How women can cope with Hormonal Teenage Boys and Grumpy Old (or Young) Men

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
See thread title! Lots of women try to cope with abuse by being "nice" and "loving". Usually doesn't work. I used to think that "being nice" would solve all problems, and one of the great things about turning 50 is that I'm no longer afraid not to be nice when niceness is not warranted or deserved! Oh yes,m I speak my mind a lot more now. I used to be what they call these days, I think, a "surrendered woman". Note to all women: IT DOESN'T WORK!!!

Doffed my hat to you. That's the spirit I prefer in a woman. I have absolutely no respect for a woman perpetually trapped in a maso-sadistic relationship...only pity perhaps. A hell of their own making.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's not often I'll stereotype (I try not to-really!) but the most difficult men in my life have been the 'strong silent' types. Moody guys, too sensitive. They don't rant often, instead, they seethe. There was one that I swear suffered from something quite similar to PMS. The only way to deal with him when he was like that was to be in different buildings.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Doffed my hat to you. That's the spirit I prefer in a woman. I have absolutely no respect for a woman perpetually trapped in a maso-sadistic relationship...only pity perhaps. A hell of their own making.

I can't say I was ever a masochist, nor am I drawn to sadists, and most of the men I've known have been far more nice than nasty. But I did have the attitude that it was always me who had to be understanding, sweet and gentle, no matter what he did.
I've been married twice, and both of those men are EXTREMELY difficult; and yet in almost diametrically opposite ways!

My first husband was a professional musician, and he was just crazy-difficult; he was high-energy, talked non-stop and couldn't stay in one place or with one thing for an instant. He was very funny and entertaining and upbeat, but really, no woman could keep up with him. It was as if he constantly gave off electric sparks.

My second husband is just the opposite; think Eeyore.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
PS - re my last comment - please remember that Eeyore in spite of all his gloom and doom was extremely lovable.

One of my husband's most lovable attributes is that he really does love me and even if the most beautiful Victoria Secrets model walked into the room he would not even look up - he thinks I am the most beautiful thing alive. If not for that I would have been over the hills and far away long ago; I can only take so much gloom and doom!

My first husband however was constantly flirting (even in my presence) and looking at other women and making me know that so-and-so was FAR more beautiful etc etc. I can only take so much disloyalty... we are still good friends, though.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my husband's most lovable attributes is that he really does love me and even if the most beautiful Victoria Secrets model walked into the room he would not even look up - he thinks I am the most beautiful thing alive.

See, this I don't understand. My husband would definitely look up if the most beautiful Victoria Secrets model walked into the room and I would have no problem with that. I think that is a perfectly normal response. He's a man and he has appreciation for a beautiful woman. So what? That doesn't mean he doesn't love me. And if a woman is secure with herself, she does not feel threatened by a man looking.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
See, this I don't understand. My husband would definitely look up if the most beautiful Victoria Secrets model walked into the room and I would have no problem with that. I think that is a perfectly normal response. He's a man and he has appreciation for a beautiful woman. So what? That doesn't mean he doesn't love me. And if a woman is secure with herself, she does not feel threatened by a man looking.

I wouldn't mind either; I don't set much store on physical attraction or being physically attractive to any man... I am secure in that I know I am valuable for myself, in myself, and not for my body, and I much prefer it that way. I am not envious of other, more beautiful women. Looks just aren't that important to me. I lost interest in sex and sexiness long ago.

But that really is the way he is. We watch movies together and he always found the most beautiful actresses unattractive. At least, that's what he says. And her really doesn't turn his head for women, so it's not just empty words.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
PS and my first husband didn't just look - he acted as well. He had numerous affairs even in the first year of our marriage, and always told me. Immediately. I was secure enough in myself to know I didn't want this kind o fa marriage!

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I know this won't go over well amongst most people in this thread, but I've yet to meet a man that was difficult to deal with. A lot of women, on the other hand, are a pain in the ass.

You should meet my father-in-law, then.

Though in a way, I agree with you...in my experience, a woman who's a pain in the ass tends to be MORE of a pain than a MAN who's a PITA.

But there is no shortage of men who are difficult to deal with.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
I am very difficult. Just so you know.

HAH!!!! I am much more difficlutz than what you are-I am also peevish-reluctant to talk about my genius-always petulant-never drunk-and always eggstremely rich which I enjoy cause what it allow me to lord over the lesser ones-heh heh!!!! Oh-I am defeyenately mean and nasty as well-just to let you know!!!!

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Every able bodied and marginally if not totally grumpy old men on the bus-we are off to Kate's house!!!!

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
HAH!!!! I am much more difficlutz than what you are-I am also peevish-reluctant to talk about my genius-always petulant-never drunk-and always eggstremely rich which I enjoy cause what it allow me to lord over the lesser ones-heh heh!!!! Oh-I am defeyenately mean and nasty as well-just to let you know!!!!

Yeah, yeah, but you are much easier to deal with -- just pick you up by your little antenna, snap some elastic bands around your claws and wave you over a pot of boiling water for a minute, and you'll fall back in line (Holy Sh*t how I wish I could have done that with my F-I-L!!)

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
I know this won't go over well amongst most people in this thread, but I've yet to meet a man that was difficult to deal with. A lot of women, on the other hand, are a pain in the ass.
Morning, Salem!!!:) Sorry, I'm laughing as I read this, because if you had every had the (NOT) pleasure of meeting my F-I-L, you would understand why. I swear on all that is holy, people came to the funeral just to make sure he was gone, and they didn't make any bones about it! They don't come any more difficult that him, although I really hope you're right and that he is the exception to the rule.

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, but you are much easier to deal with -- just pick you up by your little antenna, snap some elastic bands around your claws and wave you over a pot of boiling water for a minute, and you'll fall back in line (Holy Sh*t how I wish I could have done that with my F-I-L!!)

You may tape my claws anytime sweetheart-but you might just be losing a pleasant scratch fer what ails ya!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
As for grumpy old men, you mean like my husband? Oh man, yes he can be grumpy. They need to make Midol for men to deal with those mood swings.

It's called Paxil. Just kidding, but not really. As far as coping, there's nothing like good ol' BNO (Bitches Night Out). My three friends and I manage to have an overnighter sans men/boys once or twice a year. Keeps us from killing them.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's called Paxil. Just kidding, but not really. As far as coping, there's nothing like good ol' BNO (Bitches Night Out). My three friends and I manage to have an overnighter sans men/boys once or twice a year. Keeps us from killing them.

The men have BNOs every week for similar reasons. ;) That and beer. Now you know why men like their beers so much.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
are you sure you don't drink? ;)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
boring.

;)

Now give me Aishwarya Rai:

aishwarya-rai.jpg

Last edited: