The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: [Publisher] Snowbooks, Ltd.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Wow. I'm another one who dodged a bullet. They looked pretty good when I submitted.

Have they been reported to P&E?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Point taken Old Hack, but does that apply to all so-called 'self-publishing' companies, or just FeedARead?

Quote Originally Posted by aquinas01 View Post
    Point taken Old Hack, but does that apply to all so-called 'self-publishing' companies, or just FeedARead?
    Pretty much. The general rule is that if you are paying to be published and the publishing company is taking a cut of the profits and/or using your money to subsidize production, then it's vanity publishing.

Self-publishing would be going through a printing company (like Lightning Source, I believe) and paying for everything yourself--on-line, this would mean getting your own cover, hiring your own editor/copy editor, and putting your work on all the available sites (Amazon, Smashwords, etc.), among other things. Everything is on your shoulders.

Thanks, Thedrellum. It was just something I was thinking of doing if all else failed. I'd like to see my novel in print, after all, which I suppose is indeed rather vain, albeit harmless enough.

It's a pity about Snowbooks, though. I thought they were on to something good, until I read some of the more recent comments on this thread...

space opera-popcorn lover!
    Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
    Just reviving the thread to see if there's any update on Snowbooks. A writing friend has some interest from them, and just wondered what the current thoughts on the status was?

Www. Jozebedee.com
    @joz1812 - Twitter

Abendau's Heir - Inish Carraig - Sunset Over Abendau

Banned
    Тhe steps to making a decision are well known:

1. Are the covers better than the average self-published such?
    2. Is the editing better than the average self-published such? (free samples should suffice to see that)
    3. Do the already published books in the potential author's genre hold good sales ranks on Amazon?
    4. Do the already published books in the potential author's genre have a lot of positive and authentic-sounding reviews?
    5. Is the contract fair?
    6. Are there any complaints online by authors who feel they have been treated unfairly?

Points 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 will take about half an hour of research to check out, while 5 probably needs actual email communication; the cumulative result should point to a yea or nay answer.

Unless all that matters is having one's book published by a 'real' indie publisher--a valid enough psychological state--in which case only the contract matters, and the possible unfair play.

An additional point--which may or may not matter--is the publisher a one-person operation or not? Sometimes one-person operations suddenly collapse when personal emergency strikes, and everything else stops being important, including you the author and your book. A larger organization can have members struck by individual emergencies yet still function. On the other hand many great agents are one-person operations, so this one is more an issue to be decided by intuition. If the one-person operation has been around, without major scandal, even with some success stories, for a number of years, could be OK. Unless the person in question is by now 90.
    Last edited by Re-modernist; 09-23-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks for that - and all that is being done, of course. But that's where Bewares and Recs is so good as an additional source of info - because if someone has had dealings with the publisher they can give information over and above what I (or my writing friend) can research - (and do for any publisher I deal with).
    Last edited by Jo Zebedee; 09-23-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Www. Jozebedee.com
    @joz1812 - Twitter

Banned
    There's some unhappy feedback on the previous page of this thread; maybe attempt contact on friend's behalf with the posters

Yes, I might do that if no one comes back to me on the thread.

Www. Jozebedee.com
    @joz1812 - Twitter

Hello. Emma, from Snowbooks, here. You're always welcome to ask us questions directly. My email is emma@snowbooks.com.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I wasn't at FantasyCon but I believe Snow Books launched some titles there so they appear to be back on the rails.

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Dawn Douglas's Avatar
    Does anyone have an update on Snow Books? Any recent experiences?

I got a rejection from them yesterday for a novel subbed at the beginning of August last year.

They now charge a nominal submission fee for all submissions.

Many legit publishing companies do now.

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    No.

Legit publishing companies do NOT charge a nominal fee for anything. Legitimate publishing pays you.

Reading fees, submission fees, "partnership publishing", etc. -- none of these are things legitimate publishers do.

If it violates Yog's Law, it violates Yog's Law and should be avoided.

IF the publisher isn't making money off of their readers, they shouldn't be publishing.

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Douglas View Post
    Many legit publishing companies do now.
    Names, please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
    No.

Legit publishing companies do NOT charge a nominal fee for anything. Legitimate publishing pays you.

Reading fees, submission fees, "partnership publishing", etc. -- none of these are things legitimate publishers do.

If it violates Yog's Law, it violates Yog's Law and should be avoided.

IF the publisher isn't making money off of their readers, they shouldn't be publishing.
    Yep.

There is no question over their legitimacy. They distribute into Waterstones, the only major chain of bookstores in the UK, and I have bought their books. If the nominal fee puts you off subbing then that is your business. It did not deter me.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    For those who haven't clicked through, the fee (£2) is for their using Submittable, which they justify thusly: "This is in part to avoid having to upgrade to an expensive license for the submissions platform we use, but also to require you to jump a small hurdle to submit your work."

The money goes to Submittable, not the client, but it's still down to the writer's tolerance for subsidizing operational expenses.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I've submitted to many publishers using Submittable and there's usually a small fee, the equivalent of 3 US dollars.

I've used Submittable several times and never paid a fee.

I guess it depends on my perception of the publisher involved, if I want to pay their entry fees. It's not that different from figuring in the cost of snail mail entries. *However* I will say this: publications and agents who require paper copy entries are now way down on my list from those who allow email or digital form entry.

A closer analogy might be art contests. I'll happily pay their entry fees as long as those aren't too high, and the contest is reputable with worthwhile prizes. But when fees go too high, I back away until they can prove good reasons for the hike.

I have no horse in this particular race, since I'm unlikely to write anything Snowbooks might want.
    Last edited by Filigree; 04-23-2017 at 10:06 PM.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

I realise two quid is neither here nor there, but I've never had to pay to use Submittable either.
    Facebook Twitter Website

You donít have to believe in something to bump into it in a dark alley.

I realise two quid is neither here nor there, but I've never had to pay to use Submittable either.
    Facebook Twitter Website

Some publishers factor the cost of Submittable into their business expenses, and so don't charge. One SFF magazine only accepts a certain number of submissions a month in order to keep the Submittable fee something they can afford.

Oh okay - I think I'd be a bit wary of a publisher who couldn't afford a business expense that small, in all honesty. I know it adds up if they're getting thousands of subs, but still...
    Facebook Twitter Website

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast