What are you reading?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See.
I began this book a few weeks ago but couldn't get into it -- very slow start, a lot of exposition, begins with a description of daily life for a Chinese farmer family. So I put it away. Just finished reading it, and have to say it's wonderful. Very touching story, and excruciating to read as it goes into the details of foot-binding.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Kittyhawk Pilot by James Edwards

Tis another free book. A WW2 veterans account of his experienced as a fighter pilot flying Kittyhawks. I'm only a few chapters in and it's pretty good so far. Seems a bit lacking in detail in parts though but still, can't complain since it was free. I read a lot of war biographies and haven't read any by a Kittyhawk pilot yet so gives me a new perspective to read about :)

It's still available for free on Kindle btw if anybody is interested in getting it.

TheBuckMopsHere

Just a dude with a song in his head
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.questionablesource.blogspot.com
For fiction I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. It's not as good as Under the Dome as far as his later works are concerned, but it's a solid yarn.

For non-fiction, I've been reading Robert Greene's 33 Strategies of War. If you're a history buff or someone who likes to draw inspiration from such, Greene is your guy. I read 48 Laws of Power a while back and it was a great cornucopia of history lessons and stories.

Joseph753

Registered
Reaction score
I'm almost finished reading "Jung: A Very Short Introduction" -- yes, nonfiction. Is that becoming an extinct species?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Finished Drawn into Darkness. Light, enjoyable. FMC, MMC, and major villains = all well done. The smex scenes were good but the book wouldn't have suffered without them. Unfortunately, it seems the series switches to another FMC and MMC, like Sh0walt3r's butterfly-tattooed immortals series.

Steph

Worst.
Registered
Reaction score
Just getting started on A Game of Thrones. So far, I am pleasantly surprised. I'm usually not one for fantasy, series, or giant books, so it's a big deal that I'm actually enjoying this one. The writing is really relaxed, I feel. I might just feel that way because I just read a bunch of Tolkien and his writing is much more formal, but I'm not sure what to make of it yet. The plot is riveting, though. :)

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Gormenghast, slaves & Indians

I've been reading Gormenghast on and off. It is a difficult book for me to get into, as was Titus Groan, though that one really built to some dramatic stuff.

In the meantime I'm reading American Uprising (research for a WIP). It's about the German Coast slave revolt of 1811 (in Louisiana, yeah, it's got a German Coast). I'm a bit exasperated at the "he would have..." qualifier tagged onto all the author's speculation. Frankly, the author has very few facts about this ill-documented event, so he rounded it out with rather clumsily-worded speculation. Ends up like a pedantic history that wants to be grand legend, but is neither fish nor fowl. The subject matter deserved better.

For contrast I'm also reading Crazy Horse by Mari Sandoz. No f***in' qualifiers for Ms. Sandoz! It's a biography written like a novel. A lot of her work was original research with elderly kin of Crazy Horse. She may not have been the most foot-note driven historian, but by God she could tell a story and make you care! :guns:

alexward1981

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lxword.com
Finished Child 44. It was an excellent book but the 'twist' ending was a little bit obvious. It also seemed to rely quite heavily on Deus Ex Machina in places.

I'm now reading 'Feed' by Mira Grant, I love zombie stories (World War Z being amongst my favourite books) so I'm expected to enjoy this one. So far, so good :)

Snowball2695

Registered
Reaction score
Having to read The Great Gatsby for my English class.
It's not a bad book, I just love to hate any book I have to read in English.

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
Couldn't sleep last night and decided to read the boy in the striped pijamas (which had been lying around but untouched). I knew what it would be about but still cried at the end. Felt hollow well into the morning. Don't think I slept better for it.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Dead Silver by Neil McMahon.....hard-boiled noir meets modern Montana. Really like the dialogue between the MC and his friend Madbird.

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
It's in my favorite genre but it left me unsatisfied for some reason.
Not a bad read by any means just curiously unsatisfying.

I also just finished another old pulp short Train for Flushing by Malcolm Jameson. Interesting old pulp story that I found online.

Adrian

Liz_cm

New, but ready and revving to go
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanne Clark, it took some time for me to get into but the farther I got into it the more engaging it became. I would say I didn't really start to like it till I got past 50% of the book. Although, one has to like that style/tone of writing since she is writing in a very pastiche style.

Right now, I am finishing "The Name of the Wind" by Patric Rothfuss.

After those two fantasy novels I hope to dig into Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake"...I know a complete change of pace.