• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Snowbooks, Ltd.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
gothicangel:
A great publisher has taken time out of a hectic schedule to address concerns. She should be thanked, not receiving snark. And no, she doesn't look like a schmuck to me, just a busy business woman who was kind enough to pop in [and make an extensive post.]

Emma came here and said that the Thread (not an individual poster but the thread) was making allegations about her company. It wasn't. Almost all of this thread supports her company. Notwithstanding that it's a great publisher (and for what it's worth, I'm satisfied that they're legit and respected), I don't believe that it's making a "fuss" to correct that. I get why a publisher would want to come here and defend themselves, but if they're going to do that then they should make sure they've got their facts right first because otherwise they do look like a schmuck.

MM

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Emma came here and said that the Thread (not an individual poster but the thread) was making allegations about her company. It wasn't. Almost all of this thread supports her company. Notwithstanding that it's a great publisher (and for what it's worth, I'm satisfied that they're legit and respected), I don't believe that it's making a "fuss" to correct that. I get why a publisher would want to come here and defend themselves, but if they're going to do that then they should make sure they've got their facts right first because otherwise they do look like a schmuck.

MM

Five pages and one hundred and twenty eight postings might be a lot to read for a busy publisher to obtain context.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you want to comment on the thread ("And now this current thread suggests, essentially, that our company is a front for selling editing and other services") you need to read the thread. Otherwise you can just comment on the specific piece of misinformation.

Basically the thread says:
They referred me to a fee-charging editing service.
They own it.
Actually they don't.
And they don't do that (any more).
Because writers don't take kindly to it.

Like many forum threads it was self-correcting.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Saskatoonistan:
Five pages and one hundred and twenty eight postings might be a lot to read for a busy publisher to obtain context.

Well personally I don't think 5 pages is too much to get the gist, but hey, I'd settle for reading the page she posted on. Practically every post before hers on page 5 (including your own) said that Snowbooks didn't own an editing service or refer people to an editing service.

MM

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I know Emma and can vouch for her: I hope that counts for something after all the years I've been here. She's a fine woman, and runs a fine publishing house; and analysing her comment like this feels just a little negative-for-the-sake-of-it to me.

Let's move this conversation on now, please.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
But it's so much easier to blog about how we're picking on her.

I don't read anything in her blog posting suggesting that Snowbooks is being picked on and mea culpa time: I know Emma Barnes and I've worked closely with her team for more than two years. She's a classy lady who works her tail off for her authors. Is Snowbooks perfect? Nope. Are mistakes made at times? Absolutely. But it's a solid little publishing house with a slew of talented authors and fantastic books.

Its interesting to me how on AW, things can get really snarky. I've thrown in my own snark in on more than one occasion because there seems to be a tendency to want to dogpile on anyone who might be perceived as running a scam. That's a quality I dislike in myself and I've tried to correct.

If I come across as a bit of jerk for posting this, my apologies. I'm naturally a bit defensive when it comes to Snowbooks because I'm published by them.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
If I come across as a bit of jerk for posting this, my apologies. I'm naturally a bit defensive when it comes to Snowbooks because I'm published by them.

You've done nothing to justify being called a jerk. To the contrary, you acting incredilbly professional.

Your right though, the snark will give AW a bad reputation. Publishing is a small industry, everyone really does talk to everyone.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Saskatoonistan:
Its interesting to me how on AW, things can get really snarky. I've thrown in my own snark in on more than one occasion because there seems to be a tendency to want to dogpile on anyone who might be perceived as running a scam. That's a quality I dislike in myself and I've tried to correct.

Yeah but no one complains about the snark on threads about publishers known to be or suspected to be bad for authors.

If people don't want to snark, then don't snark. I don't have an issue with that.

However I don't like applying double-standards for publishers on this Forum and regardless of who's friends with who, who's published by who - any publisher on any thread who posted in the same tone as Emma would have got the same response from me. If you don't like it, put me on ignore.

gothicangel:
Your right though, the snark will give AW a bad reputation. Publishing is a small industry, everyone really does talk to everyone.

As for AW getting a bad reputation. Please. That's the type of comment I usually only see from scam publishers and bad agents who usually follow it up with a "you'll be blackballed" threat. Anyone in publishing who wants to talk about what people on an internet site are saying about them has way too much time on their hands.

Now, like Old Hack requested, maybe we should all move on, hmm?

MM

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I also agree Snowbooks is a fine publisher. But I feel because more people know the principle personally she is allowed to characterise this thread as something it isn't and get backed up and amplified, and any moderating comments denigrated as 'snark'. This thread is to discuss facts, and test them, and even makes mistakes but then correct them. The discussion continues for as long as people have experiences to relate, questions to ask or comments to make. We don't just reach some kind of consensus as to whether we 'like' them or not.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, actually.

It's unfortunate that Emma overlooked the effort on her behalf. One can hope someone close to her has asked her to return to address it. Perhaps she won't regardless. In any case, I don't see the point of grumbling at each other over it. She's said what she said and has to live with her words, same as us.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
As for AW getting a bad reputation. Please. That's the type of comment I usually only see from scam publishers and bad agents who usually follow it up with a "you'll be blackballed" threat. Anyone in publishing who wants to talk about what people on an internet site are saying about them has way too much time on their hands.

Sorry, but I'm trying to build a career in publishing, I don't want my name black-balled before I've even applied for a graduate scheme.

So lets drop it before a good thread gets locked.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The "think of your reputation!" card doesn't play well due to contextual irony. In short -- interpersonal sniping aside -- the mud ain't on AW, and notions of blacklisting are theatrical.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
The "think of your reputation!" card doesn't play well due to contextual irony. In short -- interpersonal sniping aside -- the mud ain't on AW, and notions of blacklisting are theatrical.

I'm quite naive to that then. It wasn't meant to be theatrical, just a genuine concern that the people I want to hire me are members of AW.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I'm quite naive to that then. It wasn't meant to be theatrical, just a genuine concern that the people I want to hire me are members of AW.

Unless you're signing your manuscript as gothic angel or your e-mail address is gothicangel(at)yahoo.com don't worry about it. And if your e-mail is [email protected], it's a long shot that any one who is going to hire you is going to recognize it.

Scalzi just did a blog post about the "YA mafia" which has points that could be applied to your concern:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/03/04/dear-new-writer-im-sorry-i-dont-have-time-to-crush-you/

Besides good writing trumps all :D

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The people who are bragging about putting Momento Mori on "ignore" are doing themselves a disservice--MM is one of the most informative posters here.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The people who are bragging about putting Momento Mori on "ignore" are doing themselves a disservice--MM is one of the most informative posters here.

I agree. Now, I think, it's time to move on. For all of us. Thank you in advance, everyone.

Jamiekswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Hi Emma,

Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. Can you give a projected lead time on submissions? Is 6 months a good window and if we haven't heard from you after 6 months to nudge? Thanks :D -- Jamie

Just wanted to bump my question so it didn't get lost in the debate. If this isn't good to do, I can delete this post.

Brindle MacWuff

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to bump my question so it didn't get lost in the debate. If this isn't good to do, I can delete this post.

Hmm, 6 months! I could write a book in that time. Just out of interest, dear Jamiekswriter, how long have you been waiting? I'm up to 3 months so far, and no rejection.

Although I have noticed snipers on the rooftops. I would have preferred email.

Last edited:

Jamiekswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Oh LOL not long at all. Less than a month. I was just curious. Good luck Brindle! I hope we both hear good news soon.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I’m in a bit of a quandary regarding Snowbooks, especially in light of Emma’s recent vigorous defense of her company over here on AW. I know they’ve enjoyed a very good reputation over the years, so it grieves me to say that over the past year, I’ve developed some serious reservations about them.

In December of 2009 I sold the UK rights to The Writer’s Essential Tackle Box to Snowbooks, where it was released in May 2010. I did so based on the wonderful things I'd heard about their company. I’d been told they had great distribution in the UK and had a distribution agreement with Consortium to cover the US and Canadian markets (which was not a factor for my book since I was only selling the UK rights).

On January 6 of this year, I wrote Emma to inquire about royalty statements, since it had been eight months since its release and I’d had no contact whatsoever. She wrote back to say that statements were being finalized. (This proved to be puzzling because I talked to an author who was paid his royalty check in December, 2010)

A full month passed with no royalty statement. I wrote to Emma again on Feb. 8, asking again about my royalty statement and royalty check. She replied that statements had been sent out. I never received mine, so she looked in the system and discovered my statement wasn't in the system. Ok, no problem. Crap happens. She subsequently sent my royalty statement as an email attachment and, at that time, asked if a check would be ok. I replied this was fine.

Another month passed, and I hadn’t heard or received anything. So on March 8, I emailed Emma once again, inquiring about my royalty check. Nothing.

I wrote again on March 20, my fourth request, and urged her to contact me with information regarding my royalty check. I have yet to hear from her.

Officially alarmed and adequately peeved, I began to ask around because in my experience when a publisher stops corresponding with their authors, it’s a possible sign of financial trouble. So in asking around, I discovered that I am not alone with no correspondence and no royalty check. Some did finally get paid, but not without their agents’ intervening quite strenuously. Others, like me, are still waiting.

Sometime in 2010, Snowbooks severed their ties with Consortium, and this left a huge hole in distribution for US and Canadian authors. I talked with a couple authors whose books had never been distributed to their own countries.

This makes promotion in the author’s country nearly impossible, not to mention heartbreaking. Will those books be shelved in UK bookstores, or are these foreign authors orphaned before they ever get out of production? This is the kind of stuff that adversely affects non UK authors, yet no one is talking about it.

There are other concerns that hint strongly to financial difficulties, but I don’t have permission from the authors to divulge those details. Suffice it to say that it’s consistent with a problem with insufficient operating capital.

My reason for posting this isn’t to publicize a personal grievance because I’ve decided there is little choice but to move on with respect to the UK release of my book. Rather, I want to alert readers to the fact that, for the past year, there has been a problem at Snowbooks.

If I chose to keep quiet, then who else might experience the same fate as I and other Snowbook authors? My intent is to pass along what I know so authors have the ability to make informed decisions based on hearing all sides of the problem.

It is my sincerest hope that whatever is plaguing Snowbooks is worked out very soon. Until then, I remain extremely disappointed.

Last edited: