What are you reading?

Greeble

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
"To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, but I'm not sure whether I'll finish it. I'm one-third through and already bored to tears. It's so bad that I wished the mad dog that appears at one point would attack the main characters and put them out of their and my misery.

frolzagain

Registered
Reaction score
I'm halfway through The Hunger Games. Better late than never. lol

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. I didn't like the movie Atonement, but I'm gonna give one of his books a chance.

Cory, I've just finished Ian McEwan's "Saturday", which I thought excellent and much better than "Atonement", even though as a non-Londoner all his london references were lost on me.

I'm now reading Jonathan Clement's biography of Ying Zheng, The First Emperor of China, which is interesting though somewhat hard going. (I felt I had to broaden my historical horizons as my son has just gone to spend 6 months in Xian.)

RevisionIsTheKey

Sigh...
Registered
Reaction score
Wherever there is dulce de leche ice cream
The Murder Room by Michael Capuzzo. Fascinating content about true crimes that a group of real law/forensic/psychology types meet regularly to try to solve. But horrid writing. Purple prose, metaphor-laden, disjointed. I wondered how it got into print without an editor, then read the acknowledgements and found thank you's to around 7 people who helped in that capacity. (The author must have compromising photos of them or something.) So for those who want to practice their editing skills while reading, this is the book to choose.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
took a break from "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson to read Alice McDermott's "Charming Billy" and am liking it so far :)

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Sinclair Lewis: Rebel from Main Street by Richard R. Lingeman. Having just read Babbitt and Elmer Gantry (and having read Main Street a year or two ago), it is especially interesting. Sinclair Lewis was fiercely hardworking as a writer, and a thororoughly interesting character. Fine book for writers, I think, as well as for readers. I have Lewis's Dodsworth and Arrowsmith ready to read soon (in a Library of America volume). Also at hand, a very used copy of Gideon Planish (1943), one of Lewis's lesser-known novels, and a mass market paperback copy of It Can't Happen Here. (By a curious coincidence, my copy of Gideon Planish was published as a 1946 reissue by The World Publishing Company of Cleveland and New York, for which my late father worked for many years as etymological editor of Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language.)

--Ken

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett (loved, loved, LOVED it!!) and now I'm on to The Girl Who Played With Fire. More of the same from Stieg.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Camilla, I have this on my reading list.
Yeah, you can read Les Miserables some time. But make sure to get a version that is not abridged. I'm not sure about the one I read. It was not stated that it was abridged, but it was only 600 pages while some Internet reviews said that it should be 1400 pages.

ColetteStreet

A real life fictional character.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acidshaus.blogspot.com
I'm continuing my summer and fall of reading the Literary Brat Pack. I just finished Bret Easton Ellis's Imperial Bedrooms and I have moved onto Ellis's Rules of Attraction. Going to attack some more Jay McInerney novels next.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
I've had quite a prolific week! ...If anybody cares...

The World Without Us, Alan Weisman (it's interesting but not written too well; perhaps because, well, it's a popular science book).

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, Philip Pullman (I didn't think too much of this one - at least until the end; sadface).

Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins. :heart::heart::heart:

Spies, Michael Frayne (I was supposed to read the first thirty pages for school, and kind of accidentally read the whole thing... Now I'll have to watch my mouth and pretend to be surprised. DRAT!!)

Now back to Persuasion, from which I keep getting distracted.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
The Cossacks, Leo Tolstoy. Just finished it. Quite short. I read it instead of War & Peace, because I'm afraid of that one because of its length.

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
I'm finally going through the science library (12 cartons of books) my Dad left behind. Last few read were:

- "God: The Failed Hypothesis" by Victor Stenger - a very thorough step-by-step treatment of the subject, if you're into that

- "Not Even Wrong" by Peter Woit - on how string theory has tied up almost every physics department for decades now without producing a single testable idea; though it has produced advances in abstract mathematics

- "What Do You Care What Other People Think" by Richard Feynman - a suprisingly non science book, just life & travels & tales of being human

- and (oddly) "The Cleft & other tales" by Gahan Wilson, with fun illos by Edward Gorey

= s

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Picked up Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, since I keep hearing about it. Read about the first 100 pages last night, and I really like it so far.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Sinclair Lewis's Gideon Planish (1943 novel). Charming, so far. Even when not near his best, Sinclair Lewis could write rings around most writers, IMHO.

Yesterday I finished Richard Lingeman's bio. of Lewis. Whew! Dazzling life story. Highly recommended.

--Ken

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett (loved, loved, LOVED it!!) and now I'm on to The Girl Who Played With Fire. More of the same from Stieg.

I loved The Help, too. <3

I recently read Sarah's Key (Tatiana de Rosnay), a horrifying and heartbreaking holocaust story. I highly recommend it.

I wanted to read Juliet (Anne Fortier) next, but when I went to buy it, it wasn't available, so I ended up with Cleo (The Cat Who Mended a Family) (Helen Brown) because I love cats, and the cover caught my eye. It's billed as "the next Marley & Me." So far, so good.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I loved The Help, too. <3

I recently read Sarah's Key (Tatiana de Rosnay), a horrifying and heartbreaking holocaust story. I highly recommend it.
I read Sarah's Key right before I read The Help. It was lovely to read two such compelling (yet different) novels in a row. I recommend them both (although the edge goes to The Help).