The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Dorchester Publishing / Leisure Books

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar

Dorchester Publishing / Leisure Books

Dorchester (Leisure Books, Love Spell) is "the oldest independent mass-market publisher in America," but they don't have a Bewares thread for some reason. Anyone have dealings with them?

My own experience: they can take 9 months with a partial, and even longer with a full.
    Last edited by Julie Worth; 08-31-2007 at 07:08 PM.

One of their editors requested a partial from me and I sent it. Of course it's only been a month, so I'm settling down for a long fall/winter/spring of waiting, if your experience is typical.
    Jodi locuta est; causa finita est.

Untitled: 2052/60,000

blog

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich.” Louis Sabin

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." Christopher Morley

They're definitely legit, but yes, it's my understanding subs take a long time.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

I've reviewed a book by them, they are perfectly legitimate.

Many publishers often take a long time to respond to subs.

Good luck with your partial Jodi.
    WHEN I am a best-selling author...did I say when? Yes! WHEN! Not "if."

"I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive." -Albert Einstein

I have also heard (unverified rumor only) that their advances and royalties are at the low end of the spectrum.

But everyone I have spoke to absolutely raves about how great the editors are, so take that into effect as well.
    The Girl's Guide to (Man)Hunting - Available May 1, 2012. Amazon | B&N |Goodreads

www.jessica-sims.com
    www.jillmyles.com
    http://jessica-clare.com

I chatted with an author who pubbed his first major novel with them and he had nothing but good things to say. They do take forever to respond, but that's a price you pay. Check out their forum, there's lots of folks chatting on there that have either produced novels through them or others hoping to get one on the shelf.

Pike
    Pike

"The first draft of anything is shit." Ernest Hemingway

WIP's:Frenzy - Currently available on Amazon, Sequel - Plotting stages

http://pikespage.blogspot.com/ Come by and see what I've been up to.

Link To Frenzy

Historicals and Horror rule donroc's Avatar
    Dorchester "lost" my unsolicited manuscript. Fortunately, another publisher has accepted it and is releasing it 1 November 2007.

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I would say Dorchester is pretty legit, considering their imprint HARD CASE CRIME published StephenKing's The Colorado Kid

They sent my agent a rejection notice after about two months.
    If I had a signature, you'd be reading it right now.

smart enough to know better
    I've found them to be very congenial. They return phone calls, which is a big plus with us. FYI: They've stopped publishing contemporary women's fiction, even though the website mentions it. Right now it's just romance, horror, thriller and western. We haven't submitted anything to them, but Gloria talks to Alissa Davis from time time. She's the editorial assistant and a sweetheart.

DP

Dorchester is an independent publisher. I've dealt with them on numerous occasions when running various contests for RWA chapters. Nice people.

My understanding is it's a "starter" publisher (much like a "starter home") or at least had been considered that for many years. I've been out of Romance for a little while, but just before I focused elsewhere there was noise about Dorchester trying to expand their market and genre base (much as Harlequin did with their Luna imprint). For the longest time, they were the primary publisher of Paranormal & Futuristic Romances.

My best friend got a personalized rejection letter from Chris Keeslar which was very insightful and way beyond the normal call of duty, FWIW--though it did take about a year.

figuring it all out
    A chapter mate of mine just signed with Dorchester for her first book; she seems quite happy with them. Of course, she was a Golden Heart finalist and they came courting her because they'd read her entry.

figuring it all out

Good Day

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
    Dorchester (Leisure Books, Love Spell) is "the oldest independent mass-market publisher in America," but they don't have a Bewares thread for some reason. Anyone have dealings with them?

My own experience: they can take 9 months with a partial, and even longer with a full.

Hello,

I also queried Dorchester for my new title as they published my father's following titles: 'White House Ghosts' in 1979, 'Star Ghosts' in 1979, 'Murder in Amityville' in 1982 and 'Entry' in 1981.

I sent my query on July 9th along with others as I submit 3-4 at a time then wait.

Below is part of my e-mail as my bio has changed...for the better. However, this is an example of querying a publisher you like but aren't sure whether or not they would take your title. Their website may not be as informative and or you want to ask just the same. Why not?

" From: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Subject: Question
    Date: July 9, 2007 10:31:06 AM EDT
    To: byamashita@dorchesterpub.com

Dear Editor,

I would like the chance to submit my memoir entitled, 'Growing Up Haunted.' I was not sure if your house takes memoirs as this one is quite unique depicting both parents haunting legacy's and inside information..."

They never did respond back but nonetheless, this was an experience and part of the query process.

Best,

Alexandra
    http://www.hauntingholzer.com

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra6 View Post
    I sent my query on July 9th along with others as I submit 3-4 at a time then wait.

Below is part of my e-mail as my bio has changed...for the better. However, this is an example of querying a publisher you like but aren't sure whether or not they would take your title. Their website may not be as informative and or you want to ask just the same. Why not?

They never did respond back but nonetheless, this was an experience and part of the query process.
    If you look at their submissions page, you'll see that they don't take emailed queries. Also, note that they want to see material: Please mail a cover letter, synopsis (roughly 5 pages) and the first three chapters of your work—no complete manuscripts unless specifically requested. Our review process typically takes 6-8 months.

figuring it all out

Wink

If you look at their submissions page, you'll see that they don't take emailed queries. Also, note that they want to see material: Please mail a cover letter, synopsis (roughly 5 pages) and the first three chapters of your work—no complete manuscripts unless specifically requested. Our review process typically takes 6-8 months.
    They had changed their format from when they published my father. That is why I sent an e-mail marked 'Question' not Query. Certainly one can ask or answer a question without a query included as many have done so.

It is nice and refreshing when a publisher does so when one has a question regarding their list. Saves time and energy.

They have worked with my father enough times in the past and they no longer accept the types of work I would have submitted. So, it was a simple e-mail, no more or no less.

Best to you!

Alexandra

Dorchester Revisited

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and hope y'all don't mind a new thread on Dorchester. I queried a romance for them about a year ago. Their website says it takes 6-8 months to respond to a query and partial. My question is, how does one follow up with them? Their website specifically says that they do not want email follow ups.

Also, do you think i should even bother following up, or should i just take silence as a rejection? Or should i just focus on getting an agent and letting the agent resubmit to Dorchester?

Mainly, i just wanna know how come they didnt respond!!!

thanks, Quill Chick

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    Send them a snail mail with a SASE in it.

State that it's been a full year since you submitted (title) and you are inquiring about its status.

If they pass on it, then at least you'll know and you can query other houses or find an agent.

Hopefully you've been working on your next 2-3 novels since then and honing your craft. If they pass on your query & sample, you can polish both up for the next round.

On my first submission the publisher simply lost it. Considering the amount of material in the average slush pile ...

...that was understandable!

I sent it again, and they lost THAT one. The third query had the editor looking for its arrival--and that worked out. They bought it.

Of course it took a year's time to figure out what had happened. By the third effort of sending in the same material I'd gotten it nice and shiny polished, which might have had something to do with it finally selling!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Gillhoughly; 10-12-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Be prepared for a very...long...wait. It took them 9 months to request a full from a query & three chapters, and that was about a year ago. After about 10 months I inquired after the full, and they responded promptly that it was with the editor, and apologized for the delay. That was a couple of months ago; I'm still waiting.
    Last edited by Julie Worth; 10-12-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Thank you Gilloughly and Julie. I'll report back with updates if any.

Quill Chick

I submitted a partial per the guidelines and was rejected exactly a month from the day I mailed it (1/8/08) (for what the information is worth anyone).

I'm about to hit two years from the initial contact.

I'm about to hit two years from the initial contact.
    Well, I think that because my rejection came so fast they thought I sucked more, so neener.

I met Senior Editor Dan D'Auria of Dorchester at a Western Writers conference. He was very polite and very interested in my work, wanted to see it (after I returned home and sent a formal query). So I asked my agent to send it to him and, after three or four months, queried Don directly. He checked his log while I was on the phone and reported he'd never received the mss.
    (This was one of two reasons why I fired my agent.)
    So I sent Don the full mss (at his request) and checked in with him after a few months. He said he liked the book a lot but planned to read it again before making a decision but in the meantime he was trying to find a spot for it on his list. Very encouraging.
    That was three years ago and I've heard nothing since, nor have my E-mails received answers.
    Go figure.
    Now, I understand Don has been kicked upstairs but you'd think he'd have mentioned something to his replacement.
    Oh, well...

My snail mail query has gone unaswered for four months. Don't know what to think. Maybe I'll try again.

Tri

Quote Originally Posted by Lance0812 View Post
    I met Senior Editor Dan D'Auria of Dorchester at a Western Writers conference. He was very polite and very interested in my work, wanted to see it (after I returned home and sent a formal query). So I asked my agent to send it to him and, after three or four months, queried Don directly. He checked his log while I was on the phone and reported he'd never received the mss.
    (This was one of two reasons why I fired my agent.)
    So I sent Don the full mss (at his request) and checked in with him after a few months. He said he liked the book a lot but planned to read it again before making a decision but in the meantime he was trying to find a spot for it on his list. Very encouraging.
    That was three years ago and I've heard nothing since, nor have my E-mails received answers.
    Go figure.
    Now, I understand Don has been kicked upstairs but you'd think he'd have mentioned something to his replacement.
    Oh, well...

I've had a book with him for three years also. Two and a half, anyway. I guess I should mark it as a rejection.

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast