What are you reading?

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Just finished I'll Scream Later by Marlee Matlin.

I'm not usually one for auto/biographies, but this one was excellent, and I've loved Marlee for quite a while, and I learned a few interesting things about her -- like being the youngest woman to win the Best Actress Oscar.

Liondel

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Grant Morrison's Supergods and now I've moved on to Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. Ever since I got a job in the city I've gotten a lot of reading done on the train.

saiko_neko

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished reading Moreno by Brina Svit. Well I had to read it for Creative Writing classes (I'm in a third year of Slovene studies). It's autobiographical, since she is talking about writing a novel and about starting to write in another language (French and not Slovenian anymore).

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. Now that I understand her writing style, I'm enjoying it.

planetzorb

Registered
Reaction score
I've just picked up Post Office by Charles Bukowski again after abandoning it for six months. It's actually much easier to read this time around.
I wonder why... *shrugs*

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Another month, another update:

Just Finished:
Summoned (Book 1 of the Summoned series), by Rainy Kaye, on Kindle - Dimitri's a twentysomething jinn bound to a Phoenix crime lord. He never thought to question his bleak existence as reluctant thief, kidnapper, and killer... until he ran into Syd, the one-night stand who wouldn't leave. Not bad overall, with an interesting, dark updating of genie lore, but it felt a little drawn out; the reader doesn't even learn Dim's a jinn until the 10-percent mark.

Before that, it was Dragons (Pete Hogarth with Val Clery), a 1979 hardcover exploration of dragons in various cultures and times. A decent Half Price Books find for my collection, with lots of great images.

Currently Reading:
The Best of Damon Knight, by Damon Knight, in paperback - a SF short story collection from the author of "To Serve Man" (source of the classic Twilight Zone ep of the same name.) Nice ideas, but the stories themselves, particularly the characters, are really showing their age.

SheepDip

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Mr Mercedes by Stephen King and I picked up Jurassic Park (again, oh boy). I loved Kings book - really tightly written and tense. I'm not normally a fan of King, he's a bit too Deus Ex for my tatses, but this was great.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which I absolutely loved. It's now my favourite book. I had actually missed the news that there was a BBC adaptation of it, but someone mentioned it just as I'd finished reading the book. I enjoyed the first episode.

After that, it was The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope. Another one I enjoyed a lot. I think I would have loved it if I'd read it when I was young.

I'm currently reading The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Euphoria by Lily King, then everything Lily King has ever written. Yes, I am loving it.

Vladimir Grimmasi

Registered
Reaction score
Creating Short Fiction by Damon Knight. It's more about writing in general than crafting short fiction, but it's great so far.

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished a trilogy by independent researcher Edwin R. Sweeny on Chiricahua Apaches. The books, listed below, .are part of the University of Oklahoma’s extensive, “The Civilization of the American Indian Series.”

Mangas Colorades: Chief of the Chiricahua Apaches, Cochise: Chiricahua Apache Chief, and From Cochise to Geronimo: The Chiricahua Apaches, 1874–1886

After reading Sweeney’s trilogy, I have come to the conclusion that the Spanish and Portuguese conquistadores beginning in the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] century, Mexicans after Independence, and Americans flooding west through New Mexico, in in hopes finding gold in San Francisco were as brutal and uncivilized, if not more so, than the Apaches.

Sweeney did not write the books in chronological order. Sweeney is an ardent admirer of Cochise. He wrote about Cochise first. Then he did a prequel on Mangas Colorades (Red Sleeves), who was Cochise’s father-in-law. The trilogy concludes with the volume, which covered the years 1874-1886.

Mangas Colorades was my favorite Apache. While the average Apache stood between 5’6” and 5’8”, Mangas was estimated between 6’4” and 6’7”. Sweeney describes him as generous man with a sense of humor. When not at war, he was apparently a kind and gracious man. In 1863, while under a flag of truce, the American military arrested Mangas. Soldiers killed him, claiming that he “tried to escape. The military buried Mangas, then dug up and mutilated his body, including decapitated. The mutilation incensed the Apaches as much as the death. According to Apache religion, the body enters “the happy place” and remains through eternity, just as it left this life. The betrayal and murder of Mangas Colorades lead in part to continuing hostilities that lasted another quarter century.

The third book, From Cochise to Geronimo: The Chiricahua Apaches, 1874–1886, is my favorite. The book on Cochise and Mangas Colorades describe endless battles in parts of Mexico and the United States. The third volume concentrates more on tribal life and then politics of resettling the Apaches.

I’ll mention few examples of Apache culture.

Unlike some Indian tribes, Apaches, for the most part, did not scalp people. By contrast, the Mexican states of Sonora and Chihuahua offered bounties for scalps generally ranging from about 100 pesos for a warrior, 50 for a woman, and 25 for a child. Bounty hunters from the U. S. frequently trafficked in Apache hair.

Although women and children frequently perished in battles with the Indians, by custom Apaches did not rape captive women, and frequently adopted captive children as their own.

Although Apaches, including women, smoked they did not smoke peace pipes. Instead, they smoked cigarettes rolled in oak leaves.

I would recommend this trilogy to anyone interest in Apache history. Sweeney’s books are well documented, mainly with primary sources.

Sweeney sums things up nicely near the end of volume three, From Cochise to Geronimo: The Chiricahua Apaches, 1874–1886. Sweeney writes: Removal off the Apaches to Florida in 1886, then to Alabama, then to Oklahoma “…was just another in a litany of broken promise and treaties dating back to Puritanical times in colonial Massachusetts. It remains today a national betrayal and an egregious disgrace unworthy of a country founded on the democratic ideals of liberty, equality, and justice for all.” p. 575

Last edited:

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Kwaidan (although my mother says, it's Kaidan in Japanese), which were Japanese folktales and ghosts stories collected by Lafacadio Hearn.

Just started a volume of Oscar Wilde's plays, for story research.

And I'm in chapter 8 or 9 of Les Miserables, which...I'm wondering why I wanted to read the book. Maybe the musical sufficed. It's chapter 8 and we're still talking about the Bishop.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Now: The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson.

Before that: Finders Keepers by Stephen King; The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker; The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker; Christine by Stephen King.

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Now: The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson.

Before that: Finders Keepers by Stephen King; The Scarlet Gospels by Clive Barker; The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker; Christine by Stephen King.
Just finished reading The Hellbound Heart. Very good book. Makes me want to watch Hellraiser again. :) And of course I love Christine, my first ever King novel.

What I'm reading: A Feast of Crows by George R. R. Martin, The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien