogspot.com
I have to say, I'm a little daunted by the prestige lol. I was thinking about querying Elizabeth Bewley at SLL, but I can't seem to find very many personal experiences with her. In fact, QueryTracker says that she's only received 83 manuscripts total. Her MSWL says that she joined SLL in 2017! I feel like she would be a super good fit for me.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm a little daunted by the prestige lol. I was thinking about querying Elizabeth Bewley at SLL, but I can't seem to find very many personal experiences with her. In fact, QueryTracker says that she's only received 83 manuscripts total. Her MSWL says that she joined SLL in 2017! I feel like she would be a super good fit for me.

I had a form rejection from her within a month of submitting last year. HTH, and good luck if you query!