The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schiavone Literary Agency (James Schiavone)

practical experience, FTW Legionsynch's Avatar

Schiavone Literary Agency (James Schiavone)

Any information on Jennifer DuVall at Schiavone Literary? I did a search, didn't find anything, and P&E only says that they're an agency (sadly, no recommendation).
    My writing goals:

Witch Eyes: 1 offer of representation. (2 requests still pending)

A Love Lost Like Secrets Unseen - My Writing Blog

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/profschia/

I have a query outstanding to another agent at this agency

Living in the backstory Cav Guy's Avatar
    Has anyone heard anything else about these guys?
    Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
    Any updates or personal experiences with these folks?
    Thanks,
    Mark

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Post So far so good...

I e-queried Jim Schiavone about 630am last Monday about a huge historical fiction ms (185,750 words) and he telephoned me 2.5 hours later. We talked for 25 minutes and he requested the full ms by email. He warned me that the ms was rather large for the current economy but he still wanted to see it.

Yes, I was thrilled to the point I had trouble working at my day job until quitting time.

I hope to hell he likes the ms as much as he liked the query!

Caveat: I think it helped that I am a published author and my (only) novel is still selling well on Amazon. The paperback version just came out and I think that's why sales are up.

But I think they are looking for people who have already seen print - that's just a "feeling" thing with nothing but intuition to back it up.
    SC

| Blog | Twitter |

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right. ~The Book Thief

WIPs:

Weredragon - revisions

Currently Reading:
    Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Horserider View Post
    Well, you can see he hasn't had a single reply logged from him. Everything is closed No Response. Maybe he just doesn't answer people who use QueryTracker?

Anyone know if Jennifer Duvall accepts email? On Publishers Marketplace it says it's encouraged. On her Agent Query profile it says she doesn't.

Thanks!

Listening to my other selves Erin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geosteph View Post
    Anyone know if Jennifer Duvall accepts email? On Publishers Marketplace it says it's encouraged. On her Agent Query profile it says she doesn't.

Thanks!
    Yes, she does. I e-queried her on 2/21 and she rejected me 3/1.
    DRAGONFLY NIGHTMARE: YA Romantic Suspense - Available Now!
    VIGILANTE NIGHTS: YA Suspense - (Merit Press/F+W Media).

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Want to keep up with my latest news and releases? Subscribe to my Newsletter for FREE eBook, exclusive subscriber only content and giveaways!

Thanks Erin!

practical experience, FTW Anahid21's Avatar
    Anything new about Kevin McAdams? I'm considering querying him for a YA fantasy but the more I search about him the less I find. The Page at Publishers Marketplace has information on his boss James Schiavone who doesn't represent this kind of material. Should I withhold querying Kevin because of his lack of Internet presence?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    According to his AQ page he's "particularly interested in celebrity biography and entertainment". Frankly, unless you can find YA sales for him (or any sales at all, for that matter), he doesn't look like a good prospect.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

I think you can do better. Sarah Christine's Avatar
    Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
    Bump for any recent experience and response times for Jennifer Duvall? I sent an equery back in late June/early July, never heard a response, and then sent a snail mail query about four weeks ago. Does a no response mean no?
    Scar: Trunked ftw.
    WatW: Trunked also ftw.
    WIP: FINISHED130k (I hate epics.)

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

Just thought I'd answer my own question for future searchers. I rec'd an R in the mail today that was a pretty standard slip of paper, but it specifically said, "Based on your email query we have decided not to pursue representation." (emphasis added)

I guess I'm a little baffled, unless a 'no' once is a 'no' for all time.

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

This is from their PM page:

"NOTICE: We are currently giving priority to authors published by major houses."

Kinda says it all.

But not what I was looking for. Priority isn't exclusively, after all, and we in query hell have to have hope, right?

I just wanted to know if no response was considered an R. Their PM also says, "For fastest response (usually same day or next day) one page email queries are acceptable and encouraged."

new author

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Christine View Post
    But not what I was looking for. Priority isn't exclusively, after all, and we in query hell have to have hope, right?

I just wanted to know if no response was considered an R. Their PM also says, "For fastest response (usually same day or next day) one page email queries are acceptable and encouraged."
    Hi, Sarah,
    I e-mailed Jennifer Duvall on 9/26/09 with just a one-page query. She never responded. Guess maybe that means no?

Paranormal Princess ChrryBlssmGrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by charlys View Post
    Hi, Sarah,
    I e-mailed Jennifer Duvall on 9/26/09 with just a one-page query. She never responded. Guess maybe that means no?
    She never replied to me either..groan! On their Publishers Marketplace page it does say: There is a 99% rejection rate for all queries received.

So I guess they just don't bother replying, either with a form R. Alas.

Current Status: Had a baby in August and trying to finish a PhD. Not getting too much writing done at the minute...but I'm trying

James Schiavone

I sent a query to another agent at that agency, and I expected a rejection. They do post that they have a 99% rejection rate. What surprised me was that the rejection didn't come in a form letter. Instead it was a one sentence reply, and it was not signed. For an agency that touts professionalism, I think the least they can do is copy and paste a form rejection in an email. I, afterall, took the time to write an entire letter. A name would have been nice, too, to know who was rejecting my query.

here and there again
    Has anyone ever found sales for anyone at this agency other than James Schavione? I realize not all agencies post to publisher's marketplace, but I'm having trouble getting a handle on this agency.

I queried James Schiavone about three days ago, got a request for a full the next day. I'm a new author, unpublished. So keep at it, all!

I was looking into this agency and found this: http://schiavoneliteraryagencyinc.bl...responses.html

Not sure if this is hopeful thinking, or the routine.

Is Jennifer DuVall still an agent with Schiavone? Her email address (jendu77@aol.com) just bounced twice.

practical experience, FTW pavtbr's Avatar

Query sent

Sent a query to Dr. Schiavone this evening. From what I've read, his response time is rather quick. I will post back when I have heard back from them.
    Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast