What are you reading?

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Not yet convinced that I like it. It might have won a Pulitzer, but I continue to wait for the story to start and I'm almost a quarter of the way through.

I was disappointed in this book as well. I've tried it twice and couldn't really do it either time. Which is disappointing because The Virgin Suicides is one of my top ten reads of all time.

(Eugenides has an anthology coming out next year with the alluring title My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead.)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I just gave up on The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber. Between the pages of description of what an intellectual property lawyer does (unnecessary, IMO) and the fact that I've got to page 30 and there's still no indication of any plot starting, I just couldn't get into it.

So now I'm starting on Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence, which I just got as a big fancy all-in-one volume.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Double Bind is what I'm listening to on CD in my car (commuter entertainment).
and I'm reading The Other Boleyn Girl at home when I get a chance of it.

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Patricia Wood's Lottery last night (fantastic! everybody read it!) and I am starting Excavation by James Rollins.

sanssouci

Registered
Reaction score
I've just started Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. I seems like everyone and their mother have read this book so I thought I'd give it a whirl. The subject matter is really not my cup of tea but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the script to Knocked Up.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I just started Lottery by Patricia Wood (so far, so excellent). Next up is Saving Faith by David Baldacci.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I'm reading "Taken on Trust", the autobiography of Terry Waite. Okay, so it's not fiction, but it's great. How unthinkable would it be to be kidnapped and held hostage in a foreign country. I can't believe what these hostages go through.

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished 'The Metamorphoses' by Ovid, translated by Charles Martin. Just about to start 'Orlando' by Virginia Woolf.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I just finished the back of my cereal box and I'm now (FINALLY) reading the instructions that came with the remote for my TV...

(Thanks October Rain and Vandal!)

Wallaceka

Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-reading a Jonathan Kellerman, The Conspiracy Club. I'm bored and out of books, but as I've forgotten almost all of it since my first reading, I'm enjoying it.

Stylo

wall gazer extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm half way through 'Fall of Kings', the third book in David Gemmell's 'Troy' trilogy (co-written with his wife Stella, because sadly David died before he could complete it.)

I never thought I'd enjoy this type of book, but the first in the trilogy was lying around (my husband's an avid Gemmell fan) so I picked it up to have a browse, and was hooked from page one!

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I'm reading 'Bad Men' by John Connolly. It started of quite spooky, as before I went to bed it already started messing with my mind. I got back into it yesterday, and it feels like a complete different story now. Typical bank robbers and murders reunite, and trying to hunt down someone for revenge now. This will end up at the Dutch Island-which has a spooky feel to it.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
The Fortress of Solitude, by Jonathan Lethem

I'm SO glad I have no delusions of writing like this guy -- he blows me away. I'm loving it so far, but it takes me so long to read one of his because I keep re-reading passages that just plain rock.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be cracking open my brand new copy of Heroes of Old by Jay Young later tonight.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Finally getting to it this week and revisiting my childhood fav.

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Broken Ground by Jack Hodgins. Fascinating story and fantastic prose without a whole lot of fancy words.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Later today, I have three books to start: A Bradbury short story collection, Good Omens and a book by one of the blokes who made Red Dwarf called Incompitence. Looking forward to all three.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Water for Elephants last night, and jumped right into 20th Century Ghosts.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at least 2/3rds the way through "Younger Next Year" and I'm dissapointed that it's about 90 percent pep-talk and only 10 percent hard info.

Also reading "Best American Science Writing 2004", a collection of various articles. There's a longish one on the Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy and how it happened, beaurocratically as well as technically, and it's enough to make you cry.