AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Blushing Books Publications (formerly ABCD Webmasters)

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar

Blushing Books Publications (formerly ABCD Webmasters)

These are spanking story sites owned by ABCD webmasters. I list them as not recommended based on multiple author complaints but wonder if there is anything else on the open internet about their non-payment of authors?

e.g. herwoodshed.com, wickedvelvet.com
    Emily Veinglory

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    FWIW, there's an allusion on Piers Anthony's site re: Wicked Velvet (under Bethany's Group).
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Adding link to home site: http://www.abcdwebmasters.com/newsletters/index.html Front page is SFW, but no guarantees beyond that.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

ABCD is now Blushing Books Publications (http://www.blushingbooks.com/). herwoodshed.com is still up, but wickedvelvet.com, etc. redirect to BBP.
    ICAO
    ---------

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Has anyone published with these folks lately? How are they with:

* timeliness of payment
    * fairness of royalties
    * promotion of your books
    * responsiveness
    * helpfulness to the author throughout the process

figuring it all out

Question Blushing Books: Are they good to work with?

Quote Originally Posted by Listener View Post
    Has anyone published with these folks lately? How are they with:

* timeliness of payment
    * fairness of royalties
    * promotion of your books
    * responsiveness
    * helpfulness to the author throughout the process
    I buy a lot of books from Blushing books publications and was inspired by a series called Corbin's Bend to write my own series. I had planned to submit to that publisher but I'm wondering if authors are not being paid? This is based on earlier comments in this thread. Perhaps the problem mentioned earlier no longer exists?

Have you asked some of the authors? The publisher's Amazon ranks are not great, but it seems to have some brand loyalty in its niche.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

figuring it all out
    Anything to ass after 2015?!

figuring it all out
    I can add that they had another publishing branch called something like Lazy Day publications and from what I have heard on social media, they closed it a bit ago. The authors who had books published in them seems rather upset about how it was handled but did not share the details. I am working on a series to publish with them and am not really concerned about using them. I know that they tend to put out multi author series, so I can't just submit the first and second books in the series to them and see how it goes, I will need to write the whole series first. Maybe they would allow me to retain the series, but its been encouraged by authors who publish with them that I get the whole series at least drafted first.

Like a lot of publications, they have had editors leave. I thought their books were not well edited for a while in 2015 but I think it is really improved. They seem to be weak in content editing but at least the copy edits have much fewer errors. I can't afford a content/developmental editor and have to rely upon Beta's for that. I wish they had a stronger editor for developmental edits for their share of the royalties but again, that may change with a new editor coming on board.

Authors who publish with them are hesitant to say anything critical. Is that because they have nothing negative to say or because they are afraid to say something. I'm going with the evidence I have... nothing to be too concerned about.

figuring it all out
    That was 100% a typo.

Thank you for the info! I think I'm going to submit.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Mack Brinson's Avatar
    I published with Lazy Day, which was bought out by Blushing Books a couple of years ago. I know of at least three purchases of my book (which BB had) in the time since the buyout occurred. BB has not paid one cent. Now, I see that my book is no longer on Amazon. I know of at least one other author who was with Lazy Day at the beginning who has had a similar experience. I'm not a prude, but I find their core business repulsive and wish I'd never gone with LD.

Beware.

figuring it all out
    Mark, Lazy Day is closed. I think you need to pursue getting your rights back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Brinson View Post
    I published with Lazy Day, which was bought out by Blushing Books a couple of years ago. I know of at least three purchases of my book (which BB had) in the time since the buyout occurred. BB has not paid one cent. Now, I see that my book is no longer on Amazon. I know of at least one other author who was with Lazy Day at the beginning who has had a similar experience. I'm not a prude, but I find their core business repulsive and wish I'd never gone with LD.

Thick Skin Pre-Installed Zombie Fraggle's Avatar
    If for no other reason, I wouldn't trust a publisher that still doesn't realize one of their retailers closed up shop two frakkin' months ago.

https://twitter.com/BlushingBooks/st...53610739658752

The goo dot gl link goes to the ARe web page for that specific book, which is now a blank page containing the message, "We are sorry, this site has been taken off-line."

So, nope.

In Time-Out For My Sins
    I was thinking about publishing with them. However, I will pass on them as my BDSM publisher.

Unfortunately, I had a book that was published by Lazy Day. When Blushing Books bought out Lazy Day, mine was among their acquisitions. My book is not erotica of any sort. Since Blushing Books acquired my book, I've not received a cent in royalties, though I've been told by more than one person that they purchased the book from Amazon.
    For awhile, I was on Blushing Book's mailing list as an author. For at least a year I've had on contact.
    My book does not show up in Blushing Book's listings and is no longer listed on Amazon.
    I plan to review the initial contract with Lazy Day and, if there are no legal prohibitions, I will republish the book under a different title.
    Needless to say, I am not a fan of Blushing Books.

I just sent Blushing Books a message, asking why I've never received royalties and requesting a return of all rights.

Yes, I know Lazy Day is out of business. I'm pursuing my rights directly with BB. Thanks.

Add my comments to the "not recommended" stack.

figuring it all out
    They only want books featuring "power exchange" anyway. So despite all the other reasons not to submit there is another one.