Registered
Reaction score
Peter F Hamilton - The Dreaming Void
51y0fv48HUL._AA240_.jpg

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
This week I finished Son of a Witch, read Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed in one sitting, read our very own Ramond Wong's The Pacific Between (also in one sitting) and half of American Psycho. All while procrastinating on Art of War.

Anyone else like Emily Giffin? I read Baby Proof first, and I just love the way she writes. I'm afraid to tackle Something Blue because I really hated Darcy by the end of Something Borrowed. Reminded me way too much of a former friend.

LOVED RAY'S BOOK. Made me realize that I'm depressed because I still haven't had closure from my grandma's death. Thanks, Ray.

American Psycho is a slow read for me, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did the movie because I can take my time and savor it.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, with the sequel waiting patiently somewhere to be read next, and Dark Fire by CJ Sansom. The latter I'd really recommend in terms of a historical first person novel that's still really accessible, not archaic or flowery in its use of language.

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else like Emily Giffin? I read Baby Proof first, and I just love the way she writes. I'm afraid to tackle Something Blue because I really hated Darcy by the end of Something Borrowed. Reminded me way too much of a former friend.
Me!:hi:I loved Something Borrowed--the whole forbidden love thing was done really well.;) I had to go out and get Something Blue right away. That was really good too, but my heart will always be with Rachel's POV. I read how Emily Giffin wanted to explore Darcy's POV during the editing process of Something Borrowed, and that's how she ended up making a sequel out of it. Pretty cool.

Baby Proof... not so much. I don't know why but it didn't have that same can't-stop-reading feel to it as her other two books. I do love her writing style though, and will definitely read more from her!

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
The Fourth Hand by John Irving. He is simply one of the greatest authors ever, and this is definitely him at his best.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I was reading all the Little House books to my son and he loved them but we were two thirds of the way through These Happy Golden Years when I stopped to read him Harry Potter. We are up to near the end of The Prisoner of Azkaban.
I've almost finished Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult. Probably too many coincidences in this book You have to suspend your disbelief a little but it's still a can't put down read, brilliant etc...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
"The Elements of Editing" got boring, but I expect to go through it some more someday.

Currently reading "The End of Science," it's isn't quite as hoaky as the title seems. But the author (a regular writer for Scientific American) uses the opportunity of the book to interview or at least discuss every legend of science. It's chock full of interesting tidbits about scientific discoveries as well as the personal lives of scientists. Stephen Hawking's wife divorced him because she was a strong Christian and was uncomfortable with Stephen's increasingly atheistic views (the book is chock full of references, and for this the author refers to a bio of Hawking). And to think Hawking once had an audience with The Pope...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Fourth Hand by John Irving. He is simply one of the greatest authors ever, and this is definitely him at his best.
Great book, though not his best, IMHO. The World According to Garp will always be my fave. :)

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
After I read GARP, I rushed right out and bought every single other John Irving title I could find. Thus, THE FOURTH HAND, and thus others I will list here after I read them.

Today's entry, ladies and gents, is that I reread SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE. It never fails to be great. Go to the library and you will thank me. Yes you will. Rep points welcome.

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
I just started The Kite Runner. So far, it's amazing. Vivid, compelling, all that good stuff. :)

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently about halfway through Phillipa Gregory's The Boleyn Inheritance. It's not bad, but not great either. It's not like I don't know how it ends. :D

takkunelwood

Registered
Reaction score
...have since read The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore.

I have been on a humor kick, so I am currently reading A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore...

I saw one of his books in the library and nearly had a heart attack, as well as this thread now, because that's also the name of one of my best friends. XD

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of Frazier's Cold Mountain. (Yes, I know I'm a few years behind.) Also, Fforde's Lost in a Good Book (Book 2 of the Tuesday Next series). And in the on deck circle is A Thousand Splendid Suns.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, Patricia, you know I already read it!

Along with "End of Science" I'm now reading "Younger Next Year" - if I'm going to be a Grumpy Old Man, I might as well be in good health and live as long as I can...

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Get over to your blog and put up a new post -
I TRIED to read Loving Frank but er...you see my husband is an architect and he can't STAND FLW plus I just could NOT get into it.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Off topic I think "A Prayer for Owen Meany was his best, of the John Irving books I've read.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm reading A Short History of Nearly Everything and a pretty good book called Endgame although I can't remember who wrote it. The basic plot starts from a bet between God and the Devil when God opens the Garden of Eden and the Devil's pissed off at not being invited to the party. He bets God humankind will screw up the world God has just given them. If the Devil is right, he gets allowed back into Heaven. :D

Eyan Carrington

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fatroland.com
I'm reading a second hand copy of Stephen Fry's Hippopotamous after seeing some of his stuff on the tellybox. He's very entertaining, but I do wonder if he would be dismissed as over-wordy if he was an unknown submitting his first novel.

Denise M

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck for a local book discussion group.

Denise

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Sundog Season (was good) and last night started Look me in the Eye by John Robison. Loving it!