What are you reading?

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly done with Duma Key, and officially sleeping with the lights on.

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
The Mabinogi, translated by Patrick K. Ford
Dubliners
Ulysses
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

...At some point the semester will be over; I take heart. (Actually, I don't mind Joyce, and The Mabinogi is awesome. It's just the midterm papers that are tripping me up.)

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading The Farming of Bones by Edwidge Danticat. It's amazing.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard.

He has a very unusual style.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
some kid novel that one of my freshmen left in the room. it is about jamestown and a forced marriage. i am hiding it so if the kid misses it and looks for it he won't find it. yeah--i know it is heartless and cold but i read faster than he does and he hasn't asked for it yet. jeeez. do i have a problem or what? i am a print junkie!!!!--s6

Last edited:

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
How to Become a Famous Writer Before You're Dead: Your Words in Print and Your Name in Lights, by Ariel Gore. I love her style - & there are a few things here I haven't seen before.

The Unnatural Inquirer, by Simon R. Green. I've been waiting for this one -- just picked it up last night. Love the Nightside series. :)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just started The Appeal, by John Grisham. Definitely a 'popcorn' read as opposed to filet mignon, but it is entertaining so far.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
The Mabinogi, translated by Patrick K. Ford
Dubliners
Ulysses
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

...At some point the semester will be over; I take heart. (Actually, I don't mind Joyce, and The Mabinogi is awesome. It's just the midterm papers that are tripping me up.)

Loved the Jared Diamond. Is there anything that man doesn't know?

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Just popped in to say I'm loving the novel I'm reading right now. In my old age I'm getting hypercritical and am not often able to finish a novel any more. I'm dreading this one ending. It's called The Sari Shop by Rupa Bajwa. Man, can that woman write. It's really about class differences. If you like Rohin Mistry, you'll like it. It would be fun to talk to someone else who would read it, if anyone's interested.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Just popped in to say I'm loving the novel I'm reading right now. In my old age I'm getting hypercritical and am not often able to finish a novel any more. I'm dreading this one ending. It's called The Sari Shop by Rupa Bajwa. Man, can that woman write. It's really about class differences. If you like Rohin Mistry, you'll like it. It would be fun to talk to someone else who would read it, if anyone's interested.
I LOVE Rohinton Mistry. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll be looking for this one.

Jordi

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to start rereading the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon in readiness for when the next one comes out in August.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i am reading a book of recipes--czech and slovak recipes. my old college roomie sent it to me. she is slovak. i am czech. her grandmother and mom used to keep us supplied with kolache and all the fixings while we were at school. i don't cook myself, but my characters do.--s6

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
The Terror by Dan Simmons. It's slow going compared to the others of his I've read.

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readingwritingrachel.blogspot.com
BlueTexas, I tried to read The Terror awhile back. It was good, but I just had too much trouble getting into it, and it was a library book, so I never finished. Let me know if it's worth a second chance!

I just finished reading Sara Zarr's Story of a Girl, which was EXCELLENT. Highly recommended. Right now I'm reading Lady Macbeth by Susan Fraser King and The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. LM is good so far (I'm about 50 pages in), and TWH is actually another "second chance" book. I read about half of it last summer then put it down because it was really dragging. However, the non-draggy parts were so good that I thought it warranted another try. I'm not a huge Anne Rice fan, but when she's good, she's great; I think she does Southern Gothic like nobody's business!

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading Twilightby Stephenie Meyer...for about the thirtieth time while I'm at home. During school I'm reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen...for the third time.As soon as my friend finishes House of Leaves, and returns it to the library (sadly I don't know the authors name, and there is only one copy) I'll be reading that as well.