Writing Tip: Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpsorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
So last week I was bitching and moaning about this book I read that sucked and that one of the things I found that made it suck was the main character and the fact that I just didn't care about her. Really. I was actually rooting for the bad guys to kill her.

But anyway, that wasn't the only thing I felt was "wrong" about the novel . . . and I use quotes because again, any novel written will never appeal to everyone, so this novel that I hated probably has a whole slew of people who loved it and, if I revealed what the actual book was, would hunt me down and kill me. But it wasn't a book for ME, so I read it and finished it looking for WHY it didn't appeal to me, and one reason was the main character.

But the other reason had much more to do with writing than that. I'm going to call it "form" because I can't find a better word for it, but it has to do with the structure and pace of a novel, and for me, it was all OFF in this novel, as if the book and I were on completely different rhythms at the time. So here's what I think about this elusive thing I'm calling FORM (but which likely has a much better name that I just can't think of):

Form

OK, every book is composed of scenes, all of which are supposed to connect together in a logical sense and move the reader along at a sufficient pace that they don't get bored and move on to a different book. I've already discussed pacing to some extent, but here I'm going to discuss pacing in terms of the ENTIRE BOOK, rather than the pacing of an individual scene, as I did before. I've also already talked about structure in scenes, but here I'm going to allude to the structure of the entire novel again. Both of those--structure and pacing of individual scenes--affect the structure and pacing of the book as a whole, and it's this that I felt destroyed the book I was reading. The structure and pacing of the scenes did NOT meld together well.

Think of it like a rollercoaster ride (which is not an original metaphor, I freely admit). In a novel, you expect to go on this ride, with its ups and downs, spirals and loops, but in the end the ride itself--no matter what strange bumps and twists are involved in the ride--is a SMOOTH ride. If the writer has done their job right anyway. You don't do a steady climb, with a wild, windy drop expected on the other side, reach the top, and then suddenly jolt into lull, as if the coaster track were once again at ground level. Such "discontinuities" in the ride just aren't fun. And they're jarring. Seriously jarring.

In a novel, the rollercoaster track is the lineup of the scenes. All of these scenes have a specific "weight"--meaning that some scenes have a significant effect on the plot or the characters, and some of them have a less significant effect (usually we think of these types of scenes as transition scenes, ones that move us from a significant scene to another significant scene). This disparity in the scene's weight in necessary because emotionally the reader probably can't take hopping from one horribly significant scene to another, and also because the plot can't retain it's logical sense by leaping from major plot point to major plot point. Readers need the less significant scenes so that they can take an emotional breather; and the plot needs the less significant scenes so that there is some logical connective tissue between major plot developments. So we've got scenes of varying weight. The significant scenes are the peaks in the rollercoaster, and the less significant scenes are the lulls or build-ups to those peaks.

When you're writing a novel, you have to put these scenes together in such a way that they form a nice smooth coherent track. You can't have a build-up that leads to a lull. A build-up needs to lead to a peak. Similarly, you can't have a peak that leads to another peak that leads to another peak, etc. What happened in the book I was reading was that the track formed by the scenes in the novel was not smooth. One reason it wasn't smooth was because the scenes themselves weren't laid out to form a smooth track, and the other reason was . . . well, more complicated.

The second idea that goes along with the "weight" of each scene is that when you write, you need to know what type of scene you're currently writing and give it the appropriate weight. If it's a transition scene, you shouldn't be using language that you'd be using for a heavyweight scene. This comes down to the details you use to describe the setting, the extent of the emotional content of the scene for the characters, and the amount of plot involved in the scene. If it's a transition scene, you may be spending more time on the setting and there may not be any indepth character development or plot involved. Whereas a heavyweight scene is probably fraught with deep, dark emotions for the characters and heavy plot twists. In essence, the weight of the scene is dependent on the balance of the three main components of the scene.

What I found so disconcerting about this novel that I felt was horrible was that the balance and the weights of the scenes were all off. I'd be reading a scene and the language the author used would indicate that this is supposed to be a heavyweight scene, that something horribly significant was going to happen . . . but by the end of the scene, nothing happened of any significance and I'd realize that the scene was actually supposed to be lightweight. There were problems in the other direction as well: a scene would seem to be lightweight--just a transition--when suddenly at the end some horribly significant thing would occur and I'd realize that in fact it was a heavyweight scene.

This disparity between lightweight and heavyweight scenes threw me completely off, and in the end was what really ruined the novel for me. Because a bad main character or a plot that wasn't well thought out isn't enough to make me completely hate a novel (or movie--think of all the movies with bad plots or bad acting that you still love) BUT bad writing . . . nothing can save bad writing. And that's what a jolting rollercoaster track and imbalanced scenes are: bad writing.

So, when you write, think about how the scenes in the novel fit together. Do they form a smooth, coherent track? Twists and loops and turns are fine, but they need to flow into one another, to take the reader along for the ride. And ask yourself, for each scene, whether you've given that scene the language and structure to give it the appropriate weight. If it's supposed to be a transition scene, make it lightweight; if it's a major turning point in the novel, it should be heavyweight. Both of these ideas are part of making the structure and the pacing of the novel work for the reader.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Your comments about the writing style reflecting the "weight" of the scene made me think of background music. I hate it in a movie when there's this creepy music and you're expecting something to pop out... and then nothing happens. Or the music is all happy and then suddenly BAM! Not that this can't be used effectively (to catch someone off guard), but the music really is an integral part of the plot/structure of the movie.

So I think you're right in that sense. A scene with greater weight needs to be written a little differently so as not to lead the reader astray.

Also I'm going to be an annoying dork and ask: "What book was it?!"

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Thanks, JP. I think that’s a pretty good assessment.

And I think a lot of writers consider form instinctively as they read through their drafts – it seems to drag here, or it seems a bit rushed there. Sometimes it’s not a matter of the writing, but of form – what came before or what comes after. And sometimes a little rearrangement can do wonders. And sometimes, as you say, it’s a matter of tone. Don’t promise what you’re not going to deliver.

One thing I try to do is to speed up the pace as the book progresses. One breathtaking event after another doesn’t usually work well though an entire book, but it can be really effective as you near the end – and not only if you’re writing some kind of adventure or thriller.

Conventional writing wisdom says to grab the reader by the throat on the very first page, but I’m not so sure that’s the best way. I believe that a slow, steady buildup is a great way to structure a novel. Ease into it gradually, and before they know it, the reader will be turning the pages faster and faster. Of course, it’s a fine line; if it’s too slow, they get bored and stop reading. The trick is to quietly set the stage, but still make it fascinating -- or at the least, interesting. Writers who can pull this off usually become household names.

And this is one area where established writers have a huge advantage. Readers are willing to go along with a quiet beginning, because they have faith that the goods will ultimately be delivered.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
This was well thought-out. Maybe this is one of those things I've discovered while reading where I couldn't quite put my finger on why the story was irritating me ...

Now I'll be keeping this in mind, particularly as I revise.

wee

a_sharp

Somebody give me an A
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thing called "story structure" that I only discovered after writing for ten years. The concept has driven fiction and film for as long as both have existed, and you, JP, basically summarized it in your OP.

I am very sensitive to this because so many writers published and otherwise don't seem to get it. And I'm afraid some editors don't either, which is the only way I can explain why these works show up in print.

Story structure has been written about by many experts, foremost being Robert McKee of Hollywood fame (seminar by same name), but also McDonald, Sexton, and Vogler. Many others talk around the concept with their own twists. Point is, it's no mystery and makes a lot of sense.

One of the main precepts is "escalating conflict," best described graphically by a jagged line ascending over a long period. That up-and-down line describes the breathing of tension in the novel, constantly moving upward toward the climax, but falling off a bit after each climb to make room for the next height. It's simple in concept and doggone hard to do. Certainly my biggest challenge. And it's publicized all over the place.

When it's missing, the reader reacts as you did. Most readers couldn't describe why they book was dissatisfying, because when structure is properly observed, it becomes invisible. You just keep going because the tension pulls you along to the very end.
Thanks for bringing it up. I can almost tell by your description that the writer in your case was clueless about story structure.

Last edited:

lfraser

Bored and Frantic
Registered
Reaction score
Conventional writing wisdom says to grab the reader by the throat on the very first page, but I’m not so sure that’s the best way. I believe that a slow, steady buildup is a great way to structure a novel. Ease into it gradually, and before they know it, the reader will be turning the pages faster and faster. Of course, it’s a fine line; if it’s too slow, they get bored and stop reading. The trick is to quietly set the stage, but still make it fascinating -- or at the least, interesting. Writers who can pull this off usually become household names.

And this is one area where established writers have a huge advantage. Readers are willing to go along with a quiet beginning, because they have faith that the goods will ultimately be delivered.

So true. I'm reading the first two books of Robin Hobb's new series and my first reaction was that it was altogether a different style from her earlier books, much slower to build. At first I thought it was excessively slow, but I'm now almost at the end of the second book and although there haven't been any pyrotechnics I'm so intrigued by the plot and the character that I can't wait for the third book to come out. Yet the story has moved at a languorous pace all the way through. I doubt an unpublished author could get away with this.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of the slow build too. *Something* has to happen on the first page, but it doesn't have to be a dead body or a car crash. Trauma happening to characters I've never met before doesn't grab me.

Hey, I remember reading once something on story structure that suggested a novel have three great climaxes --- the 2nd biggest in the middle, the 3rd biggest 3/4 of the way through and the biggest at the end. I was rather proud of myself when I read that because my novel just turned out to follow that pattern. Do any of you have thoughts on that?

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I think this might be one of my problems. The last reject I got said the pacing was "too choppy."

And I do it on purpose. The way people talk, today's readers all have ADD so I keep throwing tense situations ino the mix. Not exactly superfluous, but definitely done for effect, just to keep it interesting. Let's see, in my current novel I have the character's life in danger like six times before the climax. I wonder if that'll be a problem?

I never thought this would be an issue until now. People like explosions, right? Ah, I don't know. It seems you're either boring the reader or jerking him around too much.

This post explains the problem well. I just wish it offered a fix for it!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Scenes

This strikes me as a good assessment, as well, though I don't even think about scenes when writing. When a novel has multiple POV characters, and many abrupt changes in location, dividing it into block scenes, and using scene breaks, is usually a good idea. I don't, however, think a great many novels should be thought of as being composed of scenes, except as a convenience.

"Scene" is just an easy way of saying "This happens here," but what we often call a "scene" is not always an individual part of the whole.

In other words, I do not believe that all novels are composed of "scenes," except figuratively. Most often, I do my best to write novels wherein each POV character has one long scene. If the novel has only one POV character, I do my best to make the novel one long scene. There will be highs and lows in this scene, there will be a roller coaster effect, but if I do my job correctly, there will be no obvious scene breaks anywhere, except when I change POV, and this will most likely occur at the beginning of a new chapter.

It strikes me that the notion of a novel always being composed of individual scenes is a very modern notion, other than in the figurative sense.

Scothoser

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robbclan.com
This is why I love coming to the boards. ^_^ As an historian, I don't often think of how the story unfolds, just that it did unfold. I'll be looking at my own work, because as I go through it in my head I can see that I have been more interested in the events than how the events play out.

Of course, the nice thing about fiction is the ability to change things around to fit the story. ^_^

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To me, what is basically being spoken about here by the OP is what I regard as the use of scenes and sequels, where say, a scene is followed by a sequel where the protagonist reacts emotionally to what happened in the scene/considers his situation and reaches a decision on what to do next.

Just rushing from action scene to action scene is going to leave everybody breathless.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Just rushing from action scene to action scene is going to leave everybody breathless.

So, then, having a ridiculous amount of action scenes in itself isn't bad, as long as there's time to breathe between them?

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
So, then, having a ridiculous amount of action scenes in itself isn't bad, as long as there's time to breathe between them?

I think you answered your own question with "ridiculous amount." If it's ridiculous, no.

There needs to be action, and there's nothing wrong with a fast-paced novel, but if the entire thing is CRASH! BANG! ZOOM! KAPOW! ... Meh, maybe comics are what you're looking for. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.