What are you reading?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Just started reading Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell. The 600th anniversary of the famous battle is in a couple of months. So far, it's a vivid, gritty tale, and seems fairly accurate. (Though he keeps referring to men wearing leather jerkins -- in 1414.)

Connecticut Yankee

Registered
Reaction score
Finishing up Winesburg, Ohio and recently started Pillars of the Earth.

I just finished the David Foster Wallace biography Every Love Story is a Ghost Story. I like to read two books at the same time to keep my brain fresh, so I am thinking of reading The Corrections as I haven't read it yet and Franzen is a recurring character in the DFW biography.

BeesKnees

Registered
Reaction score
Just starting into Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy, which I stumbled upon in a fun and quirky bookstore in Michigan. (When I really didn't need to buy another book.)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Helen Macdonald's H Is For Hawk. It make a good companion read for T.H. White's The Goshawk, which I read a few months ago.

citrine

writing the night away
Registered
Reaction score
Finishing up Tana French's The Secret Place. I'm always impressed by how thoroughly she humanizes her characters.

Natasitsa

Registered
Reaction score
Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky. I am nearing the end, and I literally bow in front of him; he is a genius!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Carnivores J.R. Levitt. One of the best I've read in a long time. Great voice, storytelling, characterizations, etc.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Dragonspell by Donita K. Paul. I'm surprised this books hasn't captured more attention. It's pretty good. It's the only book (except for any piece of literature) that has captivated me and given me a sudden urge to read the rest of the series. It's doesn't contain a lot of action. But it's amazing nonetheless.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Shipping News by Annie Proulx. It came highly recommended but I'm having trouble getting into it.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rumer Godden's In This House of Brede. A friend recommended it but it wasn't available in ebook format, and the paperback copy I got from Amazon is a difficult shape (small yet bulky - hard to find a handhold). Not far enough into it to tell if I'm going to like it.

Demeter

Dreaming North. Remembering Maine
Registered
Reaction score
Skyfaring, by Mark Vanhoenacker, beautifully written by a 747 pilot who loves his work, where it takes him, but, more than that, his unique view of the sky.

Escaliba

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swwofwa.com
Steamboat Gothic by Frances Parkinson Keyes.

Another brilliant book from this author, this one is based in Louisiana, beginning in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War.

rwomeldorf

Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Human Division by John Scalzi. Absolutely love the Old Man's War series.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Now: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
Before: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Before that: Little Children by Tom Perrotta
And before that: Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis
And right before that: Duma Key by Stephen King