• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] Once Upon A Time

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a couple of magazines I was wondering about, this is the first: Once Upon A Time Magazine. Their website is here: http://onceuponatimemag.com/. Anyone ever heard of them, had dealings, etc?

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Not yet. I'm going to soon, but I wanted to know if anyone here had any info. that might be helpful.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Looked at their submissions page. I've never heard of them - but their submission guidelines seem fine. The only thing that makes me wonder is how they say only seven people don't know about them. . . There's three of us already who don't on this post. lol ;) I wouldn't hestitate to submit - but I've never heard of them. As long as they do not charge some fee or offer you editing services or some other crap - it's probably fine.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of them either. What are the odds that four out of those seven people post here on AW? :)

They've been around for 18 years, they say, so they must be doing something right.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, the planets must be in alignment. Make it five. :Shrug: I write for kids and I haven't heard of them either.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
I asked my toddler if she's ever heard of them. She said "Cheese." Guess that's a no. ; )

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I asked my toddler if she's ever heard of them. She said "Cheese." Guess that's a no. ; )

Or maybe that's what the kids are saying instead of "yes" these days.

Thanks for the replies guys. So no one's ever heard of them, huh? I wonder if that means anything...hmm, I'll have to do a bit more looking into them before I submit. I'm picky that way.

Last edited:

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it isn't a paying market, regardless.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I would send stuff to a paying market before considering a non-paying one, unless I like the market so much I just HAVE to submit. Smokelong Quarterly would be a good example of a non-paying market I wouldn't mind being in.

Every magazine has to start somewhere, when I started Peccary last year, no one heard of it either. I'd see if any of the market search engines has it listed and see how they think about that market.

(Oh yeah, I'm no. 6.)

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Ta da! Number 7, here. I've never heard of it, either.

ETA: But that doesn't mean anything one way or the other, simply that I've never heard of it.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A writer's bio mentions a Spring '09 issue, but the site's now a Japanese "how to find a kindergarten" link farm.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Eight!

I did some googling on "once upon a time magazine." I found two old eBay listings for hardcopy back issues that described them as "rare." I found a bunch of market listings for it, and some "I've also been published in" mentions. I also found this article, which -- forgive me if I'm wrong -- sounds like it's either shilling for or sucking up to the magazine. It passes on some interesting data:
This market publishes 25 to 30 freelance subs every issue on writing. Specifically, on children’s writing. What a coincidence! I write for children. I like to be paid most of the time, and this is not a paying market. So if you’ve got a big hangup about payment issues, this may not be a market for you. But if you’d like to share what you’ve learned, sort of passing along the gift of your experience, this may be the perfect market for you. Check out the submission guidelines here if you’ve already come up with a great idea.
What I didn't find was anyone talking about reading it.

If it's just a bunch of unpaid writers writing about writing, I don't see the point.