Status
Not open for further replies.

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
hownottobeastepmum.blogspot.com
If that is the right word.
Here is a para from my wip but I am a bit concerned that 'the lady in question' is stereotyped. What I don't want to come across is I don't like extra large ladies. I want to get my point across without offending. After all, Dawn French is a wonderful lady but how do you say fat without using the word?

I squashed myself into the forward facing seat of the Virgin cross-country express train to Leeds. I wasn’t fortunate enough to be seated at a table, and even less fortunate to have a rather heavy woman mentally note her reserved seat was situated next to me. At this point I wondered if I should use the toilet now, because once she was in the seated position she would probably need to be prised out with a giant shoehorn.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Having been the heavy on planes more times than I care to count I've come to expect the eye-rolls, micro-expressions of disgust for having "let myself go," and on one occasion a yuppie provided all three and added "There's always one." His momma didn't raise him right, apparently.

Yes, I'm well aware of every single hated pound I've acquired in 19+ years of writing, no one needs to remind me. :(

I like such attitudes even less than the too-narrow seats, and it does not make for a good introduction for your--at this point--unlikeable character. There are other ways to present anxiety about the trip. Be brilliant and think up something better!
icon7.gif

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, I didn't want to offend and perhaps I was a bit close to the mark there. I have, however thought of the Chav. I appreciate your honesty and thankyou for your curteous reply.

Chav's have such a tribal dress code that you can spot one yards away!
Now what makes the Chavs attire so funny is that they think they are at the cutting edge fashion and that by adorning their body with hunks of worthless 9ct gold they look rich!

Chavs. They have a uniform, they almost single handedly keep Stella Artois in business, and if it wasn't for them, JD Sports would have closed down years ago. Yes, we are talking chavs.

Reaction score
What's wrong with using the word fat? I can't stand political correctness myself; the only problem I would have with using the f-word in a WIP is that it's telling rather than showing. I don't see much wrong with that first paragraph.

mum23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's a difficult one really. I was trying to find a humourous niche rather than the tut tut one Gillhoughly descibed. I want my character to be liked so if taking the mickey out of someone who has a weight problem is going to cause a reader to not want to read on (perhaps because they too may be overweight) then I want to find something most people can relate to.
Hope there are no chav's lurking.

Reaction score
Chavs are illiterate anyway!

No, seriously...no one would admit to being a chav so even if there were any present, they wouldn't think you were referring to them! ;)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to the character to be liked, i think you might need to change her tone. So far, she's made disparaging remarks about fat people and chavs (whatever they are) and not particularly funny ones. To me she comes across as prejudiced and bigotted, rather than funny. But that might just be me.

There's a difference between taking the mickey out of someone and subscribing to stereotyped ideas about whole groups of people. Taking the mickey out of someone is funny when it concerns one particular person, whom we can see takes himself too seriously and needs to be taken down a peg. Making fun of a whole group of people in what to me seems a particularly nasty tone isnt that funny. BUt that is just my opinion and should be taken as such. :)

Last edited:

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
There's not enough in the first paragraph alone to characterize the speaker yet. I like it a lot because of its provocative tone. Don't know what chavs are either, but these little rants could be leading somewhere. I think they make your character colorful. It's too early to form opinions about these remarks. If she goes on like that, I'd agree that it's on the way to becoming problem.

But as far as it goes, it makes me want to know why she's so fussy, what caused her mood. She has strong opinions. Is she just irritable or is this an example of her iron will? I wouldn't change it, and I'm sorry if that offends a poster, but prejudice and ill manners often come out of the best (most interesting) characters.

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to the character to be liked, i think you might need to change her tone. So far, she's made disparaging remarks about fat people and chavs (whatever they are)

Council Housing And Violent.

They roam the streets in large packs buying beer and alcopops, moving from estate to estate beating up anyone slightly poofy or foreign. Can be instantly recognised by tasteless fashion sense, baggy nike/ecko/etc clothing and usually something garish or from burberry. Favoured choice of weapon: Fists.

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
I'm just getting the prejudiced vibe here, too, whether it's prejudice against fat people or chavs (didn't know what they were until Ageless posted either). Maybe have your MC get into an altercation with someone while she's waiting for the plane, then she ends up seated next to that person? I think personalizing it takes away the sense that an entire group is being stereotyped, plus it adds some nice conflict.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
What if you had your character have some sympathy for the heavy lady? IE the lady is apologetic about the seating arrangement and the character is not annoyed because he/she feels bad for the woman.

Harimum

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also getting the vibe that your character is a little bit prejudiced and tbh it would make me less sympathetic to her. Could you maybe show her being irritated by her journey but have her respond in a less judgemental way?

If anything, I think it would be really really funny to see her underreact to the provocation as I think it's something most people can identify with. Something or someone annoying you but you don't want to make a scene so you just suffer in silence!

just my opinion anyway. Good luck with that! :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Fat isn't a dirty word. OK, it can be used as an insult but I don't think that means we should avoid it as a description.

As for chavs, who cares what they think? :D

Harimum

Registered
Reaction score
Having been the heavy on planes more times than I care to count I've come to expect the eye-rolls, micro-expressions of disgust for having "let myself go," and on one occasion a yuppie provided all three and added "There's always one." His momma didn't raise him right, apparently.
That actually makes me feel very angry. What has your weight got to do with him? He might be an alcoholic or a drug addict or have a mental illness or a phobia or anything and he wouldn't like you to make sarcastic remarks about his issues would he? Nobody is perfect but that man had an ugly attitude and I think it says a lot more about him than it did about you.

I don't think his mum did raise him right either. I would be so ashamed if my son grew up to behave like that! I'd wonder where I went wrong!

Garpy

keyboard monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scarrow.dsnet.co.uk
I'd go with chavs....you'll hit the sweet spot with most (British) readers who equally despise those brainless oiks.

I have to admit to laying into chavs somewhat in my last published book (plug alert: Last Light) Perhaps they're too easy a target to go for...I dunno, but as someone said, no chav is going to end up reading your book, and even less likely to be able to put pen to paper and write a legible complaint.

As for the issue of fat. I'm not one to bend to PC ways frankly. But putting your commercial-writer hat on, would you really want to alienate the 45% of your readership who are officially overweight?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'd go with chavs....you'll hit the sweet spot with most (British) readers who equally despise those brainless oiks.

I have to admit to laying into chavs somewhat in my last published book (plug alert: Last Light)

Your book came into work a couple of days ago. If you're laying into chavs, your book has moved up my To Read list :D

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I've read a couple of books where the MC says something disparaging about fat people - and it irritated me. Not because I'm fat, but because I dislike the idea that someone can be so judgmental about something so irrelevant to them. There's such a fine line between judging fat people and judging Jews or (fill in the blank with group of your choice). In my opinion, political correctness is correct because it honors the dignity of all people. It's not just some hare-brained scheme thought up by bored left-wingers.

Reaction score
But people do make judgements about others. We all do. If our characters were all PC then our books wouldn't be realistic. There are arseholes out there. There are fat people, skinny people, black, white, gay, straight, neo-Nazis, Christians, Muslims, you name it.

Personally I hate political correctness. I try to be polite (most of the time) because it's a good thing to be, not because the government or society tells me to be.

I have no qualms about writing un-PC characters and will continue to do so. Some of mine have said disparaging things about fat people, homosexuals, in fact...most people from all walks of life. And they will continue to do so, because my stories are set in the real world, where offensive or judgemental people exist.

In fact, we're all offensive and judgemental at some point, and cleaning up our books won't make them any more believable - in fact I'd say it would make them less so.

Stories should have the ring of truth, not the antiseptic stink of having been sanitised.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Having a larger person on the aisle is a pain more because they take up more of the share armrest/elbow area and are more difficult to slide past without touching rather than because they can't get out of their seats. You might simply want to nail the 'tude to a more reasonable concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.