What are you reading?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Weird thing: I usually have two books going at a time - one audiobook, that I listen to during my commute, while exercising, and while doing chores; and one eyeball book (either paper or kindle) that I read during lunch and occasionally in the evenings when my eyes aren't too tired. Occasionally I have a second audiobook going, which I call my "sleeping book" - something I have listened to before, that I listen to as I fall asleep.

Right now I have five books going, all fitting different slots in my life, and I rather like it. I might keep it up. I have:

* Main audiobook: Sloan Wilson, The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit
* "Sleeping" audiobook: Ursula LeGuin, Lavinia
* Eyeball book (lunchtime): Elizabeth Kennedy & Madeline Davis, Boots of Leather, Slippers of Gold: The History of a Lesbian Community
* Eyeball book (odd moments here and there): Anaïs Nin, The Portable Anaïs Nin
* Eyeball book (evening): Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Two of these are rereads (Lavinia and The Handmaid's Tale). The latter happened when I spied it on my shelf one night as I was getting into bed, and since it's all over the popular discourse at the moment, I pulled it down to browse and ended up just reading it. Wilson and Kennedy & Davis are obviously research.

HaHs

Registered
Reaction score
The main book I'm reading at the minute is 'A Court of Wings and Ruin' by Sarah J. Maas. I'm also (much more slowly) reading 'The Power' by Naomi Alderman. Both good, neither as good as I was hoping. Yet. (Still just under half of ACOWAR to go and I know Ms. Maas must have something big planned to wrap up this series).

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
An hour ago, I finished reading "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson. In my mind, it was going to be as wonderful as "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" was. All I could think of when I finally finished was, "What a fucking letdown. The (black and white) movie is sure to be better than the book." I was looking so forward to being entranced, terrified, and unable to stop giggling, as sometimes happens when I read something Shirley Jackson wrote. While reading this, I was unsettled often, but never afraid. It's a "me" issue, really. Not a mark against her, the content, and certainly not her style. Jackson is brilliant. This book didn't do it for me, though.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
An hour ago, I finished reading "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson. In my mind, it was going to be as wonderful as "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" was. All I could think of when I finally finished was, "What a fucking letdown. The (black and white) movie is sure to be better than the book." I was looking so forward to being entranced, terrified, and unable to stop giggling, as sometimes happens when I read something Shirley Jackson wrote. While reading this, I was unsettled often, but never afraid. It's a "me" issue, really. Not a mark against her, the content, and certainly not her style. Jackson is brilliant. This book didn't do it for me, though.

Aw, that's a bummer. We Have Always Lived in the Castle is very close to the top of my list - I'll probably read it in the next month or two. I study the stories in The Lottery and Other Stories closely, over and over, in awe of the way the accomplishes so much with such deceptively simple language.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Gold, by Chris Cleave last night. Wonderful book. I think I actually liked it more than Little Bee. I'm about to start Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy. Lord, help me...

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Another month, another procrastination update...

Recently Finished:
The Last Dragon (Silvana De Mari, MG fantasy, paperback): The young elf pup Yorsh wanders a world plagued by foul weather and famine, a world where humans have regressed to unlettered barbarians and his kind are as reviled and feared as dreadful ogres or trolls. Falling in with a pair of humans, he finds himself on a path laid out in a prophecy... a prophecy that names him as the last elf, who will bring a new age after he finds the last dragon. But something must've been left out of the prophecy, because years after he finds the beast and the perpetual rains end, things are worse than ever.

I had a very mixed reaction to this book. At first glance, it looked like a fairly typical middle-grade fantasy with familiar parts. Only De Mari's writing style (or possibly that of her translator) kept me reading, and made me actually enjoy the occasionally-irritating quirk of Yorsh not understanding a thing about human culture or other dangers of the wide world. Then the second part began, and the twist reveals itself in a prophecy that seems to have gone all wrong. The real theme of the book is about the cycle of fear and misunderstanding and xenophobia. Nobody is immune to these traits, either: Yorsh's lack of understanding about humans leads to a generalized dislike, the dragon's arrogant nature sees everything not magnificent enough to be a dragon as ultimately expendable (particularly if they taste good with rosemary), and the humans find plenty to hate and fear about each other in addition to every other species and race. I generally enjoyed the tale, but wasn't sure I bought some of the character transformations by the end, and the antagonist seemed underexplored and underutilized. The conclusion therefore felt a trifle flat, despite the steep price paid for it. Younger readers, those looking for a fantasy with a fairy tale feel but with more meat on the bones, would probably not be bothered by such issues.

The Wee Free Men (Terry Pratchett, Discworld: The Tiffany Aching series, Book 1, MG fantasy, Nook via Overdrive): When peculiar things start happening in young Tiffany Aching's backwater corner of Discworld, such as the appearance of small blue men and a monster that tries to eat her kid brother, there's nobody to turn to: there aren't wizards for miles around the Chalk, and the Baron isn't the kind of clever ruler who could be relied upon to solve things. (Tiffany's granny probably would've known what to do, but she died a while ago, leaving little but an annotated compendium of sheep ailments.) Armed with a frying pan, a head full of words from the dictionary nobody told her she shouldn't read, a talking toad who may have been a man once, and sheer determination, Tiffany sets out to save the Chalk, beginning on the long and winding path toward witchhood.

I've yet to be disappointed by Pratchett, and this book is no exception. Sure, he has superficial humor and silliness and some hilarious throwaway lines and references, but there's always a solid story behind that, and solid characters behind the story, and solid themes behind the characters. It's these layers that give Pratchett's work their staying power and impact. Being a middle-grade title, it skews a slight bit juvenile, but not in a way that talks down to kids (or grown-ups.) Very enjoyable, and I expect I'll be reading more of Tiffany's adventures.

Currently Reading:
Starflight (Melissa Landers, YA sci-fi, Kindle): At eighteen, the orphan Solara is too old to be a ward of the state anymore, and the felon tattoos on her knuckles (plus her lack of family connections or money) mean she has no prospects on Earth or any of the other civilized worlds. She plans to turn her engineering prowess into a job on the fringes, the outermost frontiers of terraformed worlds, beyond the reach of government influence and officials: out there, talent and usefulness speak louder than prejudices and tattoos. But to get there, she has to indenture herself with a paying passenger - and, just her rotten luck, the one passenger who takes her on is Doran, wealthy scion of a man who nearly owns the government, with whom she has an adversarial personal history. He takes sadistic pleasure in treating her worse than a slug, waiting on him and his pink-haired socialite girlfriend hand and foot - but when he crosses the line and tries to boot her from the ship at a refueling stop, Solara takes matters into her own hands...

So far, this isn't a bad read, a well-paced space adventure. Solara isn't exactly an angel; given the chance, she proves she can be every bit as petty as Doran when the life of someone she despises in in her hands, though she does start feeling guilty about it as her plans go increasingly awry. (She doesn't want him dead, but she does want him to get some of his own back.) Doran, for his part, is a spoiled teen who simply never learned to consider others' feelings, or comprehend that life beyond the bubble of wealth is often cruel and unfair. He's smart enough to start figuring things out, at least.

Really need to get another physical book started...

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma - not the usual thing I read but it completely floored me. Dark and mythic but also such an intriguing take on a coming-of-age story in a country that's very far from my own. Surprising (or maybe it really isn't) to find how much there is in common in sibling dynamics, no matter the culture!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow Spell (trilogy by Nora Roberts and this second book is killing me but I will persevere)
Ice Queen (Alice Hoffman, I love her writing, but I'm struggling with this book, again I will persevere)

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Dragon Haven by Robin Hobb yesterday, and started/finished The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke today. I love the storyline! The second isn't at the library, so i had to fill out a form requesting they add it to their collection. But I don't know if can wait that long. I may break down and buy the magic of blood and sea (title of the series; both books were combined and published under that title recently). Until then, I've asked for a hold on Dragon City by Robin Hobb (third instalment; i need to finish this series, it's killing me) and The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron at the library.

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Has anybody read the Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth? I just finished it and found it not only a fascinating look at what makes a sentence/statement/passage memorable but surprisingly hilarious as well.
Who knew a book on rhetoric could make you laugh?

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Blood Meridian was...interesting.

Just started Since We Fell, by Dennis Lehane. One of my favourite writers and biggest influences. Loving it so far.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Since We Fell was great. Definitely recommending it.

Gonna start Michael Crichton's posthumously-released Dragon Teeth today.

ajwinter

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas, but since I've let it sit too long, I have to restart it! ;)

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
Just started reading The City and the City by China Mieville - hadn't read anything by him before and was a little skeptical to being with (it starts slowly and reminds me a little of a little of Christopher Priest, who's stories I usually like but find his writing a little cold and leaves me uninvolved) but I'm definitely coming around to it.

Has anybody ready anything else by him you'd recommend I read next?

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Dragon Teeth, by Michael Crichton. Man, I love Michael Crichton, but I totally see why he put this book in the trunk and never released it. It wasn't very good. At all. I am happy, however, that he returned to dinosaurs a few years later and wrote Jurassic Park, and then The Lost World.

Anyway, started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson, last night.