What are you reading?

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the middle of Battle Cry by Leon Uris. It's set during World War 2 just after pearl Harbor and it follows a bunch of new recruits as they go through boot camp in preperation for joining the war. At 692 pages it's a hefty read but very engrossing. Also very moving at times.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Just finished The Appointment by Herta Muller and found it a compelling read. I can imagine it won't be to everyone's taste, but it's the second of her novels that I've read recently and I'm looking forward to reading more from her (one more on the shelf waiting).

BubbleToes

Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished Misery by Stephen King. Now I'm probably around 250 pages into 'Salem's Lot. It's getting scary! I never thought i'd be one for horror, but now... They're really compelling!!!

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've just finished Misery by Stephen King. Now I'm probably around 250 pages into 'Salem's Lot. It's getting scary! I never thought i'd be one for horror, but now... They're really compelling!!!

Both great books. You will also most likely enjoy The Shining, if you haven't already read it. It's my fav book by King.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
The Jungle Book!

I love it, first time I've read it since I thought it may be a little outdated in its language and such and so hard to read but nope, it's great.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
The Thin Red Line by James Jones. So far I think it's a step down from From Here To Eternity and The Pistol, the preceding works in Jones' series of World War II novels. This book is definitely a tough read: it's extremely violent, grim, and cynical, and (in my opinion, of course) not as well-written as Jones' other stuff.

I'm down to the last 100 pages (500 pgs. altogether), so I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
My favorite King book is The Stand. And every time I say this, I hear a bunch of "Ew" from King snobs, but my husband and I read Dreamcatcher together, and we enjoyed it a lot.

Everything I own besides my cats and my computer is packed right now, so I'm not reading anything, but I just finished Jessica's Trap by Kevin Hillman. Loved it.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite King book is The Stand. And every time I say this, I hear a bunch of "Ew" from King snobs, but my husband and I read Dreamcatcher together, and we enjoyed it a lot.

Everything I own besides my cats and my computer is packed right now, so I'm not reading anything, but I just finished Jessica's Trap by Kevin Hillman. Loved it.

I like The Stand, I just think it was drawn out too long. :tongue

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Among several books read on recent vacation was The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration, by Isabel Wilkerson. It is a tour de force. So help me, I was on a cruise ship, with every kind of amenity imaginable, and could not put the book down except for necessities. Every American should read it. I've seldom encountered more readable prose or a more compelling story.

--Ken

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (for the hundredth time). :D

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
HP and the Order of the Phoenix.

And to shake things up a bit, Richelle Mead's Succubus Blues. First time reading any of her books, but I am enjoying it.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Just finished "Sizzling Sixteen" by Janet Evanovich. Dumber than a box of hair. Time for Stephanie to turn in her handcuffs and find another job. I think I smiled maybe twice. The last two or three books in the series have been retreads. I feel like I'm reading the same book over and over - this is my last Plum book, fur sur.

Carlene

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of hardcovers, but last night, for the grand sum of $11.86, I picked up both Marilynne Robinson's Home and Francine Prose's Goldengrove from the Barns & Nobles remainders table. What a score, and it's not even Xmas yet.

(I do hope the authors get their cut first. If not, do I need to adjust my book-buying habits?)

Last edited:

MissJones89

Writing is inevitable
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read John Lutz's "In For The Kill", and I'd like to know if any of you have read the previous books in same series? Would you recommend them?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Satanic Verses. Reading Augustine's Confessions and Steven Moore's The Novel: An Alternative History.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still reading Shake Hands with the Devil by Romeo Dallaire. It's a slow read for me, but it's very compelling. It's about the genocide in Rwanda and it's quite sad so I can't read a ton of it at a time.