• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Krista Goering Literary Agency LLC

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any chance it was just a human thing- she rejected it but then thought about it and casually showed it to a publisher and that person liked it? Then she got back to the author again? Really I don't know how this all works, but I am wondering if something like that could happen. She changed her mind?

It doesn't matter, she had no right to show it to the publisher at all. What she could have done is get back in touch with the writer, let her know she'd thought of a pub that might be right for her manuscript after all, and ask if it was still available.

But, even then, agree to rep the book, but for submission to just that pub alone? You can't say, "I'll represent this book, but only to this publisher." It's the agent's job to get the best deal possible for the writer. The author should still run fast and far.

Can't see an upside to this one.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Is there any chance it was just a human thing- she rejected it but then thought about it and casually showed it to a publisher and that person liked it? Then she got back to the author again? Really I don't know how this all works, but I am wondering if something like that could happen. She changed her mind?

This really Really REALLY isn't how it works. She could change her mind, yes. But after rejecting the author and changing her mind, the thing she should've done was to contact the author to she if she was still interested. NOT shopped the book.

And if she had shown the book to an editor who was interested, while squicky indeed, the next step was absolutely NOT to try to strong-arm the book's author into signing a contract to the extent of stating that her representation was only for this one book.

This whole thing just has all kinds of 'wrong' written all over it.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Julie, feel free to call it whatever makes you feel comfortable. I'm not going to get into a semantics discussion. The facts speak for themselves:
- Krista rejected the author.
- She never contacted the author to establish a verbal or contractual agreement. (In fact, the contract to represent came along with the publishing contract.)
- Krista never asked the author for permission to pitch the manuscript.
- Krista made the contract offer - and only at that time did she contact the author with an offer to represent her for this deal only.
- Krista never attempted to negotiate the contract, instead leaving it up to the author, who knows very little about literary contracts.

Turningpoint - this isn't an accidental "oops" thing. An agent knows exactly what they can and can't do. I have shown manuscripts casually to agents and other editors as well, but I always asked permission first. I don't reject an author, then do whatever I please with their work. By rejecting the work, I'm severing my ties to that work. If I change my mind, then I must contact the author.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Julie, feel free to call it whatever makes you feel comfortable. I'm not going to get into a semantics discussion. The facts speak for themselves:
- Krista rejected the author.
- She never contacted the author to establish a verbal or contractual agreement. (In fact, the contract to represent came along with the publishing contract.)
- Krista never asked the author for permission to pitch the manuscript.
- Krista made the contract offer - and only at that time did she contact the author with an offer to represent her for this deal only.
- Krista never attempted to negotiate the contract, instead leaving it up to the author, who knows very little about literary contracts.

None of this bothers me much. The main thing is she's located in Kansas and doesn't have a publishing background. That's two strikes.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
The problem with this sort of behavior (as has already been hinted at, I believe) is that the agent is damaging the author's chances with the book. She is shopping it to a publisher, and thereby closing off that publisher from looking at the book in the future (assuming the manuscript was rejected).

And that, in turn, is hurting the writer's chances of getting an agent other than her since agents don't generally like representing books that have already been shopped around to publishers.

Besides the fact that, well, I think such behavior is unethical.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Turningpoint - this isn't an accidental "oops" thing. An agent knows exactly what they can and can't do. I have shown manuscripts casually to agents and other editors as well, but I always asked permission first. I don't reject an author, then do whatever I please with their work. By rejecting the work, I'm severing my ties to that work. If I change my mind, then I must contact the author.

Well, I think here it's pretty obvious that she doesn't understand what she can and can't do. If anything, all of this just goes to show that Ms. Goering doesn't understand how the business works and should be avoided.

Granted, I'm agreeing with you, of course. Just also saying that it's another major strike against her that indicates she has no idea what she's doing.

Westie

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Redflag-redflag-redflag!!

Thank goodness I found this thread! I queried this agent a while back as she seemed like a good fit and after reading her website, I thought she had made a few recent fiction sales.

This is all very concerning, and I'm a true believer in 'a bad agent is worse than no agent'.

Thank you, everyone, for your input on this thread.

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I think there could be a much more benign explanation for what Ms. Goering did here, in terms of rejecting the ms and then suggesting a publisher. It's definitely odd and unprofessional, but I can see situations in which something like this could happen and no malfeasance was involved.

However, I think that something important is being overlooked here--the publisher. I don't think I'm giving anything vital away by revealing that it's Norlights Press (audio ambush alert if you click that link), a non-advance-paying publisher with wholesale distribution only that relies entirely on print-on-demand, does not accept returns, and has a problematic contract (I've seen the contract). There is nothing whatever wrong with using POD as your production method--however, it is a marker for no or very small print runs, and together with the lack of advance and nonreturnability, makes this a publisher that any successful agent should be very reluctant to recommend or work with--if at all.

There's also the conflict of interest issue posed by the co-existence of a literary agency. See this AW discussion thread.

Although Ms. Goering has made some very solid sales, I've been concerned all along about her apparent willingness to work with questionable publishers--she sold a book to Morgan James, which has a huge buyback clause in its contract and may charge for services such as editing--and non-advance-paying publishers (Dailey Swan, O Books [which now looks as if it's out of business]). Independent of the odd behavior here, this latest info just confirms my concern.

- Victoria

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I think there could be a much more benign explanation for what Ms. Goering did here, in terms of rejecting the ms and then suggesting a publisher. It's definitely odd and unprofessional, but I can see situations in which something like this could happen and no malfeasance was involved.
I'll concede that point, Vic. I have had a number of agents who pitch a book to me, even though they'd passed on it (it wasn't what they represented). But in all those cases, they asked the author first.

And I'm glad you brought up the publisher. My brief check on them put my jaw in my lap, and I was dismayed that anyone would feel this was a good deal.

paqart

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paqphoto.com
SNIP
which has a huge buyback clause in its contract and may charge for services such as editing--and non-advance-paying publishers (Dailey Swan, O Books [which now looks as if it's out of business]). Independent of the odd behavior here, this latest info just confirms my concern.

- Victoria

This is the wrong O Books. The one Krista works with is located here: O Books. They have since moved to a new name/imprint of John Hunt Publishing called 6TH Books, located here:

AP

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
PM page is gone, and she's closed to new clients. Does claim a sale to St. Martin's Press, however.

john hunt

Registered
Reaction score
I think the O Books referred to here is not us (it's a small poetry list somewhere)...if you go to johnhuntpublishing.com, we have a number of imprints, of which (our) O Books (with a hyphen) is one.

and yes, I've seen another thread here on us, we ask for an author subsidy on about one in three or four titles. If you go to any of the imprints, click on author inquiries, there's a user guide, which explains how we work, contract details etc.

If anything there seems unreasonable, happy to talk about it.
john

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No further activity on her site, but her clients continue to publish with the likes of John Hunt/O Books and Morgan James.

ETA: site gone early '19.

Last edited: