What are you reading?

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. Still can't figure out whether the man was pure genius or annoyingly pretentious. Perhaps both. I get the feeling that he was trying to hard too be "great" whenever I read his work.

Started The Adventures of Auggie March by Saul Bellow this morning. Trying to get around to some of the classics that I've neglected to read.

names

Registered
Reaction score
I love you's are for white people. It was written by a vietnamese immigrant who settled in california who had a father who was escaping the viet cong at the time.

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
A Conspiracy of Friends, Alexander McCall Smith

POSSIBLE
SPOILER

I think he's writing James out of the Corduroy Mansions series since James said he was asexual (in so many words in the last book). I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Emma Donoghue's Room. It's got a great premise, but I had major issues with some of the plot points as well as the 5 year-old narrator, Jack, who has lived in one room his entire life with only his mother and a television set for company. His mother doesn't talk baby-talk to him and the TV sure doesn't - so his form of baby-talk, while intriguing at first, grows irritating. The book peaks about halfway through and then fizzles.

On the upside, it's a fast read. I liked Donoghue's Slammerkin and wanted to like this, but it just didn't work for me.

SJNew

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thelanguageofimagination.blogspot.co.uk
Just started The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter. I read and loved The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories when I read it for uni two years ago so I've been looking forward to reading more of her stuff. Enjoying it so far. :)

pattycat

Registered
Reaction score
Finally digging in to Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and also Laini Taylor's Days of Blood and Starlight.

tpolen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teripolen.com
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This is a book club read and probably not one I would have picked up for myself. It's kept me interested, but never have I disliked MCs more than in this book. If two people ever needed long term counseling, it's definitely them - but I doubt it would help.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
The Medium by C.J. Archer. A spiffy book about a medium in Victorian England. I'm rather enjoying it.

P-Jay

My name is PJ.
Registered
Reaction score
Just got around to actually start reading Hunger Games...

TheKoB

Smooth Operator
Registered
Reaction score
Fuenteovejuna by Lope De Vega

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Seconded to PattyCat. I am also reading Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor.

The other two I'm working my way through are Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and her daughter, and Past Perfect by Leila Sales.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno, which had a great premise but dull execution. It takes real talent to make a book about P.T. Barnum's American Museum dull.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished "Freedom At Midnight", about the partitioning of India, which was amazing. I learned a lot.

I started the "Guernsey Literary blah blah blah"... got about 15 pages in and the "all letter" format annoyed the hell out of me, so I gave it up.

Then tried "Instance of the Fingerpost." The language was too flowery for my frame of mind.

Finally settled on "Child 44" by Tom Robb Smith. The writing isn't stellar (I've already found a prominent misplaced modifier, which makes me crazy...), but he's weaving a good story.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I just started A Rocky Mountain Christmas by William W Johnstone. It's pretty good. Not very Christmassy though... ;)

devilsjunkshop

my weariness amazes me
Registered
Reaction score
Just started Dennis Lehane's Live By Night. Gangsters and bootlegging and such.

I had been reading Great North Road but I abandoned that one because I was getting bored. Haven't had much luck with Peter F Hamilton books in the past, and GNR was no exception :-/