AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Sterling Lord Literistic

badapple

[Agency] Sterling Lord Literistic

Hello, first time posting! This is a great site for us writers! I was given a lead and his name is Robert Guinsler. Does anyone know anything about him? I've been looking but cannot find anything. Thanks.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    See http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealr.htm

Robert Guinsler: $ a literary agent with Sterling Lord Literistic, Inc.
    For more on agents in general:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight...es/004772.html

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

He's great

Mr. Guinsler is an agent with Sterling Lord, Literistic, home to bestsellers, pulitzer winners, national book awards, you name it. They're one of the best NY agencies there is and he's certainly one of the best agents. He's probably a good fit for fiction, southern fiction, pop culture, etc. See more at sll.com.
    Last edited by saintnepal; 10-05-2005 at 03:31 AM.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by saintnepal
    Mr. Guinsler is an agent with Sterling Lord, Literistic, home to bestsellers, pulitzer winners, national book awards, you name it. They're one of the best NY agencies there is and he's certainly one of the best agents. He's probably a good fit for fiction, southern fiction, pop culture, etc. See more at sll.com.
    Thanks Saint. I did see his entry at sll.com, however, it didn't say much and, sadly, I didn't recognize anyone (I do know who Anne Sexton was) he represents. Maybe I should but I didn't. I posted this because I wanted to know what else people knew about him. Are you speaking from experience or this is what you've heard about him? If you are speaking from experience, do you mind sharing a little more? Thanks. (You can also send me a private e-mail if you wish.)

Archetypewriter

Guinsler the Cream

[font=Courier New]Don't fret, Robert is a mountain of real deal. He's an agent with Sterling Lord Literistic, and well, if you've done your research, you know what you're dealing with there.
    Last edited by Archetypewriter; 08-10-2007 at 11:59 PM.

practical experience, FTW
    He might be.

Always a writer Daughter of Faulkner's Avatar

Lightbulb Thank you

Thank you for sharing this.
    He really does seem like a fine agent.

All good wishes to everyone!

Take care.
    Always a writer,
    Eileen St. Lauren
    Author

http://mysite.verizon.net/eileenstlauren

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    When you're checking on an agent in the P&E listings and an agency is mentioned, be sure to check that listing, too. There's frequently more information at the agency listing.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

My heart's a battleground Mystic Blossom's Avatar

[Agency] Sterling Lord Literistic

A relative found me a connection to them through an author, and since I'm waiting for a reply for one agent before I can send an exclusive to another, I want to know if this agency is worth interrupting my process for. I've never heard of them. The specific agent I was given the name of is Marcy Posner. Does anyone know anything about her or the agency?

Know what you write...
    No agent is worth interrupting a running process unless they're clearly a big agency agent you don't have to ask about. "Sterling Lord Linteristic" immediately made me think about SterlingHouse publishers (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2007/0...er-beware.html) but I am not sure if there is a connection.

Know what you write...
    They could well be legit, but the marketing talk I'm reading on the site (http://www.sll.com/about.html) doesn't instill me with confidence. It names big names from 30 years ago, but I see no evidence that early agency is the same as this one, or -most importantly- evidence of current sales.

Then there's the win-a-contract contest at http://bookclub.meetup.com/315/board...thread=3441331

That said, Robert Guinsler with the same agency has no bad things on file with Preditors and Editors. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=19290

So despite all my misgivings, the agency appears to be okay.

Sockpuppet
    http://www.sll.com/

Do you mean this one? If so, then this one of the big agencies. They represented John Irving and Jack Kerouac.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Sterling Lord are very big, very legit and very prestigious. There should be high on any writer's list of dream agencies. Claudia Cross there read my full and said many good things about it before deciding she couldn't sell it.

Absolutely Fazed
    Sterling Lord is so big and classy even their rejection letters come on high quality paper.

Absolutely Fazed
    They could well be legit, but the marketing talk I'm reading on the site (http://www.sll.com/about.html) doesn't instill me with confidence. It names big names from 30 years ago, but I see no evidence that early agency is the same as this one, or -most importantly- evidence of current sales.
    Lemony Snicket

Look under each agent's bio for some of their clients.
    Last edited by DeadlyAccurate; 09-02-2007 at 09:24 PM.

Just to echo, Big agency, Big name clients.

Jump on that connection!
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAccurate View Post
    Sterling Lord is so big and classy even their rejection letters come on high quality paper.
    Super Hero and out of control 'Chocoholic' in desperate need of help.

"Books are well or badly written. That's all." Oscar Wilde

WIP Adult Fiction - 51,500/90,000
    WIP Adult Fiction - 22,000/85,000
    WIP Children's Middle Grade - 6500/40,000
    No Experience Necessary- 95,000 completed - submitting
    From The Grave - 85,500 completed - submitting
    Andy's Attic Adventure - children's chapter book completed - submitting
    Fergus and Lucy - children's picture book completed -submitting

www.thesbmgroup.com.au

practical experience, FTW Crinklish's Avatar
    Marcy has years of experience (she was at William Morris and then ran her own agency before joining Sterling Lord, and she was on the publisher side of the desk for years before that) and is definitely on the up and up.

Requiescat In Pace Requiescat In Pace

They're Real

Big, established, venerable agency.

Many prestigious authors in the past, not sure who their client list is now.

Track record. Never any complaints received by Writer Beware.

SL can keep a low profile in the writer world because they already have a prestigious stable. They probably are very choosy and accept few new clients, which is why we don't hear too much about them.

-Ann C. Crispin

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Kristina Cook's Avatar

Sterling Lord

Popped over here to check on something, and this post caught my eye. I'm represented by Marcy Posner at Sterling Lord Literistic, and they are *definitely* a highly respected agency with an impressive client list (I'm just a "little fish" there ). Anyway, my experience with Marcy (four years) has been fabulous. If you'd like to know anything more specific, just ask.

Hmm. Does Marcy like historical fiction?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Kristina Cook's Avatar

Smile

Marcy definitely likes history, and historical fiction!

Robert E. Guinsler

Does anyone have any new information about him? He's on a list a friend gave me, but I can't find a whole lot about him besides what's in this thread. Anyone know anything else?

Jackson

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.sll.com/agents_guinsler.html

What sort of info are you looking for?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I can tell you from personal experience that he is nice . . .but he is a bad communicator.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast