Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Silas, I feel so old now...

Macca

Registered
Reaction score
My quick read is Ratking, Michael Dibden's first Zen mystery. My ongoing long read is still Dickens' Bleak House. Got such a backlog of new books I want to read too. Difficult to allocate reading time when one has so little time to do any, actual quality writing.

bongalak

Registered
Reaction score
I just started "Dune" by Frank Herbert. I'm in 100 pages and so far it's pretty fascinating, and I'm really enjoying his writing style. Can't wait to finish this book!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Finally getting around to reading Richard Dawkins's Climbing Mount Improbable (tucked aside for years). Have to get back to the ginormous God's War, too, which I started and set aside for a while. (Very detailed, and hence dense reading.) Nearly half-way through Dying for a Dance (very good so far -- author is hitting her stride in this, her second novel). Also, reading/editing manuscript for a new book about Pancho Villa and the Mexican Revolution. Authors will publish that next year.

--Ken

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Little Dorrit (again). It's not one of my go-to Dickens (Bleak House, Our Mutual Friend, A Christmas Carol, A Tale of Two Cities), but I'm on deadline with my own very modern mystery and my brain craved something classic and leisurely and (shh!) a wee bit overwritten. :) Plus, Dickens created some of the most realistic characters in the world, making even the minor characters so real I expect to see one of them walking down the street.

/opinionated opinion

Reaction score
The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright. It's a fast read, but I feel removed. The main character is emotionless, even while describing her extra-marital affair. It's supposed to be passionate, but I'm just feeling 'meh' permeating every scene.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
The Faster I Walk, The Smaller I Am by Kjersti A. Skomsvold. Interesting premise for a book and a well-told story of an elderly lady written by the young author.

Deizelcore

This is not a user title
Registered
Reaction score

Just finished reading the second book out of five. If the rest of it is as good as what I've already read - it's quite likely that I will no longer answer "Joyce" when asked "Who's your favorite author?"

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I finished Cain by Jose Saramago. While I can usually adapt to different writing styles, this one took some effort. The story is irreverent, imaginative and cheeky.

Started Black Swan Green by David Mitchell. It's a pretty insightful picture of the life of a 13 year old boy.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Black Swan Green by David Mitchell - quite an enjoyable coming-of-age book.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Gave up on Naked Lunch after only 20 pages. I've heard such good things, but I was completely lost from the very begging and it started to get frustrating.

I just started The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni. I'm about halfway through it, very decent so far.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Sun Dogs" by Robert Olen Butler

Now reading "The 158-Pound Marriage" by John Irving

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Just finished The Lucifer Code by Charles Brokaw and was pretty disappointed. Lots of action and suspense throughout but it just sort of fizzled out at the end as if the author wasn't really sure how he was going to wind the thing up and didn't put much thought into it.