What are you reading?

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
There's a film for The Amazing Mr Blunden, too - I think Diana Dors was in it as an evil housekeeper.

I've just finished Miss Garnet's Angel, by Salley Vickers, and I'm now looking for anything else she ever wrote!
It's a delightful story, weaving together a retired school teacher's visit to Venice with the Biblical story of Tobias and the Angel.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get to the book store for weeks, so back to the shelves: Just finished Life on the Mississippi and Huck Finn, now on Brautigan's Trout Fishing in America.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. What a weird, wild ride.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Recently finished: Lovely Bones and Almost Moon by Alice Sebold
Reading now: Road to Hell by Jackie Kessler, Strangers in Death by J. R. Robb/Nora Roberts and A Guinea Pig's History of Biology by Jim Endersby

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the Dark Tower series finally about 2 weeks ago. I was reading Michael Flynn's Firestar but, man, it moves slow. I'm taking a break from it to read Anne Rice's Blood Canticle.

Manderley

Slowly does it.
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Drowning Tree by Carol Goodman, and have started a biography of sorts of Sartre and Beauvoir, Tête-à-tête by Hazel Rowley.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Come On People! by Bill Cosby and Dr. Alvin Poussaint because I'm tired of feeling bad about how some Black people act and I enjoy reminding myself that the worst of us don't represent all of us.

:idea:

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
Tithe by Holly Black

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I finished Pat Wood's Lottery, John E. Robison's Look Me in the Eye, then I picked up a copy of his brother's book Running With Scissors. Now I'm into an ARC of Therese Fowler's Souvenir and I hope to start Patry Francis's The Liar's Diary very soon.

Boy, and I thought I wasn't reading enough!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I'm going to start Greenspan's Bubbles in a few minutes (and probably finish it today -- short book). Went to B&N to buy that and came home with that and a few other current affairs/economics books. It is dangerous to go into that store, esp. with a discount coupon in hand.

--Ken

P.S. finished it this morning. Excellent book. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

ACEnders

Self-Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
strugglingwritersblog.blogspot.com
I find Jane Austen hilarious. She just cracks me up. It's like Bridget Jones or something. What's Cody McFadyen like?

Now I'm about 1/3 into Face of Death by Cody McFadyen...it's pretty good. It's a bit more gory than I'd anticipated, but the writing's good, and the style changes throughout the book, which is pretty effective in telling the story. I'm enjoying it a lot!

Reaction score
I'm reading Arthur Gelb's City Room. Gelb joined the New York Times in 1944 as a copyboy and retired 45 years later as managing editor. He's an engaging writer and his historical anecdotes are first rate.

Just finished Nathan Miller's New World Coming: The 1920s and the Making of Modern America. It's nicely written and an excellent--short--history of the Jazz Age.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I just finished Toothpaste's Alex and the Ironic Gentleman. It was terrific - way to go Toothpaste!

Now I have to pick something new from the pile of TBR's. I have James Owen's Search for the Red Dragon, which I've been dying to read since I got it in January. It's the second in the Imaginarium Geographic series. The first was fabulous, so I want to relish the next.

Lane, I love the '20's - that book sounds interesting.