Rights returned.

Curiouser

Registered
Reaction score
About a week ago I received a letter via snail mail from PA informing me that they are discontinuing publication of my book as per my request for termination of my contract and that all rights under the copyright are returned to me.
I wrote two extremely polite letters to get to this stage merely pointing out that sales had been low and that I would like to offer it to other publishers and would they consider releasing me from the contract. They sent back a polite reply saying that they might grant the request and asking whether I might find changing the contract to non-exclusive useful or not. I replied thanking them for their suggestion but asking still to be fully released.
I sent the original email on the 12th of July. Their release letter to me is dated July 17th although I did not recieve it until the second week in August owing to the fact that according to the 1.08.07 postmark it came here via Cairo!
To say that I am pleased with this outcome and the manner in which it came about is an understatement!

Tina

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It sounds like you handled it beautifully. Well done and welcome!

Curiouser

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Well thank you all for your joy at my release -- now the party -- and the publishing - - - really starts!!

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
What is interesting is that they suggested that it could be non exclusive. Did they also give you the option to terminate at any moment?

If that had been the situation with us, we might have left ours with PA. Our agent wanted to offer the manuscript to others - mostly overseas - but could not do so unless we could guarantee that we coudl get the rights back when we needed them. As PA was so unreasonable, we had to simply get the rights back completely.

* Note that I am not saying anything nice about PA, nor am I recommending them! * But this might be a step in the direction of instituting some reasonable policies, instead of the ones which we experienced!

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust PA on a stack of bibles...non-exclusive would amount to another grab-fest to them.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I wouldn't trust PA on a stack of bibles...non-exclusive would amount to another grab-fest to them.

You're probably right. It's just interesting that they're being conciliatory instead of combative. It's a very different approach.

I'd love to see a thread showing, in a concentrated form, the form letter correspondence that people have received from PA. I think that would be helpful - to demonstrate not just the nonsense, but the intimidation tactics which they have been using.

Blake M. Petit

Geek Pundit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.evertimerealms.com
This is the most encouraging thing I've read since I got here. I'm in the same situation.

I sent them a polite letter via (registered) snail mail back in May, but I've yet to get a reply. Time to send another.

SLThomas

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you!

What's interesting is that PA seems to choose which contracts to cancel. Some do send polite requests to be terminated and they're refused, others are accepted.

I wonder what's their criteria?

Anyways, this must be a reason to celebrate! Have a glass of cabernet on me!

Curiouser

Registered
Reaction score
:) It might also be that I am based in the UK and a while back I understand that they had decided not to take on board any more UK writers.

hmcalendin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mcalendin.com
Don't forget to check that P.A. has indeed stopped selling your books. Many authors have been burned by P.A. continuing to sell their work and not paying royalites. ISBN's for PA books are owned by PA. Therefore, PA has to give permission to delete the ISBN from their database in order for the book to be noted as unavailable. Don't accept any excuses from PA. It's their responsibility to handle the deletion when they terminate the contracts on any of their books.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If I remember rightly, the non-exclusive offer was made to someone else too: it implied that PA would continue to publish the book concerned but the author was also free to find another publisher for it, hence the non-exclusivity. A deal that no other publisher I know of would agree to, and a deal that I'd bet would involve the possibility of financial gain for PA. So if all that is right, then this isn't a step towards courtesy by them, but a whole new and different way that they can appear to be serving writers while not giving them a bean.