What are you reading?

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Sunday, I finished Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. Delightful book!

Sunday, I started Left Behind by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I'm to page 80. but not sure whether I like it or not.

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. People said it would be boring and depressing but I find it hilarious. Absurd things happen all the time. Very good book.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Sunday, I started Left Behind by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B. Jenkins. I'm to page 80. but not sure whether I like it or not.

I threw it across the room when finished. I hadn't seen so many 2D characters in one place since Saturday morning cartoons.

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. People said it would be boring and depressing but I find it hilarious. Absurd things happen all the time. Very good book.

I love almost everything Dickens wrote. My 3 faves are A Christmas Carol, Bleak House, and Our Mutual Friend. Closely followed by A Tale of Two Cities.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have Ishmael readiy to read on the plane...

...and Fight Club for the return flight.

Though after watching Dorian Gray with uber-hot Ben Barnes I might pick up a copy of the Oscar Wilde classic, The Picture of Dorian Gray in London (it's been too long since I read it).

Michelle Maibelle

Registered
Reaction score
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. I didn't like the movie Atonement, but I'm gonna give one of his books a chance.

R.M. Watts

dead account
Registered
Reaction score
The Sea of Monsters from the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series. :cool:

R.M. Watts

dead account
Registered
Reaction score
Though after watching Dorian Gray with uber-hot Ben Barnes I might pick up a copy of the Oscar Wilde classic, The Picture of Dorian Gray in London (it's been too long since I read it).

And I'm definitely going to have to check that movie out. I have the book just idling in my Nook. Should probably give that a shot, too. :rolleyes

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Joyce's Finnegan's Wake.

I'm disturbed by the fact that everything that is to be said in the book is said in the first page and nothing is left to be said in the next six hundred pages.

Last edited:

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
I also tried Finnegans Wake. I only came 1/3 into it and I didn't understand much. Too difficult for me. There were some cool formulations though.

Today I finished Great Expectations by Dickens. I recommend it to everyone. It's a great book and I cried at the ending.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Connelly's Scarecrow, will be moving on to Patterson's Silent Witness... but only after finishing the latest Boating, Flying, and Sport Fisherman magazines. :D

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Nicholas Nickleby. 171 years later, and still no one does suspense like Dickens.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Airfields of the Second World War by Robin J Brooks.

Felt like a change from fiction to non-fiction :)

Tis a really informative book too.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Recently read Death at Intervals and Blindness, both by Jose Saramago, and Transition by Iain Banks. Just finished The Passport by Herta Muller.

Blue Istari

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amysanderson.wordpress.com
I'm about a third of the way into THE ANUBIS GATES by Tim Powers. I've got to admit that the first few chapters didn't grab me, but I've been recommended this book so many times that I've persevered and now things have started to get more interesting! :)

PEBKAC2

Will crit for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about a third of the way into THE ANUBIS GATES by Tim Powers. I've got to admit that the first few chapters didn't grab me, but I've been recommended this book so many times that I've persevered and now things have started to get more interesting! :)

I liked this quite a bit. I thought it was extremely predictable the first half of the book or so, but it has some fun twists.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Two-thirds into Middle Age: A Romance by Joyce Carol Oates, which will be the 37th novel or book-length novella of hers that I'll have read.

Michelle Maibelle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to start reading Dickens... He seems to be pretty popular...

Didn't like On Chesil Beach. Moving on to Medicus: A Novel of the Roman Empire.