What are you reading?

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
Last December I bought Laura Lippman's collection of short stories, though it wasn't until February before I looked through it.

It was the first book of hers I'd checked out.

I've only read one of the stories so far, and while I did enjoy it, I have to put in the "Books I can't read when I'm in a particularly good mood" category.

Otherwise it'll bring me down too much.

That said, the writing is so polished and the voice somber and straightforward. I'll definitely finish it.

I'm still getting through The Sands of Time by Michael Hoeye. I'm so glad I discovered this author, reading his books always give me hope for mine! I hope he writes another book in the Hermux series soon.

Porphry

Registered
Reaction score
The Pig by Edward Lee (trust me, you don't wanna know)
&
Bloodstone by Nate Kenyon (new horror author. I read his second book first (The Reach) and very much enjoyed it.)

Po

TrishaHaddad

A Bookish Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishahaddad.com
The Forger by Paul Watkins. He is one of the best living writers I've come across. His best books I think are The Promise of Light and Stand Before Your God.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz. I just started it this morning, so I can't tell you how good it is yet; but it looks promising. I'm still at the part where Schuyler Van Alen and one of her friend are trying to get into a club. I can't wait to see if they succeed.

This is extremely slow reading for me. Usually I can finish a book in about three days. That's the norm for me, but for some reason now, I have been finishing books in around one or two days. Depending on the size of that particular book. I guess it's just because they are such good books.

I just finished a book called Gifts by Ursula _____________. I can't remember her last name. It was really good, and she really made me feel the emotions and got me into the situations that were presented. The book did have an ending that made you think that there was at least another book. I hope there is. I mean, the author described everything really well!

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Done with Bleachers, on to The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. It was pretty good.

Not sure what I'll choose from the pile yet, I'm not in the mood for romance or anything depressing right now.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Done with Bleachers, on to The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco.

Ha, I've tried to read The Name of the Rose before, but didn't have the necessary maturity as a reader to tackle it, and got bored around page 20 or something. I'll try reading it again this summer, as soon as I've got some time to read whatever I want to read.

Right now, I'm still reading Red and Black by Stendhal, and also Doña Perfecta, by Benito Perez Galdós. I highly recommend both of them, Doña Perfecta is hilarious :)

katatonic

I'm a few pages into House of Leaves. I've heard alot of good things about this book, and the format looks really interesting.

Only thing that put me off reading it sooner was its length, man this will be a monster read.

Anybody read this? What were your thoughts and opinions? Good debut overall?

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
Read Wake last night, will read Fade tonight. AW member wrote them. After Fade I will read Hunger Games.

Elwolf

Rabbit! Hunting Mode.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! I read Hunger Games! It was awesome! You'll like it a lot. At least, I hope you will. :D

popbunny

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. I hated it with a passion.

I'm trying to read more Harlequins (seeing as I'm trying to write one), so I stagger one Harlequin between every other more literary work.

Reaction score
I love Gabaldon's Jamie and Claire books. I've read Cross Stitch at least three times, possibly four.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Edith Grossman's translation of Don Quixote. Loving it.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Edith Grossman's translation of Don Quixote. Loving it.

Don Quijote has to be one of the best books I've ever read!! However, to get the full scope of the novel's hilarity, I would seriously recommend reading at least one chivalric romance. Amadis the Gaula is the perfect one, since it's boring, annoying and stupid, and Don Quijote makes fun of that one specially.

However, yes, Don Quijote rightfully deserves its place in western literary cannon... it's the only book that has made me cry in a long, long time. I couldn't hold the tears at the end, even though I'd been laughing all the way through the book.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
By The Time You Read This, a detective mystery (one of a series) by Giles Blunt.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Whew! I finally finished Crime and Punishment, by Dostoievsky. I really need to read that book in one sitting and with full concentration, because it's really one of the best books I've ever read. Slightly disturbing, very psychological and intensely effective. I really reccomend reading it =)

Now, as my free-time reading, I'm beginning Anna Karenina, by Tolstoi. I'm dying to read this one.

For school, I'm still reading Red and Black, by Stendhal and Doña Perfecta, by Benito Perez Galdós, and as my nighttime read, I'm still reading Runaway Horses by Yukio Mishima. However, I expect to be done with all three books this same week (actually, I NEED to be done with the first two books this week... one for tomorrow and the other for Wednesday).

*eyes fall off*