What are you reading?

Stephen Palmer

Registered
Reaction score
Just started reading The City and the City by China Mieville - hadn't read anything by him before and was a little skeptical to being with (it starts slowly and reminds me a little of a little of Christopher Priest, who's stories I usually like but find his writing a little cold and leaves me uninvolved) but I'm definitely coming around to it.

Has anybody ready anything else by him you'd recommend I read next?

Check out Perdido Street Station (excellent, but long) and The Scar (excellent)
also UnLunDun, which was marketed for YA, but which anyone can read - and it's one of his best.
I liked The City & The City a lot, but it has mixed reviews. I didn't like Kraken at all, and his latest is on my tbr pile...

Terrific author!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Been another month, time for another procrastination update:

Recently Read:
Spilling Ink (Anne Mazer and Ellen Potter, MG/YA Writing, paperback): A handbook for kids who want to write but aren't sure where to begin, or are convinced it's too hard.

This is a good starter book on writing fiction. It doesn't go into outlining or three-act structuring or deep grammar, nor does it focus on the daunting statistics of publication, but rather focuses on the joy of writing, with glimpses of the overall process of creating stories, fleshing out ideas, seeking and evaluating feedback, and so forth. The two writers have somewhat different approaches, and hand off to each other several times in each section, giving more than one perspective. It speaks to kids without talking down to them, and is a good reminder for older kids (and grown-ups) about what writing should feel like: sometimes frustrating, sometimes tedious, but ultimately fun.

Saber Tooth (Dawn of the Mammals series, Book 1, Lou Cadle, SF, Kindle): While fossil hunting in the Badlands, a small group - including a park ranger, a paleontologist, a teacher, and several high school students - find a shimmering ripple that pulls them hundreds of thousands of years back in time... back to when saber toothed predators ruled the lands.

On the plus side, this book is exactly what it sounds like, delivering a certain amount of action and danger as modern people struggle to survive when thrust into a primitive world unprepared. On the minus side... there's not a whole lot more to it. The characters aren't especially deep and lean towards tropes (with a touch of sexism around the edges, despite the reasonable strong and competent MC, park ranger Hannah), and it never really drew me into an overarching conflict or plot. The climactic confrontation with the titular beast feels incomplete given the buildup, and the ending's not a conclusion but a cliffhanger as it thrusts them toward the next book, leaving unresolved the unspoken questions behind the whole book: whether they'd figure out how to get home, or whether they'd prove the human animal capable of adapting and surviving in the age of saber tooths. Not a terrible read, with some moments of tension and action, but I never felt engaged enough with the story or characters to consider pursuing future books.

It Came! (Issues 1 - 4, Dan Boultwood, Graphic Novel/Humor/SF, Nook via Hoopla): An alien robotic menace from another world terrorizes the English countryside, but Dr. Boy Brett of the Space University and his companion Doris are on the case with the miracles of Modern Science! Filmed in Eyeball-o-Rama vision, with ads and a thrilling preview.

This is a hilarious spoof on old B-grade sci-fi flicks, with hints of self-awareness and more than a little innuendo. Dr. Brett smokes a pipe even when running for his life and has numerous dismissive pet names for Doris, the army proves ineffective save at providing the robot with more victims, and the evil scheme proves as evil as it is schemey. An intermission encourages theatergoers to grab drinks in the lobby, promising that the plot will make more sense after a few, while pre-movie ads tout cigarettes and other products. I hope Boultwood does another set of these (assuming he can keep the humor level up); if nothing else, I'm dying to see the rest of the previewed "Lost Valley of the Lost."

Currently Reading:
Golden Son (The Red Rising trilogy, Book 2, Pierce Brown, SF, paperback): Against the odds, Darrow has infiltrated the cruel, elite society of the ruling Golds and not only survived their training academy, but won the game. He's that much closer to bringing down their cruel regime from the inside, liberating his fellow enslaved Reds and avenging his murdered wife. Yet his place among the Golds is far from assured - an old rival manages to outmaneuver him at the next stage of training, costing him a valuable apprenticeship and threatening everything he and so many others have sacrificed so much for. He's come too far to give up, but his enemies increase by the day, and they were born into this backstabbing, amoral world where he, for all the body modifications and training he's endured, is still an outsider at heart...

This picks up about two years after the first book ended, but throws the reader into the story without recap or grace time. I almost considered doubling back to read Book 1 again, but the books - while well written and engaging - are somewhat harrowing in their depictions of a corrupt, amoral society gone to rot from head to tail, and I'm not sure I can endure reading two such books in a row given how grim things are looking in reality... Otherwise, it maintains the crisp pace and thick intrigue - where one literally cannot tell whom one can trust or who is just positioning Darrow for another backstab - of the first book, and I believe I'll enjoy it once I get back into the world.

Curiosity House: The Shrunken Head (The Curiosity House series, Book 1, H. C. Chester and Lauren Oliver, MG Fantasy, Kindle): The last of the "dime museum" attractions in yesteryear's New York City, home to marvels like a stuffed two-headed calf (whose second head often needs reattaching) and a baseball-sized kidney stone, is also home to a host of "freaks" and performers, from a bearded woman to a "dwarf" (who is technically an inch or two too tall, but slouches so nobody notices.) Among these are four children, who must work to save the museum when its prize shrunken head disappears... taking with it the crowds it was drawing.

I was looking for a lighter title to counter my paperback read (previous), and so far I'm enjoying this one. The characters are a little exaggerated, but not so caricatured one can't care about them, even if the numerous other performers are sometimes hard to keep straight.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Finished "More Soviet Science Fiction" a collection from 1962. As an example of post-golden age SF, the stories were interesting. All but the last one were way too wordy and spent too much time explaining the mechanisms or the science to the detriment of the story. I doubt this was caused by translation; the stories were rather preachy. The last story, "Six Matches," by the Strugatsky brothers, was the gem of the book. Tight, crisp, pulled the reader along as the story not-quite-raced to its conclusion.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The World Until Yesterday by Jared Diamond. This id the fourth book oh his I've read. It's good as expected but I've read enough of his work to know where he's going with things.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uncomfortably, Happily by Yeon-Sik Hong.

This is a graphic novel about a couple who leaves Seoul for the mountain life, only to have their money and emotional problems follow them. It's brilliant! I am totally sucked in and addicted. There are some genius visuals in here, and a relatable story even if the MC is a total jerk. His wife is the sweetest thing ever, and we get just enough of a glimpse into her struggle with powerlessness over his emotional spiral it about brings tears to my eyes with just her facial expressions.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? by George Carlin.

I really liked The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Even though a lot of people complain about the beginning being slow, I still found a way to plow through it. And then, of course, once Blomkvist's investigation begins, and we learn more about Lisbeth, the story just takes off like a cannon. But then the mystery is solved with a good thirty pages---at least---left. So I figured there was gonna be a twist or some sort of turn that was gonna give me a good kick in the butt. Nope. Pretty much thirty-plus pages of libel sub-plot diatribes. Things that could have been summed up in a five-page coda. Other than that, I gotta say, I thought the book was really good, and I'm definitely gonna read The Girl who Played with Fire soon.

nrwriter

I like full stops.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nikolai.com.au
I've heard so much about The Martian by Andy Weir and decided to give it a go. First 20 pages — love it. I like it when wrietrs write like they know what they're talking about. Crisp, detailed storytelling. Hope it will stay this way for the rest of the book. Who else liked the book?

Last edited:

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
The Martian was a great book. The movie was good (Ridley Scott rules). But, as with most cases, the novel was better. I'm hoping Weir has another novel coming out soon. It's been a few years since The Martian.

Stephen Palmer

Registered
Reaction score
The Martian was a great book. The movie was good (Ridley Scott rules). But, as with most cases, the novel was better. I'm hoping Weir has another novel coming out soon. It's been a few years since The Martian.

He might be suffering from the after-effects of his massive commercial exposure. That sort of thing can ruin a new career.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just went to the library today and restocked for my trip to camp. Plus I bought a paper-back.(I'm taking 6 books to camp, but these are the two I've started)

The Peach Keeper-Alice Hoffman
Willow Brook Road-Sherryl Woods

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about three chapters into Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits by David Wong. So far, it's fast-paced and very funny, much like his other novels. I loved John Dies at the End and This Book is Full of Spiders, and recently learned the third book in the series is coming out in October. Can't wait.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about halfway through John Fowles' The French Lieutenant's Woman. It's an interesting book, although I'm having some trouble adjusting to Fowles' occasional moments of breaking the fourth wall and discussing the story using modern terms (like "computer") while still in the period voice of the rest of the narrative. I'm finding it somewhat disconcerting.

I've never seen the movie, though, so I'm intrigued by the story and am wondering how it's all going to play out.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Water touching stone by Eliot Pattison. Number two of the Inspector Shan series of whodunnits set in Tibet. Pattison really knows his stuff when it comes to Tibetan and Chinese history and contemporary events.

lauren.nw

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just finished reading Shaun David Hutchinson's We are the Ants. I enjoyed it immensely and would recommend it to anyone up for a bit of an offbeat YA read.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Behind Closed Doors, by BA Paris.

EDIT: I am seventy-four pages into this book, and it's awful. I'll finish it, only because I'm fickle that way. But I'm not digging it. Lazy writing. And boring all to hell. I'm getting tired of these marriage/relationship thrillers that have been coming out since Gone Girl (a book I liked, as I like Gillian Flynn). But, holy shit, since then we've had:

The Girl on the Train
Behind Closed Doors
The Good Wife
In a Dark, Dark Wood
(which was a piece of shit, too)

Plus probably fifty more. I'm sure Gillian Flynn is conflicted as to what the hell she started.

Last edited: