• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Snowbooks, Ltd.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm suggesting that Snowbooks runs a fee-based editing service. The link I posted is an editing service run by the owner of snowbooks.

You're wrong. Snowbooks is owned and run by Emma Barnes and Rob someone or other. The site you linked to belongs to Anna Torborg, who does freelance work for Snowbooks.

From her bio on the site you linked to:

I moved back to the US, and in 2007 I became freelance. I'm still associated with Snowbooks as a contractor, but the flexibility of being freelance allows me to take on other projects, as well. I truly love what I do, and I honestly believe that the services I provide make a difference to those on the receiving end -- and their audiences. These day, when I go into a book shop, I realize that I am somebody who makes those covers. And it sort of blows my mind.

Last edited:

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
I'm suggesting that Snowbooks runs a fee-based editing service. The link I posted is an editing service run by the owner of snowbooks.

Ditto on what Old Hack said: Snowbooks is Emma Barnes and Rob Jones. Anna Torborg, who did all my cover art, designed my website and designed the website for my little effort to save publishing free of charge, btw, set up her own freelance biz last year. It's completely separate of Snowbooks.

Trust me, Snowbooks is 100% legitimate.

Saskatoonistan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Lmiller111 (ETA: Or anyone else who got the referral), is Anna Torborg's site the one that was given as a suggested editor on Snowbooks rejections? If so I could see where the conflict might still exist.

Anna doesn't do any editing. She proofreads and reviews manuscripts, but that's it. Her website doesn't offer up any kind of editing service at all.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I'd still like to know what editing service Snowbooks is referring its rejects to.

Why are you making such an issue about this? Did you miss this post?

Keep in mind that in the UK professional editors don't bear nearly the stigma they do in the U.S. As long as there's no pressure to use the one named, it's fairly common advice.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
Why are you making such an issue about this? Did you miss this post?

Um, Terie, I hardly think asking something twice is "making such an issue" about something. I also don't think that the unbacked comment by one person is enough to quell my concern.

While I have heard of UK agents suggesting editorial services, I've never heard of a publisher (uk or otherwise) making such a recommendation. I could be wrong, of course, but if it's so common, please give me some examples of reputable publishers that do this.

I've been rejected (and many people from my writers group have been rejected) by several Uk agents, and we've all received the "recommendation" that we contact one of two editorial services (it's always the same two in our experience). We've also been rejected by several UK publishers and have never been referred to freelance editors by any of them.

Also, Snowbooks is a very small publisher and if they're referring people to private editorial services provided by people in their employ (even if on a contractor basis), it would absolutely be a conflict. ETA: I'm not saying they are doing that, but that's why I asked, so I could look into it.

Last edited:

Saskatoonistan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Also, Snowbooks is a very small publisher and if they're referring people to private editorial services provided by people in their employ (even if on a contractor basis), it would absolutely be a conflict. ETA: I'm not saying they are doing that, but that's why I asked, so I could look into it.

I would be shocked and amazed if Snowbooks was in any kind of conflict of interest. They're an award winning publisher. Emma Barnes is a class act.

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
The only thing that irked me about them is that they send the name of a professional editing company with their rejection letters. Not a big deal, just a bit annoying.

Now I'm wondering about this. I just noticed that it was a few years ago, so maybe it's a thing they did but no longer do? Either way, it's a moot point since they don't do it anymore, and perhaps haven't done it for years (if they ever did it).

Saskatoonistan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Now I'm wondering about this. I just noticed that it was a few years ago, so maybe it's a thing they did but no longer do? Either way, it's a moot point since they don't do it anymore, and perhaps haven't done it for years (if they ever did it).

You could always ask it in the comment section of their blog post, but I suspect they've never done it.

Snowbooks

Registered
Reaction score
'ello 'ello,

Emma from Snowbooks here. Any questions you'd like to ask me, ask me directly
here and I'll reply, or on our blog.

The discussion here is one of the reasons why we stopped giving feedback to
rejected authors. For a few months, years ago, we suggested to authors whose
manuscripts we really felt needed a lot of work that they might do worse than
to get someone to look it over. I can't remember the name of the literary
agency we suggested, but I'd met the woman who ran it, liked her and included
her company with the intention of pointing authors in the right direction.
Snowbooks, its directors and its staff had no financial or personal or any
other type of connection with her.

The feedback was immediate and outraged. Why would Snowbooks lure unsuspecting
authors into submitting their books, only to be marketed to? OK, we thought,
if that's how you're going to interpret an attempt to help, we won't bother.
So we stopped providing any sort of feedback, ideas for next steps and so on.

And now this current thread suggests, essentially, that our company is a front
for selling editing and other services. I will bite my tongue, for the most
part. We are a regular, well-thought-of, award winning, established publisher
of trade fiction and non-fiction. We work extremely hard to publish authors'
work, and publish it well. We're the sort of company authors need more of. So
it's disheartening to see you leaping to wrong conclusions.

We have always undertaken cover design work for other publishers, and
occasionally authors who have chosen the self-publish route. And if you know
anything at all about trade publishing, you'll know that it's extremely
competitive and hard to make a living in. So as individuals, we freelance to
supplement our income. I work under the Snowangels brand (www.snowangels.org)
and provide data and design services - ONIX XML, catalogues, websites etc.
Anna trades under her own name, as you've seen. If you really take exception
to that - to us working two jobs so that we can keep our precious Snowbooks
alive and kicking - then, well, the market will lose an independent trade
publisher and you'll lose a possible publishing deal. And that'll be twenty or
so authors a year who won't get published.

We don't market our services to authors. We work with people who come to us,
to ask for our services. We don't make any mention at all in our rejection
emails of the services we offer as individuals.

As I say, please address any further questions to me directly, on this forum
or on our blog, or by email to [email protected].

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Snowbooks:
And now this current thread suggests, essentially, that our company is a front
for selling editing and other services. I will bite my tongue, for the most
part.

Erm, not quite. One poster suggested it as being current practice, other posters quickly refuted it.

Snowbooks:
We are a regular, well-thought-of, award winning, established publisher of trade fiction and non-fiction. We work extremely hard to publish authors' work, and publish it well.

If you read through the thread you'll see many posters making both these points and in fact being very supportive of Snowbooks as an example of a good publisher. In fact a number of posters here have been published by Snowbooks or have friends who have been published by Snowbooks. "Exceptional" and "first class" are just some of the comments bandied around.

MM

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Emma.

I don't blame you for coming on here to defend Snowbooks, if it was my publishing company I would have done exactly the same.

Snowbooks are a great publisher, one I am considering submitting to.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Hi Emma,

Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. Can you give a projected lead time on submissions? Is 6 months a good window and if we haven't heard from you after 6 months to nudge? Thanks :D -- Jamie

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
gothicangel:
I don't blame you for coming on here to defend Snowbooks, if it was my publishing company I would have done exactly the same.

I don't blame a publisher for wanting to come and set the record straight, but if you're going to do that then at least have the decency to acknowledge that most of the posters here were actually defending your company and pointing out that the original accusation was not correct.

99% of the comments on this thread are strongly supportive of Snowbooks. Failing or refusing to acknowledge that makes you risk looking like a schmuck.

MM

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't blame a publisher for wanting to come and set the record straight, but if you're going to do that then at least have the decency to acknowledge that most of the posters here were actually defending your company and pointing out that the original accusation was not correct.

99% of the comments on this thread are strongly supportive of Snowbooks. Failing or refusing to acknowledge that makes you risk looking like a schmuck.

MM

I don't see the point of creating such a fuss.

A great publisher has taken time out of a hectic schedule to address concerns. She should be thanked, not receiving snark. And no, she doesn't look like a schmuck to me, just a busy business woman who was kind enough to pop in [and make an extensive post.]