Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: Dorchester Publishing / Leisure Books

So many ideas, never enough time. michael_b's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triceretops View Post
    I haven't heard anything on a hardmail query for over four months. I take it this is all hardmail subs, partials and fulls included?

Tri
    I actually called them at the first part of December--I had a contact number for an editorial assistant there--and she told me my book is sitting on the editor's desk while they try to decide what, if anything, to do with the book.

I've noticed the line I submitted it to doesn't appear to be issuing books right now.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Anyone heard of Imajinn Books or Dorchester Publishing?

I discovered both of their websites today. Does anyone have any experience with either? Any information is much appreciated. Thank you

Bri

the land of black flies TheRightEyedDeer's Avatar
    Adding links:

http://www.imajinnbooks.com/
    (turn your speakers OFF)

http://www.dorchesterpub.com/
    Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead.
    - Gene Fowler

TheRightEyedDeer

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    Dorchester is big.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

practical experience, FTW wannawrite's Avatar
    I've submitted to Dorchester. Still sitting in a corner, counting my toes and waiting for a response.
    http://www.kcwildwood.net

Demon Heart; Sold to Lyrical Press. Yeah!
    Out of the Dark Trilogy; Got a 'revise and resubmit' invite. *heavy sigh* Back to the drawing board.
    Cowgirl Up; Request for a full!
    Texas Hold 'Em; Request for a full!
    Blood Moon; Still waiting on query reply. *heavy sigh*
    Sweet Surprises; I finally finshed the mutherhumper! Now what do I do with my time?

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    As with any publisher or agent, it's best to first check the index at the top of this page to see if there's already a thread on them. (You might note that there's a notice in big letters that says * * * 'SCUSE ME, EVERYBODY... DON'T POST HERE BEFORE READING THE INDEX! * * *

You can find the index here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792

It's all in alphabetical order, and you'll find Dorchester and a link that takes you here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75602 as well as Imajinn and a link that takes you here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13471

thank you, i appreciate it.

I have a book sitting somewhere on an editor's desk while they sort out the fallout from the cancellation of the Shomi fiction line. Not sure what is going to happen to it now, because it does not fit their LoveSpell line of books.
    Michael Barnette
    Fiction with an Erotic Edge
    My Domain LiveJournal Twitter Facebook
    I do NaNoWriMo

**An All Romance eBooks Bestseller**
    Order-The Prince He Loved
    Print
    Ebook
    Apocalypse Dance-Sold to Fireborn Publishing 4-15-15

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    I have a REQUESTED manuscript still sitting on an editor's desk since July 2007, and re-sent via email in August 2008 (per editor's request).
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Contemporary - Available NOW! (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I have a REQUESTED manuscript still sitting on an editor's desk since July 2007, and re-sent via email in August 2008 (per editor's request).
    Mine was also requested, and is 'under consideration' but, at this point I don't even know if the editor that requested my book is still with the company.
    Michael Barnette
    I do NaNoWriMo

Print
    Ebook

Okie dokie, I just got rejected on an agented thee chaps. Woopee!

Tri

E-Subs

Just a quick update to those interested...I noticed on Ralan's that Dorchester Publishing accepts e-subs now. Website confirms.

--Dev

Dorchester

My experiences with Dorchester (Leisure) are basically negative. They never respond to submissions, as far as my experiences have gone. They never even responded to agented submissions of my work. Many moons ago I had a book (sans agent) submitted there. After months and months (about a year and a half) I got an email from editor Don D'Auria explaining that he had it on "(his) desk" and that I would be hearing something "within a few weeks". Weeks passed. Months passed. I never heard anything at all from them (or him). I notifed them that I was pulling the book to submit it elsewhere, but I don't think it mattered at that point.

My impression of Dorchester is that they publish two types of horror novels:

1: Those written my established authors who can't find homes for their work at traditional houses.

2: Novels written by newbies who do classic Hollywood-style pitches face to face with D'Auria at conventions and make their "sale" in person.

The one agented novel I sent to them got nowhere, apparently. I later sold it on my own (after leaving that agency) and then sold the movie rights to a major studio.

Dorchester is certainly a reputable publisher, but I have nothing good to say about the way they run their submissions process.

My book has been parked there gathering dust for a year as of last month. I think it's time to make a call and find out what, if anything, they intend to do with it. I wouldn't mind having a crack at pro publication, but a book sitting in limbo does nothing for my career either.

Thanks for the input James.
    Michael Barnette
    I do NaNoWriMo

Print
    Ebook

Another thing about Dorchester is that they pay very, very, very low advances. I think their royalty system stacks up with the rest of the larger publishers, but the advances are really bad.

I have met agents who won't deal with them because of the low advances.

And I've met agents who previously would not deal with them, but now they will due to the shrunken market for horror fiction.

Got a canned response from an Editor at Dorchester.
    ---
    Congratulations again on becoming a finalist in the Shomi Fiction contest. We hope you enjoyed the experience.

After the contest ends, we do a careful evaluation of each entry. Although your manuscript has much to recommend it, we’re afraid it’s not quite as strong as other submissions we are currently considering.

We wish you the best of luck in your writing career and do hope you’ll stay in touch.
    ---
    It fit the Shomi guidelines but as far as LoveSpell it's neither fish nor foul. It doesn't fit that line at all so I was expecting this letter since the Shomi line is gone.

I'll dust it off, redo the end, and see if I can find an agent. It's not like I can sell this one to my regular ebook publishers. Not enough sexual content.
    Michael Barnette
    I do NaNoWriMo

Print
    Ebook

practical experience, FTW
    I heard that authors with this publisher have had problems getting paid... Is this still true?

Dear Author is reporting that Dorchester has sold some of its back-list. Guess there was some fire to all that smoke then.

Dorchester appears to have some cash flow problems. Some of the writers for the Trues (the confession magazine arm of Dorchester) said their checks bounced the first time they tried to cash them. The checks eventually went through, but it's still problematic.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Website | Twitter

Interesting press release from Dorchester: a new "Publisher's Pledge" program:

“Publisher’s Pledge is a reaffirmation of the business model Dorchester has always prided itself on,” stated Brooke Borneman, Director of Sales and Marketing. “Our strength has been identifying emerging voices and trends in the industry rather than chasing bestsellers. Our intent is to reestablish ourselves in the market as the publisher authors and agents turn to first to introduce new talent. Dorchester has proven countless times—through our innovative marketing, tireless dedication and willingness to take chances—that we are uniquely qualified for this special and vital niche. This program represents our commitment—our pledge, if you will—to everyone in the book publishing community.”

Launching in April 2010, the Publisher’s Pledge program will be supported by online and national print advertising; bookstore mailings; press release and ARC campaigns to media, reviewers, bloggers, retailers, libraries and consumers; lead features in bookseller, library and consumer e-newsletters; consumer contests and buzz campaigns through social networking sites; and a money-back guarantee for readers.
    I'm not sure what it means, if anything.

http://romanceuniversity.org/2010/02...is-just-in-14/
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Website | Twitter

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    I'm seeing rumours that all editor appointments, workshops and spotlights on Dorchester at the RWA conference have been cancelled because Dorchester is past due in fulfilling contractual obligations to some of their authors.

I can't find anything on the RWA site (at least not on the areas open to non-members) confirming this though.
    Last edited by jennontheisland; 07-15-2010 at 02:06 AM.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

practical experience, FTW mlhernandez's Avatar
    Writers who had appointments with Leah Hultenschmidt received notices Dorchester appointments and spotlights had been canceled. I don't have the official statement but it's *the* topic in some writer forums right now.

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    I poked around RWA's site, and their latest hot sheet info is from last December. I haven't heard anything anywhere else, though.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

practical experience, FTW Nadia's Avatar
    Dear Author posted more on the RWA & Dorchester situation: http://dearauthor.com/wordpress/2010...ited-from-rwa/
    How to Format Your Manuscript for Kindle and Nook
    A Happily Ever After of Her Own

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." -- Oscar Wilde

Self-Banned

Dorchester publishing closes its doors

We just got the email at work. Dorchester publishing, as of sept 01, will cease print publishing and will only publish ebooks. I feel sad for writers with contracts and especially those who have a contract but still waiting on the publishing of their books. I hope they all had agents who negotiated favourable rights reversions.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast