What are you reading?

OttR

Amphibious Carnivore
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Lies of Locke Lamora right now. It's entertaining so far, but I have to wonder about all the praise heaped upon this book. And about the editor.

The main annoyance is a wandering POV. It moves in and out of characters' heads. There is one scene in particular that is really bad about this.

This scene is told from the POV of Don Salvara, even going so far as to show his thoughts right there on the page. This is especially important in this scene because the MC (Locke Lamora) is in disguise and unknown to Salvara. So the entire scene has Locke described as his disguised character. Then, halfway through it, we get this line:
There was a wicked gleam in Don Salvara's eyes; it could be seen despite the brightness of the sun overhead.
So now we are out of Salvara's head but still Locke is shown as only Salvara would see him. Confusing, to say the least.

There are a bunch of other minor things that should have been caught as well, like:
He wore embroidered gray hose over thick-heeled sharkskin shoes.
Really? Hose over his shoes? It could be the fashion I guess, but it seems like it would wear out awfully quickly.

I'm not giving up on it, though. I'm taking all the praise as a sign that the plot is going to be utterly amazing. I hope so.

Last edited:

Mason

Cool Smoke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
addisblogs.blogspot.com
Just finished So Big by Edna Ferber.

Oh man, oh man, that next to last scene when Selena comes out to meet the group is a beauty. I really enjoyed the book, cover to cover.

Probably read Zadie Smith's White Teeth next.

Clio

In the mind warp pavilion
Registered
Reaction score
Have just finished The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold, picked up as a '2 for £5' at the local supermarket. I'd never read this author before, so I gave her a try (don't laugh, guys). I found it a satisfying experience for the most part until I got to the end, which was one heck of a disappointment and seemed rushed and contrived. I do hate it when this happens; you have invested time and emotion in a literary novel only to put it down at the end with a feeling of being cheated.

I've now begun Steven Saylor's Catilina's Riddle. At least I know what to expect with old Steve - I enjoy his Gordianus the Finder tales and this one is living up to expectations so far. A nice cosy book for bedtime and the bus.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
I just start The Encyclopedia of Mass Murder by Brian Lane and Wilfred Greg, last night. It's absolutely fascinating. Very good book so far.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Don't laugh! I'm reading a Doctor Who novel. Forever Autumn. What? I'm a Doctor Who fan...have been since I was a kid! :tongue It's actually pretty good. A fast read. I should finish it tomorrow.

Manderley

Slowly does it.
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it. The mysterious, doomed quality is always there, a little depressing, but I couldn't put it down.

If you love Rebecca, you're going to want to pick up Mrs. de Winter by Susan Hill. A post Manderley sequel.

With a nick like mine, I cannot but agree. ;-)

I'm currently reading The Woman in White, which in a sense is a bit like Rebecca, what with it being set in a couple of those huge, English houses, with a mysterious husband and a looming, foreboding atmosphere.

Edit: Just realised I got the two follow-up books mixed up. I haven't read Hill's book, but I've read Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman. Well worth a read for any Rebecca fans.

Last edited:

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
With a nick like mine, I cannot but agree. ;-)

I'm currently reading The Woman in White, which in a sense is a bit like Rebecca, what with it being set in a couple of those huge, English houses, with a mysterious husband and a looming, foreboding atmosphere.

Edit: Just realised I got the two follow-up books mixed up. I haven't read Hill's book, but I've read Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman. Well worth a read for any Rebecca fans.

Sounds like my kind of books. I'll pick them up. ;)

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Don't laugh! I'm reading a Doctor Who novel. Forever Autumn. What? I'm a Doctor Who fan...have been since I was a kid! :tongue It's actually pretty good. A fast read. I should finish it tomorrow.

I *own* about a dozen Doctor Who novels. None are as good as the shows, but they're great for relaxation.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Three Strides Before the Wire -- Elizabeth Mitchell

The Defining Moment -- Jonathan Alter

I read a lot of non fiction, but write fiction-- what gives?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to start reading The Lord Of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien today. It's one big volume, in trade paperback. I have until November 18th to finish it. Here's hoping I can read it all the way through in that time.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
The Ode Less Traveled by Stephen Fry.

Yes. About poetry.

What? Don't look at me like that.

It's been sitting on my shelf of Books to be Read for several months now while I summon up the courage to do so, so I'd appreciate your input.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I've just spent three weeks reading Dan Simmons's The Terror - generally satisfying if too long (766 pages, around 240,000 words I guess) and it takes a strange turn in its last eighty pages.

I started today something entirely different - Monkey Grip by Helen Garner. The story of a woman whose lover is a junkie, it's very character-led and beautifully written, with a great eye for sensual detail. Only 240 pages (a Virago hardback from the library) so it shouldn't take me more than a few days to a week. It's another one I'm reading before watching the (1982) film version on DVD.

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
As a Halloween treat, I'm reading Dark Harvest, by Norman Partridge. Really short and really good.

Snowbird

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Hedwig and Berti ... next is A certain Slant of Light.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Heartsick by Chelsea Cain.

I was reading Sister's Choice by Emilie Richards. I thought the concept was beautiful and thought it really had potential. The story could have been decent but there was something about her writing that I didn't like. It bored me. I didn't care about the characters. It wasn't one of those books that you can't wait to get back to, hate to put down, and never want to end.

It was 500 pages and about 400 pages too long. After I read most of the first 400 pages, I skipped to the ending which I NEVER do but which was very predictable.