What are you reading?

SalomonTauber

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished "Hawthorn and Child" by Keith Ridgway. It started off well, his writing style is fresh and innovative and some of his use of imagery is breathtaking - the man can really write. However, the novel overall has no purpose and just seemed to be an endless series of shock-jock episodes that vaguely related to each other without hanging together at all, and then it just finished with no ending. Or maybe I completely missed something, but given how well it started, I was disappointed.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
Taking a break from the Cousins' War Series by Philippa Gregory. So far I've read The Lady of the Rivers, The White Queen, and The Red Queen. I really love this series and even better than the Tudor Court series. So far The White Queen is my favorite. I still have The Kingmakers Daughter and The White Princess waiting for me.

For now, because I'm obsessed with the show on PBS, I'm reading The Paradise by Emile Zola. It's a good book, and close enough to the show but I like the feminist version of Denise better on PBS haha.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
William F. Buckley: The Maker of a Movement - Lee Edwards

WriteRex

Registered
Reaction score
Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. I found it on my library's resource called "NoveList", and it gave me that book in one of the suggestions. I thought the book's synopsis sounded interesting, peeked at a couple of Youtube trailers, and finally checked out the e-book version at the library.

Jon M

I against I
Registered
Reaction score
Perdido Street Station. Been meaning to for a while.

RedRose

By any other name...
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished The Giver by Lowry and Dreaming of You by Kleypas. Great, great books.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
I'm reading Book of the Black Sun by G. W. Thomas and War of the Whisperers by Adam Niswander, a pair of Cthulhu Mythos books.

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
I finished the above and have moved on to Caging the Dragon: The Containment of Underground Nuclear Explosions by James Carothers, and The Forbidden Zone by Whitley Strieber.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I never read We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Rectifying that now.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the Earthsea stories, loved the first three books, Tehanu was too philosophical and the others were okay.

Just finished Vicious by V.E. Schwab, read it in two days, loved it. If anyone could recommend anything like it, go ahead.

Reading Something Wicked This Way Comes by Bradbury slowly...more for learning interesting prose than storytelling imo.

Trying hard to finish Way of Kings by Sanderson...I keep starting and stopping it. I'm only reading it because it's popular so I can learn and dissect why people love the story. I can understand why this appeals to nerds (no offense) though.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Might as well procrastinate update...

Just Finished:
(Nook)Riders of the Purple Sage, by Zane Grey. Classic Western set in frontier Utah, where a wealthy Mormon woman defies church elders and befriends a gunslinger. Nice descriptions of the deserts, the frontier, and even the horses, but I found the characters melodramatic and the plot - especially by the end - contrived.

Still Reading:
(Kindle) Write That Book Already!, by Sam Barry and Kathy Kamen Goldmark. Another how-to-write book, with a somewhat irreverent voice. So far, so good...

(Paperback) Island in the Sea of Time, by S. M. Stirling. An unknown phenomenon sends modern Nantucket Island and a nearby Coast Guard vessel back in time. I keep misplacing this one...

Jett.

House: RumNcoke; Sigil: Jelly Donut
Registered
Reaction score
"Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian
Absolutely blown away by the level of details and navy jargon, that at the same time make it difficult to read at first. At least on the kindle one can quickly check the words in the dictionary...

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone reading or has read Khalen Hosseini's latest novel? I am about 30% through the book and I have SUCH FEELS I need to share. >__<

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian
Absolutely blown away by the level of details and navy jargon, that at the same time make it difficult to read at first. At least on the kindle one can quickly check the words in the dictionary...

I had the same problem initially, but once I got in the groove I devoured the whole series and practically wept when I heard O'Brian died before completing the final book.

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty much all about romance right now.

I just finished two very nice novellas, Married for Christmas, by Noelle Adams, and The Story Guy, by Mary Ann Rivers. The latter featured some really exceptional writing, IMO.

Currently reading Cost of Repairs, by A.M. Arthur, my first M/M romance. It took a while to get into the story, but I'm glad I stuck with it.