What are you reading?

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
I believe my last contribution to this thread was SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE.

I followed it up by reading TIMEQUAKE.

And then I read A MAN WITHOUT A COUNTRY.

Kurt Vonnegut. Ya gotta love him.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Last night I finished Anita Shreve's Body Surfing.

I love her books. Never fails, by the end I'm both inspired and humbled -- she can write about the most wrenching things in such an understated way; she breaks my heart every time.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Book called 'Movieola' that's a lot better than I expected. Nearly finished it and have no idea what to read next. Boo.

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Kite Runner and I can't stop thinking about it. I cried, twice. I'm almost afraid to see the movie because I don't want it to ruin the book for me.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I just finished The Kite Runner and I can't stop thinking about it. I cried, twice.

This is exactly why I haven't read it yet, even though it's been lying in my bookshelf for ages. Really don't want to be depressed for a week.

Tragically, I thought I'd get a few laughs out of Marian Keyes's latest work. She's so funny, but this time she decided to tackle death and how people deal with it. *sigh*

Great book, but I need to laugh. Suggestions?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading: Phillipa Gregory's The Virgin's Lover, and a Donald E. Westlake Dortmunder novel. I can't for the life of me remember the title right now.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
I've enjoyed much by Christopher Moore, in particular LAMB. I worship Terry Pratchett (he's a small god who doesn't answer my email). I read King's ON WRITING about ten times -- a personal record -- before selling it. For the memoirs more than the writing advice, all of which I've written (badly) myself. Oh, and Steven King subscribes to my newsletter, so hahahahahahahaha.

Right now I'm reading A CHAMELEON'S TALE by Mo Tejani. An Indian Shia Muslim who got kicked out of Uganda (his homeland) during the Idi Amin days. The dude can write, and think, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I would've never bought it if I hadn't met the author -- presentations and speeches work if you've got the talent. I've read one travel book too many, or many ten or twenty too many, but I love this one. Even though it doesn't have any pix of Hello Kitty...

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I have started reading a book called Clearing in the Wild by Jane Kirkpatrick.
I'm only about 11 pages in, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Reaction score
"Heirs of Ravenscar" by Barbara Taylor Bradford. Jesus H, it's bad. She's my 'makes me feel better about my own writing' author.

Lady Esther

I can say the alphabet backwards!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I have to see what all the hype is about. I'm also reading The Sublime by Hannah Moskowitz (aka Shady Lane). Then, I'll finish reading Holes.

red lantern

Registered
Reaction score
I am reading Traitors Hand by Sandy Mitchell, it is book 3 of 5 detailing the life of Commissar Ciaphas Cain, a front line defender of the Imperium, a rogue,an opportunist and a fraud. It is set in the closing days of the 41st millennium, set in the Warhammer 40 000 world.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
juan valera

i am reading pepita jimenez by juan valera. love the novel but it is slow going. i am reading the new old house by martha stewart (she looks like a teen in the pictures. guess jail does age one.) and another on decorating with books. i am moving into my dad's 100 + year old house this spring and i need some house sense before i start tearing into things.
i am trying to read the thirteenth tale but not getting anywhere. it started out with a bang but now is in the whimper stage. i am tempted to give up on it. tales of men and ghosts by wharton is faster going. storm warning bynancy mathis is my halloween read. this is a hair raiser! it is about tornadoes in the panhandle. i don't have television so i read a lot. --s6

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Harvesting the Heart.- Jodi Picoult's second novel about the result of having an absent mother on a woman's life.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Not yet convinced that I like it. It might have won a Pulitzer, but I continue to wait for the story to start and I'm almost a quarter of the way through.