What are you reading?

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel.

Only about 1/4 of the way in. It's interesting stuff, but I'm having trouble getting through it.

I haven't touched it in two weeks, but from what I remember the numerous "characters" were hard to keep track of, the "story" jumped around, and the writing overall just seemed slow-paced and dull. I'm hoping it gets better. I was really looking forward to reading it since I have an interest in archives and museums, and I usually find military history books to be enthralling. Two of my favorite things--why is this book not turning out to be awesome?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Another month, another procrastination update...

Recently Read:
Range of Ghosts (Book 1 of the Eternal Sky series, Elizabeth Bear, fantasy, Kindle): As his father and uncle fight in a war that tears the once-great Khaganate asunder, scattering bodies and blood across the steppelands, Temur's near-death on the battlefield leaves him numb and weary of power struggles. He tries to find a simpler life as he joins a band of refugees - but a malevolent force has wakened the ghosts of the unmourned dead. When these ghosts steal Temur's new lover away from him, his quest to rescue her leads him across the ill-omened Range of Ghosts and across the path of a wizard woman. The troubles plaguing both their lands seem to be tied to a death-goddess cult and an ancient enemy known as the Carrion King, who rose from the mortal world to challenge the very gods in a fight that almost destroyed the world - and still could, if he returns.
This was Tor's October eBook-of-the-month selection; for once, I actually read it in the month it was offered. Bear bases her fantasy world on Asian, particularly Mongolian, mythology. Each of her many cultures have their own skies corresponding to their own gods; Temur's night sky has multiple moons, one for each of the Great Khan's living heirs, while another has a sun that sets in the east and rises in the west, and yet another has a waxing and waning moon like our own. Skies change when a land falls to new conquerors. There are also interestingly original (in my reading experience) magic systems and animals: the legendary rukh, living stone creatures known as talus, and even humanoid tiger people, one of whom comes into play as Temur's quest takes him further from the lands he knows. The characters seemed decently drawn for the most part, though it took some time for them to come together and set the main plot rolling; Bear used the time before to foreshadow events and lay enough promise for the future down to carry the audience through some necessary worldbuilding and establishment of ideas. There were a few plot elements that felt a little shaky towards the end, and I confess I never did quite keep all the places and peripheral characters straight, but for the most part I enjoyed this very different take on epic fantasy in a very different world. I'll have to track down Book 2 soon.

Some Like It Perfect (Book 3 of the A Temporary Engagement series, Megan Bryce, romance, Kindle): Artist Delia, in her mid-thirties, still lives the college-dropout life as the quintessential starving artist, couch-surfing on the good graces of her best friend Justine... but comes a time in any woman's life when suffering for one's art gets tiresome, even for a girl raised on a hippie commune. She swallows her pride and takes a job painting the ceiling of a CEO's office - never expecting to fall for a man who embodies every capitalistic idea she's spent her life rejecting. As she spars with CEO Jack, who finds her chaotic life and refusal to kowtow to his authority strangely refreshing and alluring, Justine feels the big 4-0 breathing down her neck, and starts to wonder if her lukewarm relationship with her own boyfriend is going anywhere or is robbing some of the last years she has to establish the family she's dreamed of since childhood.
Romances, in my reading experience, tend to be predictable, but that can be a good thing, especially when I'm given interesting characters who twist expectations a little. Here, I didn't get much that interested me. Delia and Jack just aren't that interesting, especially when a third wheel, Jack's rebellious teen half-sister, gets stuck in the middle of things as a glaring metaphor for growing up and learning to make one's own way in the scary world of adulthood. As for Justine's storyline, it falls back on so many cringeworthy tropes it pretty much crippled any enjoyment I might've otherwise had in the lightweight romance of the lead pair. (Apparently, the best way to strengthen a questionable relationship is to "oops" a man into a commitment, 'cause all guys really want to be fathers but just don't know it until a woman forces the issue. It's okay because she'll do 99% of the dirty work anyway.)

Unwanted: Dead or Alive (Book 1 of the Buck and Dobie series, Gene Shelton, western, Kindle): Hard-luck cowboys Buck and Dobie can't seem to catch a break. First a killer blizzard takes out most of the cattle from Canada to the southern border. Then a banker forecloses on the ranch, leaving them to look for work in a Texas panhandle crawling with unemployed cow-punchers with barely any cattle left to punch... then, when they do get a job, a brawl with a drunken ranch hand leaves the man accidentally dead. As a final blow, the banker spreads the word that Buck and Dobie are horse-thieves and cattle rustlers, putting a price on their heads sure to have everyone this side of the Mississippi aiming for them. Buck's convinced they're about at the end of their rope... a hanging rope, most likely. But Dobie has an idea. Since they've been forced to ride the "owlhoot trail" anyway, why not turn outlaw for real? It can't be that tough, and it has to pay better than being a cowboy in these parts - and maybe they can get some payback by cleaning out that crooked, lying banker. There's just one problem: neither Buck nor Dobie could steal an egg from a chicken, let alone cash from a bank.
This lighthearted western is chock full of colorful cowboy slang and spirited horses and fast getaways amid flying bullets. Buck and Dobie try their best, but they just can't seem to get the hang of this robbery business, though they persevere nonetheless: optimistic Dobie's perpetually convinced they'll learn the trade eventually, though in truth they never really seem to have a choice, with their perpetual bad luck always ready to get worse on them. About halfway through, they run into Marylou, a city girl itching for some wild times on the frontier; she joins up with their band when she forces them to kidnap her during a stage robbery gone wrong, and is largely responsible for their minimal successes. It's not especially deep, but it read fast, and it was fun.

I'm currently between titles; I'm trying to put energy and focus into a site overhaul, so it's taking a toll on my reading, particularly my reading of physical books. I'm poking at a hardcover fantasy - the idea sounded neat, but it's just not grabbing me, and I don't particularly like the MC, nor are the stakes gripping me. If it doesn't grab me in one more chapter it goes to the cull bag. I'm also poking at a new Kindle read, the first in Mercedes Lackey's new YA fantasy series (Hunted); some nice ideas, but it feels like it's deliberately dithering while she introduces ideas and worldbuilding backstory. I'm a little early in to decide if I'm going to push ahead or not, though I probably will.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
After slogging through Hold Tight (a disappointment, Mr. Coban), I needed something good to read. Lucky for me, our local library just had a book sale. Even luckier, The Throat by Peter Straub caught my eye.

Needless to say, I'm in bliss right now.

Dana_B

...living on hammock time...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-reading a Nora Roberts trilogy--The Circle Trilogy--because I read it so long ago, it's fresh to me lol

I adore her writing and it always inspires my own writing in that I want to write stories that make people feel like hers make me feel. *happy sigh*

kaylim

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading 'Stranger in a Strange Land' by Robert Heinlein which I'm not crazy about but I don't think is terrible either. Maybe I just don't get it or something.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I started Fahrenheit 451. I just finished "Something Wicked This Way Comes," and "The Martian Chronicles."

Yes, I'm on a Ray Bradbury binge. Funny thing is, I've always considered him one of my favorite authors but only just recently realized, I've never read anything by him!

I mean, I did read Martian Chronicles as a child, and possibly Fahrenheit 451 as well, but it was so long ago, I couldn't recall anything about either one other than having a vague feeling of satisfaction whenever I saw a copy of Chronicles. And I've read his short stories when they were published in various magazines or in a collection of Best of short stories where they included one of his stories, but I haven't ever read any of his novels or short story collections!

I intend to try to rectify that situation. I'm finding his writing to be intelligent and poetic, very charming.

Last edited:

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Tomboy Survival Guide by Ivan Coyote, and the third book in the series Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Both are really exceptional books, in really different ways. Coyote's books are autobiographical short stories that are so damn honest and easy to connect with. They're my favourite writer. The Peculiar series, on the other hand, is pure imagination. My favourite thing about the books is that nearly every character and plotpoint is inspired by an old photograph that Riggs borrowed from collectors. They were altered and changed, decades before Photoshop, to show invisible boys, floating girls, and strange animals. The idea of basing a series off of them in brilliant

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
A Madness So Discreet - Mindy McGinnis

Took me a few chapters to get into it. Which is usually not a good sign for me. I will usually put it down if it doesn't grab me right away. The writing is a tad too far on the literary side than my usual taste. But I'm glad I stuck with it, because now I'm getting used to McGinnis's style and voice and the plot is getting really interesting!

Thesala

Registered
Reaction score
The Blood Mirror (book 4 of the Lightbringer series) - Brent Weeks

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
The Red Pony by John Steinbeck.

I typically don't read more than one or two books by the same author. But I like what he does. What he consistently does. Every single time, it seems. I'm trying to analyze how he does it.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Mystic River, by Dennis Lehane. Before that it was Lehane's debut, A Drink Before the War. Before that, it was Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The Red Pony by John Steinbeck.

I typically don't read more than one or two books by the same author. But I like what he does. What he consistently does. Every single time, it seems. I'm trying to analyze how he does it.

My main memories of that book are of being very hacked off at the chapter we had to read in English class, and of that being a book my horse-loving sister literally threw across the room. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but first impressions...

And it hasn't been a month yet, but I'm procrastinating.

Last Finished:
The Adventurer's Guide to Successful Escapes (Book 1 in a series, Wade Albert White, MG fantasy, Kindle): On her 13th birthday, orphan Anne will finally get out of Saint Lupin's Institute for Perpetually Wicked and Hideously Unattractive Children, where she's toiled in the coal mines under the horrid Matron for as long as she can remember. But things go wrong when she gets a quest gauntlet stuck to her arm, a gauntlet that then activates itself with a rare and powerful Rightful Heir quest. This violates any number of laws with the Wizards Council, but there's nothing to be done about it - especially since failure will mean the destruction of her world.
A humorous send-up of fantasy tropes along the lines of Diana Wynne Jones's Dark Lord of Derkholm (or the more recent Bad Unicorn, by Platte F. Clarke) with some technological twists, this was a nice, fast read. The humor level approaches Adams or Pratchett at times with laugh-out-loud exerpts from in-world books, particuarly the not-necessarily-useful Adventurer's Guide book that Anne takes with her. Anne's a good heroine with competent friends, though she must solve many problems herself. She's also black, which unfortunately is still enough of a rarity in fantasy that it's worth noting and applauding. Sometimes it feels rushed and jumbled, and I would've liked to have known it was the start of a series when I picked it up (though the main arc resolves, many questions are left for future volumes). Enjoyable, and just what I needed at the time.

Currently Reading:
Last of the Giants (Jeff Campbell, nature, Kindle app on Nook): The author examines the fates of thirteen megafauna species - several driven to extinction, the rest on the brink - and why species diversity matters to humans.
It's an interesting idea, and so far it's a decent read, but the formatting on this eBook is absolutely atrocious. On most eBooks, you can adjust font size and orientation and it'll still work normally, but this one was so screwy I gave up reading it on my Kindle. Enlarging the font to a readable size meant I had to manually scroll around the page. On my Nook tablet (via Kindle app), it seems stuck in landscape mode with big white strips on either side of the very fine, eye-straining text. This will cost it in the ratings, but so far the content is keeping me reading.

Unbound (Richard L. Currier, history, Kindle): From sharpened spears and digging sticks to the modern age, technological advancements have shaped humanity's evolution and the world in which we live, making us the species we are today - for better or worse. The author focuses on eight pivotal developments that changed us, and the planet, forever.
An interesting look on the close link between human ingenuity and our very existence as a species.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Human traces by Sebasian Faulkes. I've never read anything by him before, but I'm absolutely loving it!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finishing the last chapter of Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. Fantastic writing, the book draws you in from page one and never lets you go.

It's about two young English women in WWII, working with the French underground in occupied France. One is captured, the other is her best friend who is flying planes despite the fact it's not yet acceptable for women pilots in the war, and their stories are intertwined in an intricate unraveling.

I didn't know if I was going to like the story because I'm not as interested in WWII as I am in sci-fi and other YA genres. But I absolutely loved this book. I should mention, romance is not part of the story, and it's probably more NA than YA.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
The Glorious Heresies. I picked up a copy out of nostalgia for the time I spent in Cork City, but there's very little of Cork in the book. Otherwise, it's okay, but nothing special so far.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne. Which, weirdly, is a mystery written by an English person, that's going to be made into a movie, just like the last book I read: In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware. I didn't realize these books had anything in common other than being mysteries until after I borrowed Ice Twins from the library. Clearly, I need to branch out haha

Last edited:

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Huge Wally Lamb fan. One of my heroes. I'll Take You There was good. I liked it, though it got a tad rambly near the end. I actually think his last novel, We Are Water, is his best novel. I am hoping his next novel is another sprawling family epic much like We Are Water or I Know This Much is True.

I finished that book last night, and started Rose Madder, by Stephen King, right after.