• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Sterling Lord Literistic

badapple

Hello, first time posting! This is a great site for us writers! I was given a lead and his name is Robert Guinsler. Does anyone know anything about him? I've been looking but cannot find anything. Thanks.

saintnepal

Registered
Reaction score
He's great

Mr. Guinsler is an agent with Sterling Lord, Literistic, home to bestsellers, pulitzer winners, national book awards, you name it. They're one of the best NY agencies there is and he's certainly one of the best agents. He's probably a good fit for fiction, southern fiction, pop culture, etc. See more at sll.com.

Last edited:

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
saintnepal said:
Mr. Guinsler is an agent with Sterling Lord, Literistic, home to bestsellers, pulitzer winners, national book awards, you name it. They're one of the best NY agencies there is and he's certainly one of the best agents. He's probably a good fit for fiction, southern fiction, pop culture, etc. See more at sll.com.

Thanks Saint. I did see his entry at sll.com, however, it didn't say much and, sadly, I didn't recognize anyone (I do know who Anne Sexton was) he represents. Maybe I should but I didn't. I posted this because I wanted to know what else people knew about him. Are you speaking from experience or this is what you've heard about him? If you are speaking from experience, do you mind sharing a little more? Thanks. (You can also send me a private e-mail if you wish.)

Archetypewriter

Guinsler the Cream

Don't fret, Robert is a mountain of real deal. He's an agent with Sterling Lord Literistic, and well, if you've done your research, you know what you're dealing with there.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
When you're checking on an agent in the P&E listings and an agency is mentioned, be sure to check that listing, too. There's frequently more information at the agency listing.

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
A relative found me a connection to them through an author, and since I'm waiting for a reply for one agent before I can send an exclusive to another, I want to know if this agency is worth interrupting my process for. I've never heard of them. The specific agent I was given the name of is Marcy Posner. Does anyone know anything about her or the agency?

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
They could well be legit, but the marketing talk I'm reading on the site (http://www.sll.com/about.html) doesn't instill me with confidence. It names big names from 30 years ago, but I see no evidence that early agency is the same as this one, or -most importantly- evidence of current sales.

Then there's the win-a-contract contest at http://bookclub.meetup.com/315/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3441331

That said, Robert Guinsler with the same agency has no bad things on file with Preditors and Editors. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19290

So despite all my misgivings, the agency appears to be okay.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sterling Lord are very big, very legit and very prestigious. There should be high on any writer's list of dream agencies. Claudia Cross there read my full and said many good things about it before deciding she couldn't sell it.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
They could well be legit, but the marketing talk I'm reading on the site (http://www.sll.com/about.html) doesn't instill me with confidence. It names big names from 30 years ago, but I see no evidence that early agency is the same as this one, or -most importantly- evidence of current sales.

Lemony Snicket

Look under each agent's bio for some of their clients.

Last edited:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to echo, Big agency, Big name clients.

Jump on that connection!

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
Marcy has years of experience (she was at William Morris and then ran her own agency before joining Sterling Lord, and she was on the publisher side of the desk for years before that) and is definitely on the up and up.

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
They're Real

Big, established, venerable agency.

Many prestigious authors in the past, not sure who their client list is now.

Track record. Never any complaints received by Writer Beware.

SL can keep a low profile in the writer world because they already have a prestigious stable. They probably are very choosy and accept few new clients, which is why we don't hear too much about them.

-Ann C. Crispin

Kristina Cook

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristinacook.com
Sterling Lord

Popped over here to check on something, and this post caught my eye. I'm represented by Marcy Posner at Sterling Lord Literistic, and they are *definitely* a highly respected agency with an impressive client list (I'm just a "little fish" there:) ). Anyway, my experience with Marcy (four years) has been fabulous. If you'd like to know anything more specific, just ask.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Does Marcy like historical fiction?

JacksonMcGees

Registered
Reaction score
Robert E. Guinsler

Does anyone have any new information about him? He's on a list a friend gave me, but I can't find a whole lot about him besides what's in this thread. Anyone know anything else?

Jackson

Rikitikitavi

Registered
Reaction score
I can tell you from personal experience that he is nice . . .but he is a bad communicator.