What are you reading?

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I just got finished reading Brisingr by Chistopher Paolini. Everytime I read or reread one of his books I just get lost in his writing. I feel like I am watching a movie.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I just got finished reading Brisingr by Chistopher Paolini. Everytime I read or reread one of his books I just get lost in his writing. I feel like I am watching a movie.

I've only read portions of his works, but what I did read, I enjoyed. I imagine when he gets really established he'll be a phenomenal writer. :)

I still haven't figured out what I'm going to read now. I'm still on kind of a high because I submitted my short story early this morning. But I'm thinking I really want to pick something up, if only so I can take a break from writing. Getting away from the Craft for a couple days really does help with my enjoyment of it. :)

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a murder mystery called "The Poet". Pretty good in general.

At one point the author had a nice shout out to writing workshop veterans. One of his characters--an FBI agent named Bob--was playing dumb about something. The hero turned to him and said "As I think you know, Bob,..." which tickled me.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
Just found this thread and will have to start posting here. It's interesting to see what others are reading.

Right now I'm reading 'Dead Ground' by Gerald Seymour (good so far but I'm only 80 pages in) and "An Introduction to Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen"

(I went to a booksale at a local college and stumbled across about a dozen books on opera and/or composers. Fascinating stuff. And our local library system is having its big sale next weekend - can't wait!!)

Ms. Jem

Love, Lust and Ghosts
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danitaminnis.com
Has any one read The Devil and Miss Prym by Paulo Coelho? I just discovered his work. I love the sense of foreboding throughout the book. Coelho is an expert at it.

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read portions of his works, but what I did read, I enjoyed. I imagine when he gets really established he'll be a phenomenal writer. :)

I still haven't figured out what I'm going to read now. I'm still on kind of a high because I submitted my short story early this morning. But I'm thinking I really want to pick something up, if only so I can take a break from writing. Getting away from the Craft for a couple days really does help with my enjoyment of it. :)

I only write in my spare time, because I go to school full time so for me reading is quiet time and writing is fun time. But I can still relate. Also I hope you do get to read his books one day. If you like those kinds of books, I think you might really enjoy them. :)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
A friend gave me a copy of Chicken Soup For The Recovering Soul, and I'm going to start reading that tonight. :)

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finally finished Bentley Little's horror novel, "The Vanishing."

Finally. I nearly gave up on finishing it a couple of times. It was that bad. But I stuck it out, and guess what? I wasn't rewarded at the end. The ending was worse than the rest of the book.

And one last complaint...the title. After reading the whole damned thing, I have no idea why it was named "The Vanishing."

Cherry Bear

red fish, blue fish
Registered
Reaction score
second star to the right, and straight on till mor
Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire. He's also the author of Wicked, which I haven't had the necessity to read yet but I will probably become curious enough about it soon. I've been in sort of a fairy-tale mood lately, and combine that with my lifelong desire of wearing the shoes that are not often worn, and this book is ideal. It's the first book I've come across that deals with what Cinderella's sisters were like, and it's incredibly enticing.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Joyland by Emily Schultz. It was published by a small press where I want to send my ms. The press wants me to compare my book to other books on their list, so this is like research. It's good so far, though.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Devil's Labyrinth was horrible.

I just finished Elmore Leonard's The Hunted and it was good but not his best. I am now reading a psychotic book called Crooked Little Vein by comic book writer Warren Ellis. I'm enjoying it far more than I thought I would.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
Well, I finally finished Bentley Little's horror novel, "The Vanishing."

Finally. I nearly gave up on finishing it a couple of times. It was that bad. But I stuck it out, and guess what? I wasn't rewarded at the end. The ending was worse than the rest of the book.

And one last complaint...the title. After reading the whole damned thing, I have no idea why it was named "The Vanishing."

I read that one and thought it was the best of the Little books I have subjected myself to. Read into that what you will...haha.