• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Schiavone Literary Agency (James Schiavone)

Legionsynch

Registered
Reaction score
Any information on Jennifer DuVall at Schiavone Literary? I did a search, didn't find anything, and P&E only says that they're an agency (sadly, no recommendation).

sfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
So far so good...

I e-queried Jim Schiavone about 630am last Monday about a huge historical fiction ms (185,750 words) and he telephoned me 2.5 hours later. We talked for 25 minutes and he requested the full ms by email. He warned me that the ms was rather large for the current economy but he still wanted to see it.

Yes, I was thrilled to the point I had trouble working at my day job until quitting time.

I hope to hell he likes the ms as much as he liked the query!

Caveat: I think it helped that I am a published author and my (only) novel is still selling well on Amazon. The paperback version just came out and I think that's why sales are up.

But I think they are looking for people who have already seen print - that's just a "feeling" thing with nothing but intuition to back it up.
SC

Geosteph

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know if Jennifer Duvall accepts email? On Publishers Marketplace it says it's encouraged. On her Agent Query profile it says she doesn't.

Thanks!

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Anyone know if Jennifer Duvall accepts email? On Publishers Marketplace it says it's encouraged. On her Agent Query profile it says she doesn't.

Thanks!

Yes, she does. I e-queried her on 2/21 and she rejected me 3/1.

Anahid21

Registered
Reaction score
Anything new about Kevin McAdams? I'm considering querying him for a YA fantasy but the more I search about him the less I find. The Page at Publishers Marketplace has information on his boss James Schiavone who doesn't represent this kind of material. Should I withhold querying Kevin because of his lack of Internet presence?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
According to his AQ page he's "particularly interested in celebrity biography and entertainment". Frankly, unless you can find YA sales for him (or any sales at all, for that matter), he doesn't look like a good prospect.

Sarah Christine

I think you can do better.
Registered
Reaction score
Where did the floor go? (This is not an existentia
Just thought I'd answer my own question for future searchers. I rec'd an R in the mail today that was a pretty standard slip of paper, but it specifically said, "Based on your email query we have decided not to pursue representation." (emphasis added)

I guess I'm a little baffled, unless a 'no' once is a 'no' for all time.

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
This is from their PM page:

"NOTICE: We are currently giving priority to authors published by major houses."

Kinda says it all.

Sarah Christine

I think you can do better.
Registered
Reaction score
Where did the floor go? (This is not an existentia
But not what I was looking for. Priority isn't exclusively, after all, and we in query hell have to have hope, right? ;)

I just wanted to know if no response was considered an R. Their PM also says, "For fastest response (usually same day or next day) one page email queries are acceptable and encouraged."

charlys

new author
Registered
Reaction score
But not what I was looking for. Priority isn't exclusively, after all, and we in query hell have to have hope, right? ;)

I just wanted to know if no response was considered an R. Their PM also says, "For fastest response (usually same day or next day) one page email queries are acceptable and encouraged."

Hi, Sarah,
I e-mailed Jennifer Duvall on 9/26/09 with just a one-page query. She never responded. Guess maybe that means no?

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Sarah,
I e-mailed Jennifer Duvall on 9/26/09 with just a one-page query. She never responded. Guess maybe that means no?

She never replied to me either..groan! On their Publishers Marketplace page it does say: There is a 99% rejection rate for all queries received.

So I guess they just don't bother replying, either with a form R. Alas.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
James Schiavone

I sent a query to another agent at that agency, and I expected a rejection. They do post that they have a 99% rejection rate. What surprised me was that the rejection didn't come in a form letter. Instead it was a one sentence reply, and it was not signed. For an agency that touts professionalism, I think the least they can do is copy and paste a form rejection in an email. I, afterall, took the time to write an entire letter. A name would have been nice, too, to know who was rejecting my query.

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found sales for anyone at this agency other than James Schavione? I realize not all agencies post to publisher's marketplace, but I'm having trouble getting a handle on this agency.

VickCorren

Registered
Reaction score
I queried James Schiavone about three days ago, got a request for a full the next day. I'm a new author, unpublished. So keep at it, all!

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query sent

Sent a query to Dr. Schiavone this evening. From what I've read, his response time is rather quick. I will post back when I have heard back from them.
Bryan