What are you reading?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Just starting The Cuckoo's Calling, which JK Rowling published under the name Robert Galbraith.

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
The Wishbones - Tom Perrotta.

I really liked Election but I'm having trouble getting into this.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Still trying to slog through UNDER THE DOME, Stephen King. We have the miniseries set to record, started watching that. . . the book is nothing like the movie.

Neither thrills me at this point. IMO, the miniseries is trite, formulaic. The novel is tedious. Why am I subjecting myself to such hell?

To borrow from my mc: Because you're an idiot, you idiot.

:)

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Neil Gaiman.

Totally enjoyed it.

LaBelette

The Weasel
Registered
Reaction score
This morning I finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, probably better known as the novel the movie Blade Runner is based on. The novel and the movie are so different, and yet sometimes eerily similar, with what seem like entire scenes copy-pasted from one medium to another.

MJDavis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I just finished up books 1 and 2 of the Divergent series. I loved book 1, but book 2 lost me for a while. The writing isn't spectacular, but it's a good story.

PandaMan

Panda girls are the best!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Famished Road by Ben Okri and listening to an audio of The Count of Monte Cristo. It's fascinating experiencing these completely different, yet highly praised books, at the same time.

LaBelette

The Weasel
Registered
Reaction score
Started reading The Moon Is Down by Steinbeck today. I'm already halfway through, it's really short. Which disappoints me; it seems like it has potential to be a much longer work. But I get it was distributed as Allied propaganda to occupied resistance movements during the war, so size was probably an issue.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Wonders of the Invisible World by Patricia McKillip. [SPOILERS:] I loved her early works. Loved. Yet for the past 15(?) years her books have had this cloud of misery hanging over them. This is a collection of short stories, and they're incredibly well-written... and depressing as hell. After I finished the collection I watched something silly and lighthearted on TV as an antidote. The only non-miserable ending is her retelling of "The Twelve Dancing Princesses"--and Robin McKinley retold that one better (IMO). I am giving up on McKillip after years of struggle. It's sad. I didn't want to.

ShayneTWright

Registered
Reaction score
Zima Blue by Alastair Reynolds

9780575084551.gif

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Dork Diaries and Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Also sort of reading Wonderstruck by Brian Selznik. It's not really my cup of tea. Mostly I'm reading it all for research...

BUT I just finished The Shifting Price of Prey by Suzanne McLeod and loved it. (It's urban fantasy set in London, and the fourth book in the series.)

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Buffalo Lockjaw, by Greg Ames

lindairvine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-irvine.com
Fatelessness by Imre Kertesz - his writing is incredible. Picked it up after The Paris Review's interview in their Summer 2013 issue.

Also picked up 20th Century Russian Poetry again after reading their Pasternak interview from 1960... I'll never forget my first reaction to Marina Tsvetayeva's poetry...

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I gave up on Under the Dome. I just can't do it. I'm disappointed and irritated. I can't help but feel that King was really self-indulgent writing the thing, putting in whatever he wanted, going off on tangents. It's not a sharply written, well-told story. The book is over a thousand pages long because it's bloated with incidental crap, imo. I can't abide that.

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime. Glutton for punishment and all that. Or maybe it's a sign that I should stop reading other peoples' stuff for a while and finish writing my own.